Profile for PROF APM Coxon > Reviews

Content by PROF APM Coxon

PROF APM Coxon (Cardiff, Wales, UK)

Social History of Male & Female: Homosexual Love in the Nineteenth Century
Social History of Male & Female: Homosexual Love in the Nineteenth Century
by Graham Robb

4.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating the obscured, 24 Oct. 2009
I first encountered Robb as an author in his book on France, and was fascinated by the informative, interesting and well-written account -- truly fascinating and unusual. When I saw this book, I thought "why not?", and enjoyed it as much as I did his previous book. I thought I knew much about the subject matter, professionally and personally, but (like his France book), he approaches issues from a fascinating and sometimes oblique angle. Excellent

The Poisoned Bowl: Sex, repression and the public school system (History and Politics)
by Alisdare Hickson

4.0 out of 5 stars Secret History, 24 Oct. 2009
Homosexuality in Public (usually boys, boarding) schools is something "we" all know about, but only allude to. Because it isn't generally written about (or if it is, is specific to the person or the school) even those who "in the know" are not sure whether their experience is matched by others.
So here is a reliable, systematic, social-science account; schools are named, respondents aren't.
I can affirm (as one with experience AND as a social scientist) that this is good; readable; professional and enlightening. It is interesting, too -- but not sensational. I would reckon it as being more exploratory than exhaustive, and would love to see it extended/expanded.

Jacob's Wound: Homoerotic Narrative in the Literature of Ancient Israel
Jacob's Wound: Homoerotic Narrative in the Literature of Ancient Israel
by Theodore W. Jennings Jr.

4.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, 5 April 2006
Outrageous, fascinating, sobering ... in that order during reading the book. I think of myself as well-accustomed to and appreciative of reading of narratives, both as a social scientist and as a Christian; sexualities is one of my main professional concerns. But the sheer astonishment of how much this reading reveals of the homoeroticism in narrative events and prophetic status had me entranced. Sometimes he teeters on the brink of the too explicit reading or inference, other times he makes one realise to what an extent a straightforward homoerotic reading has been suppressed. Wonderfully relevant to the (non-) debate tearing churches asunder. Make your bishop read it!