Profile for Jason Gaston > Reviews

Content by Jason Gaston
Top Reviewer Ranking: 908

Jason Gaston "Uncle Jay" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BISSELL Multi-Reach 2-in-1 Light Weight Cordless Vacuum with 12 V NiMH
BISSELL Multi-Reach 2-in-1 Light Weight Cordless Vacuum with 12 V NiMH

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive power for its size weight and price but more of a quick fix than a permanant replacement, 25 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The size of this vacuum cleaner was really misleading. As soon as I got this out of the box my expectations where quite low as it really is small and compact and very very light weight indeed. After a relatively swift and effortless assembly I was ready to go.... well not quite I had to charge it first. Charging takes place on a very neat docking station the kind you would have on a beard trimmer or something. On performance I have to say I was quite impressed with the results on tiled or laminate flooing, it quite effortlessly picked up crumbs and dust and even some larger pieces of debris. On the carpet it was still quite effective but this is where the price was more apparent than before as it failed on a few attempts to sock bobbles that had collected on the carpet and also didn't perform too well on human hair. In comparison to the much more expensive Gtech Air Ram this is where its limitations as a cordless cleaner are more apparent, that being said this is a very good and very impressive vacuum for laminate flooing, tiling or must a quick tidy around but for vacuming the whole house I would stick to either a corded vacuum or if you insist on cordless opt for a more expensive and powerful option of a dyson or a gtech. On the whole this really is a very good buy for the price and ideal for say a caravan or even as a back up or spare but alas its not going to replace your henry. An EASY 4 stars though!

Beurer BF750 Glass Diagnostic Scale
Beurer BF750 Glass Diagnostic Scale

1.0 out of 5 stars No science, no diagnostic, Pure guess work. Do NOT buy these scales, 25 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These scales apparently work predominantly on sheer guesswork and if you care to read on I will demonstrate. I was initially excited to review these scales as its sometimes easy to get wrapped up in your weight as a number rather than how that weight is formulated ie. if your building muscle then you weight will go up so some fitness regimes may see in increase in weight and that may be off putting to some who are infatuated by weight simply as a number. So onto the review, I started by inputting my vital statistics into the scale, height, sex, age? fitness level? Hmmm something fishy straight away here why should my age or fitness level be a dictating factor in a diagnostic but hey ho I inputted them anyway and then I stepped on the scales. Firstly my weight was a lb or off what my other scales stated but again that neither here nor there but the other results where surprising to say the least. Let me explain... I am 40 years of age and like many men of my age I have a bit of a spare tire going on, not enough that it protrudes though my clothing but anyway... I cycle to work every single day and lift weights 2 or 3 times a week so consider myself relatively well muscled (no Mr Universe by any stretch but solid legs, quite big arms with no fat at apart from my mid riff) So my results that showed that I have VERY LITTLE muscle and VERY HIGH fat percentage where shocking to say the least. I am a realistic person but these results where not realistic at all. Soooo I set out to prove this and I did. As I stated before a diagnostic for weight, muscle mass and bmi should not be affected by my age or fitness level unless you are assuming or guessing these results in the first place, so I changed my fitness level and surprise surprise my muscle mass percentage went up and my BMI/fat percentage went down.
In a nutshell these scales are nothing short of a gimmick that people will chose to believe if it suits them without question.
If Beurer would care to contact me directly I welcome the opportunity for them to explain this as these scales are nothing short of a lie.

Free from Desserts: Pies, Puddings & Ice Creams All Without Dairy, Wheat and Gluten
by Julia Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for anyone who has a sweet tooth but is lactose or gluten intollorant. Top Marks, 19 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My mother in law suffers from celiacs disease and is subsequently allergic to gluten. When cooking or even buying food for parties or even meals this can be a difficult hurdle to overcome as where desert is concerned it almost impossible to get something suitable for everyone, the end result is something tasty for everyone else and and expensive usually dull substandard alternative for my mother in law......Until I got this book. I literally got this book specifically with her in mind and I have to say I am VERY impressed indeed. I was not expecting ice creams, cheesecakes and PASTRY dishes in this book. The recepies are amazing and many of them come complete with really proffessional looking photographs to show you how it COULD look if you follow the instructions and have a keen eye for detail but don't be too discouraged if your results don't look as good as long as you follow the recipe they WILL taste as good. Not every recepie has a photo I might add which to be fair would have made this an even thicker book than it already is. We have tried many of the recepies in this book and even opted to stick with some for the rest of the family as glutten is getting a bad press lately so if we have the option to cut it out of our diet now and again then it can't be a bad thing. All in all this is a fabulous book that really gives some eye opening alternatives to dairy and gluten for cooking some simply delicious deserts for everyone in the family.

