Profile for Jason Gaston > Reviews

Content by Jason Gaston
Top Reviewer Ranking: 919

Jason Gaston "Uncle Jay" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips HR1868/81 Avance Collection Quick Clean Juicer, 2.5 Litre, 700 Watt - White
Offered by Discount-Select

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent juicer but bigger than most., 23 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lot bigger than I expected and right off the bat if o your not going to use this regular to make a lot of juice I would certainly look elsewhere as this is a bit piece of kit and its footprint would need to be justified. In operation this IS a bit of a beast. The XL feeding tube eliminates the need to half or quart apples. It made short work of everything we chucked in but disappointingly did have a lot of pulpy residue which surprisingly was still quite wet suggesting the juicer isnt really getting 100% out of the fruit/veg. Cleaning can be quite quick and easy providing you do it as soon as you finish. We generally put our juice in the fridge while we clean up. All in all inpressed with the speed power and overall performance of this machine as well as the look of it too. Only its size and seemingly disproportionate waste stop it getting a full 5 stars.

Rexel Mercury REX1323 Cross Cut Shredder with P-4 Security Level
Rexel Mercury REX1323 Cross Cut Shredder with P-4 Security Level
Offered by Choice Stationery Supplies Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars If you can justify the size and its price then this is the Rolls Royce of shredders, 21 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An absolute beast of a shredder that goes the extra mile in protection. Most shredders (especially cheaper ones) cut your paper into thin strips from top to bottom, this creates 2 issues. The first issue is the strips quite quickly start to back up in the shredder like little paper springs and secondly and more importantly these strips can quite easily (if someone was determined enough to steal you information/identity) be layed out flat and pieced back together in sequence recreating the original document thus rendering the security element null and void. This shredder takes the strips and cut it up into a number of tiny pieces turning your important document into confetti. Even the most hardened of Bond villain would be hard pressed to put a jigsaw like that back together. Also the power of this shredder is so much that it can destroy disks too (Cd's DVD's BluRay, Console games etc) credit and store cards also are chewed up and spat out with absolute ease and the opperation of this shredder is surprisingly quite given its capabilities and power. The storage bin for you confetti is large enough to hold a LOT but this comes at a cost as this is a rather large unit and I can't help thinking if there was a smaller unit available with the same power and capabilities it would be a MUST for any household but at this size (and price) I feel this is definately aimed more towards a business of any size rather than an average home, even a home business could justify its size as it is VERY good protection indeed against identity theft or fraud and buying a cheap shredder really is a false economy and you wouldn't put a cheap lock on a shed containing an expensive bike so why risk your identity or personal information?

Sony 4K Upscale Blu-ray Disc Player with Super Wi-Fi and 3D
Sony 4K Upscale Blu-ray Disc Player with Super Wi-Fi and 3D

5.0 out of 5 stars As a blu ray player its great but it offers so so much more. Faster than a YouView box for Iplayer etc, 13 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First impressions of this little beauty was the size, for years the dvd player and following bluray player have always kept to the similar dimensions of the good old VCR but now with technology advancing at a rapid pace there is no need for a large cadbury selection box size piece of apparatus underneath our tv so Sony making this a much more reasonable and justifiable size is real bonus. As with all Sony products the quality shows from the get go and this is no exception. I initially set this up with an Ethernet cable for speed of set up and it was very straight forward. The User Interface is very similar to that of a PS3 if anyone has one then they will be very familiar with the layout. After set up I first tried it with a 3D bluray (man of steel) and the results where as good as I expected with a crystal clear image and sharp depth of 3D the player instantly recognized it was a 3d movie and adjusted accordingly. So as a bluray player (with or without 3D) this is as good as any BUT that not all you get...... It also comes fully loaded with a plethora of apps from Netflix (which has its one button on the remote control) to BBC iPlayer, Youtube, 5OD, Sky News and many many more and this was when the player really had its time to shine. We currently have a BT YouView box made by Humax and its not the quickest for stuff like BBC iPlayer but as this is an online service I just assumed that was standard but this bluray player made a laughing stock of my Youview box as its MUCH quicker at loading stuff from the Iplayer and even the search options too.
So what you get in the box is a compact, very elegant looking bluray player which is top notch, you get all the apps loaded on for catch up tv etc, you get a small compact remote control (complete with 2 sony batteries) and you get your instuctions (not that you will need them) and a warranty. What you don't get is a hdmi cable unfortunately but they are only a few quid.
*UPDATE* connected this via the built in wireless adapter with no loss of speed or service whatsoever so very happy indeed. The player also plays photo cd's music cds and even can play contents from a USB, the back of the player also has an optical out for connecting to a soundbar.
Absolutely made up with this player and its has rendered out YouView box almost obsolete. Top marks from Sony

