Profile for maverick > Reviews

Content by maverick

maverick "manchester medic" (Manchester, UK)

Challenging Concepts in Cardiovascular Medicine: A Case-Based Approach with Expert Commentary
by Aung Myat

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 27 Oct 2013
Heard about this book from the BMA awards, went to the trust library to borrow one and check it out. Absolutely superb.
Written by trainees and edited by people like Prof Redwood, it provides a very clear understanding of important Cardiology topics. What makes it so unique as well compared to other texts is it is very well written and flows nicely, making it easy to read. Chapters are straight to the point, and the cases will easily resonate with every doctor who has either done a general medical job or have an interest in Cardiology. Well-referenced and makes you appreciate the numerous clinical trials and evidence base that have led to modern day cardiology practice. I find the 'Clinical Tips' and 'Expert Comments' boxes highly educational and they have certainly influenced the way I manage my patients on the wards. Highly recommended.

LG 50PA650T 50-inch Full HD 1080p Plasma TV with Freeview and 3 HDMI Ports (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable value for the price and quality., 12 Nov 2012
Ok so I rarely write reviews on things I buy but this is one of those ones which I think is worthy of a mention. I did not have a lot of money to spare, so buying thr right TV was a big issue for me. Like most people, I spent a bit of time contemplating on which tv technology was best for me, i.e. LCD/LED/plasma. After a bit of research I realized plasma suited my needs the best as I watch a lot of sports, and plasma offers better high speed movements, better contrast ratio, better viewing angles, and more natural colour tones, the black colours are much better and this is important if you'd like to get as close a cinema experience at home as you can. I was not too bothered about 3D hence why I chose this model. A good review of how the three technologies compare can be found here [...]

So what are the good points of this tv?
1. Very easy to setup. Took me and the missus around 10 minutes and we were up and running. It comes with a stand, and if you want to wallmount it, I think you need to get a separate bracket. We did not wall mount ours.

2. Looks absolutely gorgeous in your living room. Well built and sturdy. Nice finish. The remote is also well laid out, eventhough it is a bit plasticky.

3. Enough HDMI ports and also has a USB port and ethernet port. We connected our xbox 360, bluray and Sky+ HD box without any problems. I did not use the BBC iPlayer, youtube and picasa apps that came with it as I had all those things and more via my xbox 360. But you can utilize those built in apps via an ethernet connection. Wifi needs an external dongle I think.

4. Plays media files on your external hardisk via USB. I was pleasantly surprised by this. So far it has played (and upscaled nicely when needed) all my files. Wmv, avi, even MKV without any problems at all. Well impressed.

5. Picture quality is absolutely stunning, including gaming. You feel immersed in whatever you are watching and it just takes viewing tv to another level. The colours are gorgeous and you dont need to tinker round much with the settings as it detects the lighting itself and adjusts accordingly. Of course u can adjust it if u want which was what I did and this was pretty straightforward. Fast moving images were superb (Sky Sports HD looks breathtaking!). David Attenborough's documentaries never looked so good!

6. Sound is surprisingly deep and good enough for me, considering how thin it is.

7. Cheap considering what you get for your money.

The not so good bits:
1. There is a bit of glare if you are in a brightly lit room.

2. There is no SMART TV hub that you find in Samsung's tvs. But then again I had my xbox connected to it and I used my Lovefilm, Youtube, and BBC iPlayer etc via xbox so it wasn't an issue at all. In fact I feel the xbox apps are much better designed.

3. Not wifi enabled. Needs an ethernet cable for internet connection. Not so much an issue in my case, as my xbox was connected to the internet and I used the xbox for all the 'smart tv' apps.

4. It is not as bright as an LED tv which you will realize is the case with all plasmas. In exchange, the colours feel more 'natural'. They are still bright, but of course not as bright as LEDs. Unless you have a massive living room then this will probably not be such an issue.

So that's it really. All in all, for this price and quality, it really is exceptional value for money and I would highly recommend this model for anyone out there looking for a solid, well-priced, large screen tv with lots of good features and outstanding picture quality.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2013 5:16 PM GMT

Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360)
Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars If there was such a thing as a perfect game, this would be it., 1 Oct 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game about a year and a bit ago after I started working, just to kill time on weekends. This was following the award-winning Mass Effect 1 which I enjoyed a lot. Mass Effect 2 just blows everything else out of the water and I couldn't put it down once I started. Bioware and EA have done a really good job and the fact that you can determine your own storyline based on the decisions you make (and the relationships!) have revolutionized RPG gaming.

Mass Effect 2 takes Commander Shephard on a mission: To take the battle to the Collectors, and fight in their own backyard. But to do this, he will need to assemble a crew of the best individuals in the galaxy. Humans, biotics, krogans, etc will all need to be handpicked by Shephard and he strives to gain their loyalties through various side missions which are a lot of fun and give each member of his crew a deeper story behind their characters.

Having done that, he needs to take the ship through the Omega 4 Relay to reach the Collectors' homeworld, but no ship has ever made it back. I don't want to spoil the plot too much, but that's where it all gets very interesting and I promise you will be at the edge of your seat throughout the final mission! You just sense the enormity of the occasion (eventhough it's just a game!) and how much it means to all the characters to actually make it back alive.

Watch the trailer on Youtube, it gives me goosebumps everytime I watch it even after having completed the game. You feel for the characters and you try your best to keep them alive!!

As for the other aspects of gameplay, the way you upgrade weapons and use your powers have been tremendously improved. Graphics are much better, and the way you mine for minerals/resources have also been changed for the better.

