ARRAY(0xad0de384)

Profile for Tom Timmermans > Reviews

Content by Tom Timmermans

Tom Timmermans (Belgium, Europe)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Father's Day (TROMA) [DVD]
Father's Day (TROMA) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Adam Brooks Matthew Kennedy Conor Sweeney
Price: 4.26

4.0 out of 5 stars A movie with guts, 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: Father's Day (TROMA) [DVD] (DVD)
It' a Troma film so you know what to expect... Low budget, comedy, horror, all-out weirdness, violence, blood, gore & guts, nudity and basically a film with so many elements that are wrong on every possible level... that it just feels right.

Very loosely based on the urban myth about the "Father's Day Killer" it's your typical Troma-fare. And just when you think the movie's finished... they actually turn it up a notch! Unbelievable!

For me this is a very entertaining 4-star feature. Great film, although personally I prefer "Poultrygeist". That's my favourite Troma, worth 5 stars.

Iocean X6 dual core 1.2GHz 4.3'' HD IPS display 3G android 4.0 ice cream sandwich dual SIM smartphone GPS (Qualcomm MSM8225, 2 second power on, 720P video recording and playback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice - just one flaw, 14 Sep 2012
First my experience with Dracotek: I really can't fault these guys. Very proactive, forward-thinking, very communicative. They have their own QC in the store which seems to work well. Top seller!

The phone was shipped with YanWen (Chinese couriers) to UK and onward by GLS. The phone reached me in 4 business days. Packaging was good in plenty of bubble wrap.

Everything that was promised was inside:
1 phone
2 batteries
1 pair of earphones
1 USB cable
1 European two-pin plug
1 soft leather case
1 8gb sd card - already installed in the phone
1 screen protector
1 light blue silicon protective shell (random colour, they also have green, yellow and pink)

The SD card contains a lot of fun apps (cut the rope, go launcher ex, etc) ready to install. Just click install on the ones you want and you're done.

I slotted my SIM card in there (there are 2 SIM slots if needed!) and turned on the phone. It starts up very fast and I was pleasantly surprised to see Dracotek already set it up in English for me. Battery was charged to 69%.

Camera's 5mp. Very clear pix - downloaded and checked on my laptop. Good quality pix.

Screen's very responsive and the processor's really snappy. Android 4.0 ICS runs smoothly on this phone so far without any hangups.

Call quality is good even on bluetooth in the car.

Didn't have Talking Tom and Fruit Ninja, as mentioned in the spec, but those are easy enough to find and install.

The phone's well made from tough, durable plastics. Nothing squeeks or scrunches and all the parts fit 100%. I can't say this for some A-brand phones I've had!

Battery life so far is very good for an Android device. With a lot of fiddling about (new phone, you see!) it's still at 90% after more than half a day. Reckon with my regular use I should be able to get 4 - 5 days out of the battery.

Only drawback, but they're honest and mention it in the specs: it does NOT come with Google Play... which means it's not licensed by Google and means you can NOT run Google Play, even if you manage to install it. Why on earth Google wouldn't want every single Android device to have their store is beyond me (well yes, corporate greed - licensing fees from the phone manufacturers), but there are enough app stores where you can get your stuff so that's all right.

Conclusion: If you can do without Google Play the Iocean X6 is a very good, well-made, feature-packed phone that would cost more than double the price if it was an A-brand.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2012 10:24 AM BST

Salo [DVD]
Salo [DVD]
Dvd ~ Pier Paolo Pasolini

1.0 out of 5 stars Booooooooo-riiiiiiiiing..., 6 Sep 2012
This review is from: Salo [DVD] (DVD)
So this is supposed to be the depraved shocker-to-end-all-shockers? The most disturbing movie ever? I don't get the hype around this film. I suppose in the mid-1970s it was, but still... The film is looooooong, with long stretches of people spouting all kinds of nonsense interlaced with a lot of naked, young bodies (male and female) and the occasional gory scene (yes, they eat mock poop). There's no real story to speak of and you don't really feel any sympathy for any of the characters. Is it artsy? Guess so, which is probably why the entertainment value is also zero. It's too long, too slow and too boring... Seen it once. Never again.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2013 6:11 PM BST

That's Why God Made The Radio
That's Why God Made The Radio
Offered by davehopetrading
Price: 4.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Skipped a few decades, 3 Sep 2012
Forget the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s... They never happened. It's still the 60s; we're all living in California, driving our car (top down of course) out to a sun-kissed beach where we have a date with a California girl and... listen to the radio.

The typical rhythms, the vocal harmonies and the fabulous chord changes... They still got it!

I love the entire album, but the title track alone is worth the price of admission! I've been singing and playing this tune on my guitar all weekend.

If THIS kind of music played on the radio all the time, we wouldn't need CD/mp3 players in the car. Period.

It is so refreshing to hear pop music with such positive vibes (good vibrations?). For me personally: album of the year.

Hawaii Five-O - Season 1 [DVD]
Hawaii Five-O - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Scott Caan
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent remake!, 10 Aug 2012
Excellent show in its own right. Wouldn't consider it a remake as much as "Hawaii Five-O" the next generation.