Philips Series 5000 Hair Clipper HC5440/83 with DualCut Technology Cordless Use and Beard Comb Attachments

3.0 out of 5 stars Its all a bit..............meh!!, 30 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although this item looks the part it is let down by some design flaws. In performance the blade plate is too narrow for my liking and doesn't compare well to other hair trimmers I have used in the past from Wahl, Braun or Remmington. The power side of things which initially was a concern as this is a cordless/rechargeable trimmer was surprising and power wise seems to pack a decent wallop. The on off switch seems to be situated in a strange place and more than once in use I accidentally turned the unit off. I have quite thick hair and it did snag a couple of times in use with no guard on the blade resulting in quite a painful surprise. The rotating selector to lower and raise the guard for different lengths of hair seems a bit gimmicky to me and personally I would have preferred separate "traditional" guards for different lengths. Annoyingly I would have liked this option on the beard trimmer but alas this was not the case the beard trimmer comes with 2 attachments for different lengths. Moaning aside this isn't a bad set of clippers and the cordless operation really does hold a nice charge and deliver what it says on the tin. Comes complete with a carry case but again don't look too much into this it would probably crack with a stern telling too as its about as robust as a hens egg.

From Puppy to PERFECT: A proven, practical guide to training and caring for your new puppy
by Janet Menzies

5.0 out of 5 stars This book shoudl be mandatory for ANYONE looking to get a puppy. Worth its weight in gold!, 25 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With the RSPCA claiming that after the Christmas period alone approximately 3 puppies an hour are abandoned just in the UK alone training a puppy seems a task not many have the skills to undertake properly and this stems from a lack of knowledge. This book is worth its weight in gold and should be mandatory for anyone thinking of getting a puppy in the first place. I am not kidding it should be written into the law that if you are going to get a puppy you at least understand the fundamental needs to raise a healthy happy puppy. This book covers ALL the bases from the weeks leading up to actually getting the puppy right up to the young adult stages. Simple advice displayed to you in a way a friend would give you tips and advice rather than an instruction manual, written by a lady who CLEARLY loves and more importantly understands dogs and there basic needs. Of the thousands of puppies abandoned every year many of them will have been rejected for reasons this book could have easily prevented and again I repeat myself its all down to knowledge. How can you teach/train an animal if you don't understand it and it doesn't understand you? This book goes over every aspect of raising a well trained puppy with a fine toothed comb, from toilet training and general obedience, even touching on subjects of names and how important an name with impact can have on getting a dogs attention. Each section takes you though a different stage of the puppies life so you really only need to read a small section BEFORE you get your puppy and the rest is more like a instructional diary that you can read each section just before that time period arrives and be full of all the fresh knowledge you need. Full to the brim of photos of puppies and adult dogs of many different varieties this really is a MUST for anyone who has even contemplated getting a puppy. I have read this from cover to cover and learned more about dogs in a few days than in my past 40 years combined. We will be purchasing our newest family member next summer and I will be sure to read this book again shortly before as it really is a bible of puppy training.

