Profile for pixielizards > Reviews

The Girls
The Girls
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A total gem, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Girls (Kindle Edition)
I have to confess this is the sort of book I usually avoid but I read it as part of a book club. I completely fell in love with Rose and Ruby & Aunt Lovey and Uncle Stash. Within the 1st 20 pages I was completely engrossed into The Girls lives. The thing that impressed me the most about Lori Lansens writing is it isn't maudlin or overly sentimental and you quickly see Rose and Ruby as seperate individuals in spite of their conjunction. The story follows them through their lives and the challenges and joys that happen. Would recommend it to anyone.

Parker IM Brushed Metal GT Fountain Pen (Medium) S0856320
Parker IM Brushed Metal GT Fountain Pen (Medium) S0856320
Price: 20.20

2.0 out of 5 stars poor quality nib, 27 Feb 2014
I'm a massive fan on writing with fountain pens and do so everyday at work and at home. The Parker GT fountain pen looks amazing and has a good weight to it but I have not been able to get the pen to write smoothly. It either struggles to get ink to the nib or splodges all over your paper. I have now used both cartridges and a convertor (bought seperately) but no improvement. I wish I had invested more and bought a more expensive pen.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2014 1:19 PM BST

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
Price: 3.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Start .........., 27 Feb 2014
I have to say I loved the concept of the story of what happens when you can't form new memories and as the story evolves into a mystery thriller I was really gripped and up until this point I would have awarded Before I go to sleep 5 stars but I have to be honest the story runs out of steam and the end is just ludricrous. In the kindle version there are some fabulous questions if you read it as part of a book club (which I did) and we were able to have lots of challenging conversations but overall the book only warrants 3 stars.

Vax Steam Mop S7 - 2 in 1 Upright and Handheld Steam Cleaner
Vax Steam Mop S7 - 2 in 1 Upright and Handheld Steam Cleaner
Price: 49.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Really not even worth the discounted price, 27 Feb 2014
I truly wish I had read more reviews before getting suckered in by the discount price.

The system is easy enough to assemble but it took me over 2 hours to disemble as there is a white clip fasten that needs to be depressed and the base unit pulled simultaneously, which is a lot easier to type than execute.

The system itself is nothing like in the infommercials where the dirt and grim just blast off, the dirt & grime need significant scrubbing even if there is very little dirt & grime there.

I attached the hose and window cleaning attachment to clean my windows. Something rown and oily was in one of these attachments as it subsquently started pumped filthy oily steam onto my windows

I literally can't remember I time I was more disappointed with a purchase.

A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (Penguin Classics)
A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (Penguin Classics)
by Mary Wollstonecraft

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Relevant Today, 22 Mar 2002
This might be a frightening generalisation, but the majority of people reading this book are probably doing so in the confines of a formal education course. If you're a woman and the following statement is true Mary Wollstonecraft would be delighted. This book is a complex philosophical argument for the emancipation and education of women. The language of the book, as with most late eighteenth century text is wordy and therefore it's going to be slow read, to understand and evaluate Wollstonecraft's arguments. However, the arguments she makes are skilful and still with relevance today.