Profile for Anonymous > Reviews

Cadfael: The Complete Collection - Series 1 To 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Derek Jacobi
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great detective stories, 16 Jan. 2014
If you like a thinking person's programme or entertainment, then CADFAEL is for you. He's a Medieval detective, CSI and pathologist all rolled in to one. He uses his extensive knowledge and observations both of his fellow human beings, crime scene examination, knowledge of pathology and plants (aromatics) to solve clues to murders, and yet this man is a Catholic brother. Such a thing was common in Europe at the time; worldly men and women who, for one reason or another, left civilian life to take up the religious one. Some of the actions that Cadfael takes in this series would never have been allowed strictly, in monastic orders, but that's poetic license. After all, this isn't strictly speaking, pure Medieval history; it's one female writer's vivid imagination. I found it interesting and thought provoking observing Cadfael solve each mystery.

In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great [DVD]
In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars IN THE FOOTSTPES OF ALEXANDER THE GREAT, 16 Feb. 2013
Magnificent. Michael Wood takes us on a journey and shows us a facet of our Western culture that we tend to forget and perhaps more of us need to cherish. Great for general and even military history buffs.

Sunday Classics - The Ultimate Chilled Collection
Sunday Classics - The Ultimate Chilled Collection
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars SUNDAY CLASSICS, 16 Feb. 2013
This CD great for those people who lead busy, stressful lives and it helps them to relax. Who said that the classics were dead? That's exactly what this CD promises, relaxation. A great listening experience and highly recommended for people of all ages.

At Their Very Best
At Their Very Best

5.0 out of 5 stars AT THEIR VERY BEST, 16 Feb. 2013
This review is from: At Their Very Best (Audio CD)
I first fell in love with this band having listened to the end credits for DAD'S ARMY. This compilation isn't too bad, although I prefer the good old clasics myself. Enjoyable for people of all ages.

Regimental Marches, Vol.2
Regimental Marches, Vol.2

4.0 out of 5 stars REGIMENTAL MARCHES VOLUME 2, 16 Feb. 2013
I enjoy listening to classical music and this music isn't too jarring to the soul. I think of the beautiful architecture and rich history of England in such places as Oxford, Cambridge and beautiful idyllic English vilage greens, that kind of thing (which hardly exist anymore!!). I also think of all the good things about Britian, including the gift of the English language, the arts and rich culture such as Williams Shakespeare's plays which have been revered all around the world.

Regimental Marches of the British Army Vol. 1
Regimental Marches of the British Army Vol. 1

5.0 out of 5 stars REGIMENTAL MARCHES OF THE BRITISH ARMY VOLUME 1, 16 Feb. 2013
I liked the music because it reminded me of watching the Trooping of the Colour which was televised annually when I was a child and it brought back good memories. I liked the formation marching and the smart uniforms (I hope the bearskin hats have been replaced by synthetic these days!!!) of the men. It's good music for playing while I do the housework, espcially the luxing and mopping which I abhor. Recommended for those people who like order in their lives even when they aren't at work and for those who just enjoy historical music.

Patrick Moore: 80 Not Out - The Autobiography
Patrick Moore: 80 Not Out - The Autobiography
by Patrick Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD READ, 16 Feb. 2013
If you like someone who is refreshingly honest about his outlook on life then Patrick Moore's autobiography is the book for you. Even if you don't have a great interst in astronomy, what he has written here may suprise and interest you. I enjoyed the book immensely. It's good for taking with you to doctors' or dentists' appointments.