Profile for booked > Reviews

Tribes: We need you to lead us
Tribes: We need you to lead us
by Seth Godin

1.0 out of 5 stars Pricking the Lead Balloon, 29 Sept. 2009
Want to learn how to be a leader and how it works in the digital age? Read the excellent Wikinomics, not this disappointing repackaging of anecdotes whose endlessly repeated message is only "you can do it". Well, yes I can: I can review this book as one of the worst I have ever paid to struggle through. No clear structure, no real evidence to support its claims, just a bunch of feelgood anecdotes carelessly cut and pasted from presentations and articles, and often only relevant or comprehensible to the contemporary USA. Poorly written, and patronising.

The book keeps referring to the fearful nature of people who work in balloon factories and encouraging the reader not to think like them. You should indeed be worried if your product contains only stale hot air. Perhaps the author's other books are good, or perhaps his digital followers just review his books to boost sales. I'll never know, as I will never buy or read another book by Seth Godin. I can do it.