Profile for Lousson > Reviews

Lousson (Samois)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars A fair pipe, 29 Jan 2012
The pipe comes with a internal metal condenser to regulate the smoke, however I prefer to smoke without it. It gives a decent draw and has a nice classic bent stem design. However, it has some major draw backs. The stem is brittle and feels plasticky in the mouth. When removed from the bowl I noticed that it is slightly warped too. My main gripe is with the bowl itself which seems to be finished in a dark paint like finish. Basically it is cheaply made and does not have the weight that a good standard pipe has.

In all honesty I think 15 for the pipe is too expensive. If you can pick this up for cheaper it might be worth having. It is the sort of pipe that you would keep in your coat pocket and bash around from time to time.

Godless: The Church of Liberalism
Godless: The Church of Liberalism
by Ann Coulter
Price: 8.85

1.0 out of 5 stars Superficial, 10 July 2009
I read this book in passing as I was curious as to America's fascination with Coulter's political diatribes, one in which she has carved herself a fruitful career from. Unfortunately her deliberation into polemic conservatism does little to disrupt the structure she is purporting to be critiquing. I suspect the problem lies within the fact that she has perhaps become a part of the system she is trying to dismantle, therefore she is unable to criticise it effectively. (That system, I suspect, is degradation of occidental moral truisms within a postmodern era).

The main thing I found lacking within Coulter's work is her lack of methodology. She has no framework for researching basic political premises. If you aim to delve into the political sciences then you need to be disciplined, rigorous and meticulous. Unfortunately she does not adhere to any of her qualities within her writings. Instead, what we see are sweeping generalisations of complex issues that serve to 'shock' and give her a purpose to pontificate her arbitrary and extreme views on liberalism in America. Whether you consider yourself a leftist or not, whether you subscribe yourself to any political convictions for that matter, it is integral to any discourse that the history of knowledge is anaylsed, contested, debated to the fullest extent to develop this field of knowledge. However, Coulter does not seem to be concerned with engaging with knowledge, her writings merely with explore her own boisterous hatred and ignorance in religious and socio-political issues.

Although she might consider her work to be polemic or to have a discordent effect on the general structure that inhabits the current political environment, I do not believe it functions as any of these things. It fails to function as a political text or a reasoned sociological observation, and for that reason one is naturally inclined to take her views with a pinch of salt.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2010 1:56 AM GMT

Jazz Improvisation for Guitar [With CD with 35 Demo Tracks] (REH Pro Lessons)
Jazz Improvisation for Guitar [With CD with 35 Demo Tracks] (REH Pro Lessons)
by Les Wise
Price: 9.06

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 23 Mar 2009
The exercises in the book will help you give you ideas in tension and resolution over the likes of Dm - G7 - Cmaj. First of all, I think the book is aimed more at the seasoned jazz player who wants to open up their playing a bit. The licks that it teaches are, in my opinion, very subtle. The benefits of this is that it will encourage you to try make up your own licks and melodies, as well as open up the fretboard for you. So it will help you to creative in a more organic fashion. I think a book like this is a book for life. Ultimately it'll help you solo over those four main areas Minor, Major, Dominant 7 and Dominant 7b5. It's something you can refer back to if you ever get stuck for ideas as there is a lot of content there.

Foucault: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Foucault: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Gary Gutting
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Introduction to a Complex Thinker, 9 Nov 2007
I think the reviewer before me was a little harsh on what is a short introduction to one of France's greatest intellectuals. This text book helped me through out my university years in grasping some of the key elements behind Foucault's text and also offers an insight into his thinking through out the years. I don't think the book is arbitrary (as mentioned by the previous reviewer) in covering what is a very massive body of work. It takes us through his ideas of power, politics, the birth of the institution, sexuality in a very accessible way. Notably, it is obviously not as concise as actually reading Foucault's writing, which can be very rewarding. But this little is a good book is effective in immersing you within Foucault's philosophy. My main criticism is that the last chapter on sexuality is somewhat a little meandering. Although it isn't classed as Foucault's strongest work, I do feel it doesn't capture the essence of 'history of sexuality' well enough. Overall i highly recommend it for those who want to an effective stepping stone into Foucault's work.

To Bi Or Not to Bi/Djangology
To Bi Or Not to Bi/Djangology
Price: 20.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 12 Aug 2007
The first CD labelled 'A tribute to Django Reinhardt' is Bireli playing his modern jazz with a big band. Notably I think fans of Bireli will be pleased to hear him exploring the music, the big band at times adds great insight into the standards. Bireli's playing is modern in this CD, and it is definitely technical and proficient. He pushes himself musically where he actually sings on two of the tracks. 'Good Life' and 'Shadow of your smile'. His vocals sounds a little awkward but honest at the same time. I found that the big band arrangements were good, but doesn't do enough in my opinion in exploring the music. Ultimately I don't feel that it is arranged well enough, and lingers uncomfortably in the background of Bireli's soloing. In fact, if you were to listen to the recordings Django did with a big band, they sound remarkably fresh and swinging, unlike what is displayed on the CD which has a tendency to sound even more dated! Bireli's playing is good if you enjoy his modern sound. One of the stand out songs is 'Minor Blues', really moody and swinging, Django would be proud! Overall 3/5