MaxiNutrition Cyclone Strength and Power Protein Shake Powder 1.26 kg - Strawberry

1.0 out of 5 stars Powdery and too sweet. Not nice at all, 9 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can only really comment on the taste and texture of this shake compared to USN Ultra Lean Diet fuel and on taste comparison it is not nice at all. Far to thin when made using the recommended amount quite sweet and very gritty/powdery. USN shakes that I have tried in the past have been actually very nice indeed not just nice for a meal replacement shake but actually nice (banana caramel when made with crushed ice or icecubes especially so) this however is not a palatable formula at all for my personal tastes and as I have to review in 30 days its almost impossible to comment on a results. That being said I don't think I could finish this tub given the taste

Philips HR1868/81 Avance Collection Quick Clean Juicer, 2.5 Litre, 700 Watt - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent juicer but bigger than most., 23 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lot bigger than I expected and right off the bat if o your not going to use this regular to make a lot of juice I would certainly look elsewhere as this is a bit piece of kit and its footprint would need to be justified. In operation this IS a bit of a beast. The XL feeding tube eliminates the need to half or quart apples. It made short work of everything we chucked in but disappointingly did have a lot of pulpy residue which surprisingly was still quite wet suggesting the juicer isnt really getting 100% out of the fruit/veg. Cleaning can be quite quick and easy providing you do it as soon as you finish. We generally put our juice in the fridge while we clean up. All in all inpressed with the speed power and overall performance of this machine as well as the look of it too. Only its size and seemingly disproportionate waste stop it getting a full 5 stars.

Rexel Mercury REX1323 Cross Cut Shredder with P-4 Security Level
Rexel Mercury REX1323 Cross Cut Shredder with P-4 Security Level

4.0 out of 5 stars If you can justify the size and its price then this is the Rolls Royce of shredders, 21 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An absolute beast of a shredder that goes the extra mile in protection. Most shredders (especially cheaper ones) cut your paper into thin strips from top to bottom, this creates 2 issues. The first issue is the strips quite quickly start to back up in the shredder like little paper springs and secondly and more importantly these strips can quite easily (if someone was determined enough to steal you information/identity) be layed out flat and pieced back together in sequence recreating the original document thus rendering the security element null and void. This shredder takes the strips and cut it up into a number of tiny pieces turning your important document into confetti. Even the most hardened of Bond villain would be hard pressed to put a jigsaw like that back together. Also the power of this shredder is so much that it can destroy disks too (Cd's DVD's BluRay, Console games etc) credit and store cards also are chewed up and spat out with absolute ease and the opperation of this shredder is surprisingly quite given its capabilities and power. The storage bin for you confetti is large enough to hold a LOT but this comes at a cost as this is a rather large unit and I can't help thinking if there was a smaller unit available with the same power and capabilities it would be a MUST for any household but at this size (and price) I feel this is definately aimed more towards a business of any size rather than an average home, even a home business could justify its size as it is VERY good protection indeed against identity theft or fraud and buying a cheap shredder really is a false economy and you wouldn't put a cheap lock on a shed containing an expensive bike so why risk your identity or personal information?

Sony BDPS6500 4K Upscale Blu-ray Disc Player with super Wi-Fi and 3D
Sony BDPS6500 4K Upscale Blu-ray Disc Player with super Wi-Fi and 3D

5.0 out of 5 stars As a blu ray player its great but it offers so so much more. Faster than a YouView box for Iplayer etc, 13 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First impressions of this little beauty was the size, for years the dvd player and following bluray player have always kept to the similar dimensions of the good old VCR but now with technology advancing at a rapid pace there is no need for a large cadbury selection box size piece of apparatus underneath our tv so Sony making this a much more reasonable and justifiable size is real bonus. As with all Sony products the quality shows from the get go and this is no exception. I initially set this up with an Ethernet cable for speed of set up and it was very straight forward. The User Interface is very similar to that of a PS3 if anyone has one then they will be very familiar with the layout. After set up I first tried it with a 3D bluray (man of steel) and the results where as good as I expected with a crystal clear image and sharp depth of 3D the player instantly recognized it was a 3d movie and adjusted accordingly. So as a bluray player (with or without 3D) this is as good as any BUT that not all you get...... It also comes fully loaded with a plethora of apps from Netflix (which has its one button on the remote control) to BBC iPlayer, Youtube, 5OD, Sky News and many many more and this was when the player really had its time to shine. We currently have a BT YouView box made by Humax and its not the quickest for stuff like BBC iPlayer but as this is an online service I just assumed that was standard but this bluray player made a laughing stock of my Youview box as its MUCH quicker at loading stuff from the Iplayer and even the search options too.
So what you get in the box is a compact, very elegant looking bluray player which is top notch, you get all the apps loaded on for catch up tv etc, you get a small compact remote control (complete with 2 sony batteries) and you get your instuctions (not that you will need them) and a warranty. What you don't get is a hdmi cable unfortunately but they are only a few quid.
*UPDATE* connected this via the built in wireless adapter with no loss of speed or service whatsoever so very happy indeed. The player also plays photo cd's music cds and even can play contents from a USB, the back of the player also has an optical out for connecting to a soundbar.
Absolutely made up with this player and its has rendered out YouView box almost obsolete. Top marks from Sony