Delonghi Nespresso Lattissma Touch Automatic Coffee Machine EN55.W, White
Delonghi Nespresso Lattissma Touch Automatic Coffee Machine EN55.W, White

5.0 out of 5 stars "proper" coffee without leaving the house., 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very impressed indeed with this coffee machine not only by its results but also by its appearance. Delonghi have opted for the much more modern looking machine compared to many companies that try to make there machines look retro, this to me is an instant plus for this machine as it matches the mood/theme for our kitchen very well. Out of the box it was very easy to set up indeed and all the instructions where clear as to how to set up and install the machine taking into consideration your water hardness levels and your specific taste/preference in coffee. We tried a few of the supplied samples and everyone who tasted them was very impressed with the quality of the product. My father in law is quite the coffee snob so to impress him it must be good. Over all very impressed with this machine and well worth every penny as the "right" coffee is worth its weight in gold.

Philips GC4520/30 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 190g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt
Philips GC4520/30 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 190g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt

4.0 out of 5 stars Scores well on all areas if the purple doesn't put you off, 12 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ok lets address the obvious, its pretty hard to write a review of an iron but I will do my best. Initial thoughts where decent weight which is always important in an iron and always lacking in the cheaper option. The cable reminded me of irons of old, the kind of cable you would find on a 70s or 80s electric heater or older iron and not the plastic coated efforts of recent years. On that note the cable seems to have a ball joint so it is very easy wrap the cable up for storage without fear of snapping or wear and tear. In performance the iron really does impress, First thing I noticed was how quickly it heated up ready for use (again a good measure of quality when it comes to an iron) the water reservoir is quite hard to judge how much water is inside but I generally top up before I start anyway, worthy of note this does not come with a water jug so you will need to keep your old one or use a small household jug, I dont think this is a deal breaker but slightly disappointing for an iron of this price. It has a handy safety feature that switches the heat off after short periods of inactivity (about half a minute with the plate down and longer if left/standing) it stand pretty steady on its base when not in use again something that the lighter/cheaper irons fail in. In use its steam blast was more than enough to tackle the most stubborn of jeans (you know the ones that the kids have "hung up" and not bothered to smooth out so they are creased to high heaven?) the base plate is nicely shaped so you can get into the tinyest of areas for small gaps between buttons and detail. It has a de-calc feature but we live in a very soft water area so I can't really comment on that but seams to be a very helpful feature if you do live in a hard water area. All in all as irons go this is definitely a keeper and not a "spare" that you take on holiday. Not sure about the color though I dont know why manufactures use funky colors for irons its not like its a fashionable piece of equipment is it. All in all very happy with this iron, performs very well, the de-calc tool will certainly please some people and ensure longevity of use along with the very generous 2 year guarantee. Add to that the safety cut off feature and you have yourselves a winner.

Philips HR1867/21 Viva Collection Quick Clean Juicer - Brushed Aluminium
Philips HR1867/21 Viva Collection Quick Clean Juicer - Brushed Aluminium

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes short work of fruit and veg giving a smooth juice. Nice looking unit too., 1 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having almost nothing to compare this too I am reviewing this with the eyes of a complete juicer newbie. I was initially shocked at the size of the box, I'm 40 years of age and to me a juicer was a small corrugated plastic dome that you press and twist half an orange or lemon on so this was quite a surprise. First task was to get a decent recipe for healthy juice as just fruit is very heavy on the sugar side of things, although very natural its still not actually as good for you as one might think. The unit itself is quite large as the box suggested but looks very nice indeed Phillips have put a lot of thought into the design and thankfully it doesn't look unsightly as I have no chance of this fitting in any of my kitchen cupboards. The large feeding tube is substantial enough to get a full apple in without the need to cut into pieces so was impressed with that. The juicer in operation made quick work of even chilled carrots as well as broccoli an various other fruits and vegetables. Beware though this is a juicer and NOT a blender so you will have the mush/pulp of the fruit and veg remaining. Most impressive personally was how easy it was to clean out, this was something I was not looking forward too however maybe it was because I did it straight away (while my juice was chilling in the fridge) but it was very easy indeed. A quick look at the box after having a play and it does state "easy clean" which usually is a load of old tosh but this really was easy to clean. All in all I was impressed with the speed and efficiency of this unit, the boastful 700w motor was very efficient and not aggressively loud either although I probably wouldn't be juicing before work at 5am. Almost top marks only the sheer size of the unit for me was a bit disappointing but thankfully its easy on the eye. We will definitely be using this on a regular basis.