It's hard to find a fault with this game, and I can't wait for Mass Effect 3 coming out in March 2012. If there was such a thing as a perfect game, then this would be it.

Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360
Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360
Offered by WorldCinema

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably one of the best games ever made., 25 May 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Okay I am not a hardcore gamer, but I do religiously play the odd game or two. I am more of a sports-games kind of person but this game definitely blew my mind.

I did not play AC1 so can't comment on that but from what I have experienced playing AC2 (just finished today!), it is one hell of an experience that no one should miss. Even if you are not a serious gamer, try it. It will make you fall in love with it.

Assassin's Creed 2 is just a work of art. It's no longer a game, I think it has transcended into a marvelous piece of art. The storyline is engaging right from the very beginning, the buildings are beautifully rendered, and the historical facts have been very well researched albeit some fictional add-ons here and there. You can do practically anything; swim, kill enemies, ride horses, jump from tall buildings, assassinate using stealth, blend in with the crowd, hire mercenaries, poison, row a gondola in Venice, fly with Leonardo Da Vinci's flying machine, the list is endless. I can go on and on.

There is enough mystery in it to engage you right until the very end and I can't wait for Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood to be released on Oct 1, as it seems that Macchiavelli and co will be in it as well to join forces with Ezio and battle in Rome. Trust me, if you are thinking of buying this game, go and buy it.

It's gonna be epic.

Clinical Examination: A Systematic Guide to Physical Diagnosis
Clinical Examination: A Systematic Guide to Physical Diagnosis
by Nicholas J. Talley MD PhD FACP FRACP FRCP

5.0 out of 5 stars probably one of the best!, 23 May 2008
Talley is a professor of Medicine at Mayo Clinic, USA. I have Macleod's and Oxford Clinical Skills as well, but this book is just a class above the rest when it comes to explaining why the physical signs appear the way they are. It generates your interest (which is rare for physical exams!) and makes you understand your physical exam much better and not just regurgitate memorized lists of things. The DVD that comes along with it is really really helpful for last minute revision eventhough the methods in this book differ a bit from British titles. But everyone has their own way of examining patients so I guess it's not too much of a problem. Pictures are outstanding and the summaries at the end of the chapters are invaluable. It gives a list of differentials for physical signs as well which I find really useful. For the CVS system it also teaches you how to go about Xrays and has pictures of Xrays of common pathologies.

Its main strength is the way it's written and the flow of discussion to it. The text is clearly laid out and font size is nice and clear unlike some books which sometimes can hurt your eyes after prolonged reading. The text is really detailed and has all the info that Macleod's and other books have but at the same time does not overwhelm you. Due to the way it's written, you can choose to get as much or as little detail as you want and it won't affect your understanding. I think this book can serve me well not only for my Undergraduate studies but possibly right through to membership exams too. Get other books as well if you want, but definitely buy this along with them, trust me, you won't regret it!

Western Digital My Book 500GB Essential  USB2.0 External Hard Drive
Western Digital My Book 500GB Essential USB2.0 External Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very good., 19 Feb 2008
I bought this 6 months ago and have been very impressed with it. Easy to set up, just plug and play. It doesn't have a switch ON/OFF button, it turns itself on when u connect it to your USB port, just like a pen drive. And when you eject it, it turns itself off again. This is what some people don't understand, they probably didn't read the manual properly. The flashing green light is just a light and it's not something you can press like a button. Very reliable, and fast. Looks good on your table as well. Unbelievably quiet too! Highly recommended.

Memorising Medicine: A Revision Guide (Get Through Series)
Memorising Medicine: A Revision Guide (Get Through Series)
by Dr. Paul Bentley

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing., 2 Jan 2008
What more can I say, this is an excellent book. Supplements your core clinical medicine text really well (Kumar and Clark or Davidson's or others). Wonderful diagrams that are hand-drawn that makes them look unique and more like personal notes. Wonderful mnemonics throughout, highly recommended! I no longer use my notes now!

Minutes To Midnight
Minutes To Midnight

5.0 out of 5 stars Gave me goosebumps. Absolutely Amazing., 28 Dec 2007
This review is from: Minutes To Midnight (Audio CD)
This album is by far the best LP have produced. The songs are that good, they gave me goosebumps and the lyrics are really meaningful as well...

Jose Mourinho: Made in Portugal - the Authorised Biography
Jose Mourinho: Made in Portugal - the Authorised Biography
by Luís Lourenço

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring...enlightening, 28 Dec 2007
This is a really good book explaining how 'The Special One' handles his life and career. Not only for those interested in football but also as a general guide to life. His determination is outstanding when you read through the book and one just have to admire his life principles, discipline, confidence, and how he is always prepared and works his socks off in everything that he does. His relatively quick rise to stardom is a testament to all the work he has put in which I think will ultimately make him one of the legendary managers of the game (if he isn't already!). And I'm not even a Chelsea fan.

Gray's Anatomy for Students Flash Cards: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access
Gray's Anatomy for Students Flash Cards: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access
by Richard Drake
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing you can have to learn anatomy!, 23 Nov 2006
I bought the Gray's anatomy textbook last year when I was in my first year of med school. I found out that it had a lot of nice pictures which is imperative in getting your head around anatomy. Ask any med student. It was good, but not outstanding. Then I decided this year that I wanted to try out the flash cards. And oh my god...they are awesome!! Not only the pictures are briliant, but it also comes with clinical stuff on each card which helps. They are better if you have the textbook as well. The online access is different to others on studentconsult.com as it utilizes Flash and you can zoom in and out, rotate cards, create playlists and so much more! Totally impressed on a job excellently done. Exceeded my expectations by a mile!