Philips Series 5000 Hair Clipper HC5440/83 with DualCut Technology Cordless Use and Beard Comb Attachments

3.0 out of 5 stars Its all a bit..............meh!!, 30 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although this item looks the part it is let down by some design flaws. In performance the blade plate is too narrow for my liking and doesn't compare well to other hair trimmers I have used in the past from Wahl, Braun or Remmington. The power side of things which initially was a concern as this is a cordless/rechargeable trimmer was surprising and power wise seems to pack a decent wallop. The on off switch seems to be situated in a strange place and more than once in use I accidentally turned the unit off. I have quite thick hair and it did snag a couple of times in use with no guard on the blade resulting in quite a painful surprise. The rotating selector to lower and raise the guard for different lengths of hair seems a bit gimmicky to me and personally I would have preferred separate "traditional" guards for different lengths. Annoyingly I would have liked this option on the beard trimmer but alas this was not the case the beard trimmer comes with 2 attachments for different lengths. Moaning aside this isn't a bad set of clippers and the cordless operation really does hold a nice charge and deliver what it says on the tin. Comes complete with a carry case but again don't look too much into this it would probably crack with a stern telling too as its about as robust as a hens egg.

From Puppy to PERFECT: A proven, practical guide to training and caring for your new puppy
by Janet Menzies

5.0 out of 5 stars This book shoudl be mandatory for ANYONE looking to get a puppy. Worth its weight in gold!, 25 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With the RSPCA claiming that after the Christmas period alone approximately 3 puppies an hour are abandoned just in the UK alone training a puppy seems a task not many have the skills to undertake properly and this stems from a lack of knowledge. This book is worth its weight in gold and should be mandatory for anyone thinking of getting a puppy in the first place. I am not kidding it should be written into the law that if you are going to get a puppy you at least understand the fundamental needs to raise a healthy happy puppy. This book covers ALL the bases from the weeks leading up to actually getting the puppy right up to the young adult stages. Simple advice displayed to you in a way a friend would give you tips and advice rather than an instruction manual, written by a lady who CLEARLY loves and more importantly understands dogs and there basic needs. Of the thousands of puppies abandoned every year many of them will have been rejected for reasons this book could have easily prevented and again I repeat myself its all down to knowledge. How can you teach/train an animal if you don't understand it and it doesn't understand you? This book goes over every aspect of raising a well trained puppy with a fine toothed comb, from toilet training and general obedience, even touching on subjects of names and how important an name with impact can have on getting a dogs attention. Each section takes you though a different stage of the puppies life so you really only need to read a small section BEFORE you get your puppy and the rest is more like a instructional diary that you can read each section just before that time period arrives and be full of all the fresh knowledge you need. Full to the brim of photos of puppies and adult dogs of many different varieties this really is a MUST for anyone who has even contemplated getting a puppy. I have read this from cover to cover and learned more about dogs in a few days than in my past 40 years combined. We will be purchasing our newest family member next summer and I will be sure to read this book again shortly before as it really is a bible of puppy training.

Delonghi Nespresso Lattissma Touch Automatic Coffee Machine EN55.W, White
Delonghi Nespresso Lattissma Touch Automatic Coffee Machine EN55.W, White

5.0 out of 5 stars "proper" coffee without leaving the house., 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very impressed indeed with this coffee machine not only by its results but also by its appearance. Delonghi have opted for the much more modern looking machine compared to many companies that try to make there machines look retro, this to me is an instant plus for this machine as it matches the mood/theme for our kitchen very well. Out of the box it was very easy to set up indeed and all the instructions where clear as to how to set up and install the machine taking into consideration your water hardness levels and your specific taste/preference in coffee. We tried a few of the supplied samples and everyone who tasted them was very impressed with the quality of the product. My father in law is quite the coffee snob so to impress him it must be good. Over all very impressed with this machine and well worth every penny as the "right" coffee is worth its weight in gold.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20