Oreck Magnesium Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Oreck Magnesium Upright Vacuum Cleaner

2.0 out of 5 stars Good performance BUT loud, overpriced and no accesories or tools for stairs etc, 26 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Arriving in a plain brown box with no fancy photo's or advertising on the outside I instantly thought this was all about product and not gimmick. My first impression was this was extremely light for a vacuum and was surprised/disappointed that unlike any other previous vacuum I had unboxed there was a distinct lack of any accessories/nozels etc so straight away this put at a distinct disadvantage to almost every other vacuum on the market but hopefully the performance will make up for this shortfall right? I tested this on the whole house and I have to say I was underwhelmed especially given the inflated price tag. It is very loud indeed compared to our Gtech Air ram, its is nowhere near as easy to navigate around the house as our dyson dc ball vacuum, YES it does perform very well and YES it is very light indeed but this does not make up for the complete lack of utensils and the price. When you consider you would need an additional unit just to vacuum the stairs an get into corners I would have to say I would be disappointed if I paid the price for this.
Its a good vacuum but the noise, price and lack of versatility are massive drawbacks.

Sony HT-CT381 Soundbar Speaker with Wireless Subwoofer - Silver
Sony HT-CT381 Soundbar Speaker with Wireless Subwoofer - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars A hassle free alternative to 5.1 with outstanding results., 11 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I will be the first to admit I was reviewing this item with a preconceived notion that it would not be up to scratch compared to my Panasonic 5.1 system as "surround sound" was the be all and end all of home theater sound.........I hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.
The box arrived and it kind of resembled a cardboard dining table/throne due to the shape, the subwoofer making up the seat and the actual sound bar making up the backrest, once opened and laid out on the floor it was considerably smaller than the boxed version but still sizable enough that it looked menacing enough. Installation was an absolute doddle, the subwoofer comes with a rubber foot which is ideal if you have wooden or laminate floor as it eliminates vibration. the subwoofer is also wireless which means you can place it anywhere in the room and as its a bass speaker it doensn't need to be placed in a specific location to get the full desired effect. The sound bar itself is very aesthetically pleasing and sat nicely underneath out 47" tv with no obstruction of view (or obstruction of the remote control receiver) once installed we tried it with a variety of different media, firstly a blu ray movie (Avengers Assemble) and I was blown away with the sound quality (i opted to turn down the sound completely on the tv as this created a slightly annoying echo) the sub woofer is FAR superior to my Panasonic one that came with my 5.1 system and the 2.1 sound was more that suitable and I really didn't feel like I was losing out on anything at all. The sound quality was breathtaking and every woosh and bang was received with a child like grin. We also tested this with some music using the bluetooth connection using my Samsung Galaxy S4, we listened to some heavy metal (slipknot v.5 the Gray Chapter) and some hard dance music (Jay Viper Digital Drome Mix) and both gave fantastic results, I found the bass a little heavy but this was easy adjusted.
All in all as a replacement or alternative to 5.1 and all the subsequent speakers and wires this was a pleasant surprise indeed. I will be the first to admit I didn't expect it to live up to what I had and maybe its the fact that my system is a few years old or maybe its testiment to the quality that sony brings to the table but this soundbar was much better than I expected and well worth the money

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20