The show's beautifully shot. There's great chemistry between the characters. Stories are good and it just has a lot of heart. A lot has been done in the way of character development. These aren't just mindless action heroes, but real human beings each with their own background, baggage, characteristics...

The character differences between Steve & Danno often result in teasing and horse-play which is fun to watch. Alex O'Loughlin is a very believable McGarrett. The whole cast just works really well together and the show flows well because of it. The acting never feels wooden or hammy.

I just finished disc 4 and I just can't get enough of this show.

To finish off, two points, cuz boys will be boys:
1) I love that Camaro...
2) Officer Kono can come and put me in handcuffs any day! :)

Can't wait for season 2 to be released.

Tequila Moon
Tequila Moon
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 12.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth, sexy, relaxed - perfect!, 13 Feb 2012
This review is from: Tequila Moon (Audio CD)
I ordered this album about a month ago and it's been in my car stereo ever since. The music's a successful mix of smooth jazz and latin grooves. Jessy's sax playing style reminds me a little of Grover Washington Jr (a personal favourite of mine). Her vocals aren't quite as good as her instrumental skills, but she knows her limitations and manages to make the sultry renditions of Besame Mucho and Mas Que Nada work really well. On top of that (from what I've seen on YouTube) she's got a very dynamic stage-presence. Class act!

Nevermind
Nevermind
Offered by Dirty Deals UK
Price: 12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic rock for the 90s, 4 Oct 2011
This review is from: Nevermind (Audio CD)
I'm no Nirvana fan (hence 3 stars), but I do appreciate the album for its raw energy and for providing a sonic landscape for the zeitgeist of the early 90s.

Nevermind came out and almost overnight Kramer guitars went out of business, my favourite hair metal bands were either being dumped by their labels or cutting their hair and donning flannel shirts trying to stay on top. Any kind of rock music that was fun, flamboyant and played by guys with pointy guitars and big hair was suddenly frowned upon.

Instead we get guys dressed like homeless people bringing us songs to further inflate the rampant fin-de-siècle feeling of the 1990s. Any kind of musical proficiency that was celebrated in the 80s was suddenly not needed anymore.

Since these guys pretty much single-handedly killed off rock music as I liked it, it would be easy for me to give the album 1 star. But that would be ignoring its importance in rock music's timeline. Nevermind is as much a classic rock album as... say, Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon.

Having said that... I do believe I'm gonna put on some Roth-era Van Halen now to cheer me up.

Chickenfoot III
Chickenfoot III
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 11.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Dude, sweet!, 27 Sep 2011
This review is from: Chickenfoot III (Audio CD)
I pre-ordered the ltd edition box of the album in Amazon Germany (with DVDs, T-shirt, etc), so I got listen to it last night on my long ride home from work.

What a treat! It's on par with the first album, probably even a little better. It sounds more varied in any case. I've heard people who said it sounds "darker". Certain songs might be darker due to the subject matter, but overall I don't find it darker. If anything, the songs sound more like proper songs this time, rather than loose jams. The lyrics are better and more meaningful. Some favourites after a first listen? "Three and a half words", "Come closer", "Bigfoot", "Dubai Blues".

Just as deeply rooted in the early 70s as Black Country Communion, but at the same time it sounds fresh. It's not retro for retro's sake (if that makes sense).

Again, the packaging is a gimmick. I love the cover. I know the shape/colours in the logo look this way for the 3D effect, but I love how it kinda looks like VH striping. I don't know if it's on purpose, or just by chance.

If the first album was just four guys having fun, this album is four guys having even more fun, but writing good songs in the process.

One question remains: when are you guys coming to Europe and where can I get tickets? :)

Piranha 3D [DVD]
Piranha 3D [DVD]
Dvd ~ Elisabeth Shue
Offered by b68solutions
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars FUN!!!, 10 May 2011
This review is from: Piranha 3D [DVD] (DVD)
I had actually already written off this film in my head. Even more so after seeing plenty of negative revieuws for it.

Boy, was I wrong... Granted, the first couple of appearances of the piranhas made me think: "is that the best they could do with modern technology and a (I assume) reasonable budget?"

But they royally make up for that afterwards. The special effects during the scenes of the piranhas attacking the springbreak party are great!

It's not very scary and it's also not extremely gory (compared to some more recent gore flicks), BUT it's a very fun movie to watch. Bloodthirsty fish, gorgeous girls in (and out of) bikinis, sunshine, one-liners galore and characters you can empathize with. It's the most fun I've had watching a film so far in 2011.

Repeat Offender
Repeat Offender
Price: 9.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch AOR, 10 Jan 2011
This review is from: Repeat Offender (Audio CD)
This is a top notch AOR album and I honestly couldn't believe the 3-star average rating. This is right up there with Stan Bush & Barrage.

"Nothin' You Can Do About It" sports a guest solo by Toto's Steve Lukather. "Satisfied" is a radio-friendly riff rocker that was the first single off the album (as far as I remember). "Angelia" is a gorgeous song, but of course THE seminal Richard Marx ballad is "Right Here Waiting". "Heart On The Line", "Too Late To Say Goodbye", "Children Of The Night"... all good songs with melodies that stick!

The only clunker for me is "That Was Lulu", but my CD player's got a skip button.

For fans of mid- to late-80s AOR/pop rock this is an album you can't miss.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3