Profile for Sabera Kara > Reviews

Les Miserables (Classics)
Les Miserables (Classics)
by Victor Hugo

5.0 out of 5 stars the best book I've ever read, 26 Nov 2011
Getting into this book was so easy for me and I was soon hooked to it. I developed something of an attachment to the protagonist of the novel and still feel this kind of love and respect for the character he is. Valjean is the most amazing character I have come across, for so many reasons, not only by what he achieves but by his outlook on life and the many decisions he makes.
After finishing the book I was so affected by the story that I wanted to see all things 'Les Miserables' but I can tell you the movies no where as near convey the same feeling you get from all the background details of the characters and the times in the book. But I must add that the musical is a must see. There's something in the music and lyrics that help convey the feelings and emotions more appropriatley. Alfie Boe portrays Valjean wonderfully and I would go to see it again and again.
Just like the musical I would read this book over again, although a long read, it's very much worth it. even just dipping into sections here and there helps me to reminisce the wonderful story. I would strongly advice this as a read also to those interested in post-revolutionary France. Hugo describes the struggle of the 1832 Paris Uprising and gives an insight into ideas that were most possibly prelavent at the time. There is also an intriguing account of the battle of Waterloo and the cause of the French defeat.
I have found many parallels between 'Les Miserable' and some of the major works of Dickens. I will not elabourate on these so as not to ruin the plot of the story but this in a sense is all the more reason to read such a piece of literature, two great minds shared such similar visions and ideas.

Madame Bovary (Wordsworth Classics)
Madame Bovary (Wordsworth Classics)
by Gustave Flaubert

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor Charles, 10 May 2011
I found it hard to get into this book at first but after reading through half of it I really started to feel for the characters. first for Emma herself as a young wife, then for Charles with his own problems. I can understand how it would have been a controversial book of it's time. Her antics can still be seen as morally wrong and against most social cultures. We do get a feeling of why she is doing what she does but it never seems right.

I think we need to rewind our minds and think of how this book would be percived by someone living in the 19th century. Seen by many as controversial, the many who actually read it would not have seen this as a common issue as it is today. As with most stories it really takes off in the second half and that's the most ineteresting part.

A Suitable Boy
A Suitable Boy
by Vikram Seth

5.0 out of 5 stars long read but very interesting, 10 May 2011
This review is from: A Suitable Boy (Paperback)
It took me a while to read this but I think it was well worth it. I think I enjoyed it so much because of the time in which it was set (after partition of India, 1947), as for the place I was able to relate to completely. Although based on one main character, the many characters that make up the story are of equal importance. There are many dramatic twists in the story, particulary towards the end, making it a book that is hard to put down.

Lata seems to be a traditionalist, but I think this would be expected from most people in that era, fighting between what she wants and what her mother wants for her. conservative values are important to most people of this time and so this is a prominent theme, central to her character. Maan seems to be the modernist of the story, maybe even the rebel, but he is still a loveable character. The way the chracters and their families entwine and seem to be all connected is very cleverly put together.

I would recommend this book, and I think that it is something that I could read again.

The Museum of Innocence
The Museum of Innocence
by Orhan Pamuk

5.0 out of 5 stars this really made me cry, 9 May 2011
I got really emotional when reading this book. It is a love story and so you can expect it to be quite emotional with the highs and lows of love, me seeing more lows than highs. I'm not Turkish and so reading this book gave me an amazing insight into another culture that I was not very familiar with. I did get quite involved in the story and really felt for the characters.

Pamuk is a brilliant author and I think this is another one of his great books. It is the kind of book that makes you hope and pray that everything turns out well in the end, sort of leaving you gripping the book. Everyone has their own perspective on love but in my view I think the main character, Kemal, is a sweet, romantic guy that would do so much for his one true love and to preserve that one true love. I was quite sad when it ended and I was literally in tears.

The Glass Palace
The Glass Palace
by Amitav Ghosh

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 9 May 2011
This review is from: The Glass Palace (Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading this book. The imagery used in the words gives an amazing picture of a time and place that is comepletely unknown to me, yet after reading this book I feel as if these events and places are a part of my memory. Some sections I did not find as interesting and found that they tending to drag on, but after reading on you realise that they are essential in getting a better understanding of the story. Although the story spans over a hundered years, it is condensed very well, not too informative and not too less.

There are a few twists in the story that make you think 'wow! that was a bit unexpected' which make you want to read on. I did find it hard to put this book down at times and wanted to keep on reading as much as possible.

As it is a semi-fiction and many of the characters were actual real people, it makes the book a liitle more special.
After finishing the book I was quite inspired to do a bit of reasearch on Burma during and after the British Raj and the exodus of the Indians. I do have a few family members who were in that exodus and so that may be a aspect of in my interest of the book and subject. But overall I do rate this as a must read book, giving an insight into many different cultures.

A Thousand Splendid Suns
A Thousand Splendid Suns
by Khaled Hosseini

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 8 Nov 2010
When I was first given this book to read I had a very negative view towards it, as it was not my genre of interest. I thought 'OK I'll give it a go'. So I sat down to read one morning and I just could not put the book down. I read from 9am till 4pm. I was so fascinated and just wasnted to know what happens next. It captivated me so much that I finished it in less then two days and was sad that the experience of that particular story was over.

The characters are all very interesting and they are all given a heavy sense of reality. As we are so engrossed into their lives we feel so strongly towards them. At times I got so into the story that it felt so real and I wept for the characters and just hoped that they would be alright. This may sound very silly but it is a very powerfull story and influences your emotions as you think that this could very well (in a similar way) have happened to someone or maybe happening to someone and gives you a sense of gratitude for live and it's pleasures in a peaceful and developed country.