The solo CD is a bit of a strange affair. It displays Bireli's solo compositions which are by and large improvised. However, those who aren't accustomed to Bireli's solo improv will find this CD incredibly inaccessible. Because structurally, it is incredibly organic and thus had a tendency to be neurotic too. After saying so, there is no doubt in my mind that Bireli is a virtuoso, perhaps one of the world's greatest in terms of ideas and creativity. His playing is eclectic, taking us through classical riffs, blues, rock, and even eastern folk. Therefore I did find this remarkably interesting to listen to and perhaps more satisfying. But this has to come with the patience and frustration at the same time. The solo CD is definitely one for those who are familiar with Bireli and his musical ethos. 4/5

Hama Star 63 Tripod with Carry Case
Hama Star 63 Tripod with Carry Case
Offered by TapeCity
Price: 17.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Aug 2007
I have to say, for the price I think the tripod is pretty much awesome value for money. I was surprised to find that it really is a stable peice of kit, with balled rubber legs to get firm grip, and thick sturdy legs to keep your camera sturdy. There are two spirits levels, one to adjust the horizontal and the other the vertical. This is the kind of tripod that can take its knocks, it's really nicely built and has thick knobs to tighten those moveable joints. The movements of the levers seem smooth. My brother spent about the same amount of money on a tripod about a year ago and it is no where as near as good as this one.

In any case, the sturdiness and reliability of it has its drawbacks. It is a little bit larger than other tripods when folded up. But after saying so the tripod comes with a black carry bag and IS light. I had to carry this with my camera gear for about 2 miles with relative ease.

Beware. The tripod amazon sent me was not in brand new condition and had been already used. It functions fine but still...

Breakfast at Tiffany's
Breakfast at Tiffany's
by Truman Capote
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 14 Jun 2007
This review is from: Breakfast at Tiffany's (Paperback)
Having seen the movie version of Tiffany's on TV years ago when I was a child I was curious to see what the original novel had in terms of story telling. Ultimately, the story although short, takes a while to warm to. Mainly due to Capote's concise writing style, we are straight away introduced to the characters and subjected to lines of dialogue that instantly immerse you into the environment and the quirky character of Holly Golightly. I have to admit, this is the only book I've read of Capote and it took me a while to get use to his way of developing character through dialogue and conversation. Nonetheless, I was really gripped half way through the story, and leads to a rather solemn ending.

I have to confess that the extra short stories are what made this book worth the money. Unlike 'Breakfast At Tiffany's' the short stories are, well, even shorter and seems more poetic and considered than the main course. In 'House of Flowers' Capote seems to capture the resonance of good drama and love in a tale that was well observed indeed. The characters seem more real, and his portrayal of a loving relationship is subtle and very clever indeed. The other two stories are just the same, Capote is able to portray characters that feel incredibly real and humane. The book ends with 'Christmas Memory' and is a sincere account of his last innocent Christmas. A thoughtful and melancholic book from a well observed writer.

South Of The Border, West Of The Sun
South Of The Border, West Of The Sun
by Haruki Murakami
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 Jun 2007
Murakami deals with themes of romance, longing, marraige, and sadness in this story about a a past romance. I think this is definitely more in line with Sputnik Sweetheart and Norwegian Wood, that is to say is more grounded in reality rather than surreal wit. In any case this novella captures the feelings of sadness and love really well, as the main character sits there looking out of the car window, we are there with him. I've come to the conclusion his writing style is a bit like a semantic Edward Hopper painting. In any case, this is a beautiful book which left a resonance with me when long after I finished it. A great novella that is written concisely and intelligently.

Dance Dance Dance
Dance Dance Dance
by Haruki Murakami
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 10 Jun 2007
This review is from: Dance Dance Dance (Paperback)
Dance Dance DAnce is a follow up novel to a Wild Sheep Chase, but it stands very much on its own as a book. You don't particularly need to read Wild Sheep Chase before this one. Anyway, I can say that Dance Dance Dance is a huge improvement on a Wild Sheep Chase (which I thought was pretty dire). Murakami delves into the surreal with this one, and usually when he writes about surreal metaphysical situations, it either tends to be really symbolic and thought provoking or really contrived. This however is Murakami on form I think, and found the peculiar situations that occur to the main protagonist to be reminiscent of Philip K Dick. Furthermore this books was definitely more mystery than his others too. And was really involved until the last page. He also manages to capture the feeling of loniliness really well within the book. And found myself thinking about the book alot days after I finished it. It's definitely one of the better Murakami novels, and definitely one of the darkest

2046
2046

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 3 Jun 2007
This review is from: 2046 (Audio CD)
I brought this version of the CD because it seems to have more songs than the regular version. Furthermore this version of the CD is indeed a french import. It's enhanced due to the extra tracks and bonus images on the CD which can be viewed on PC I think. I have to say, overall I enjoyed this CD moreso than the 'In The Mood For Love' one, although it hasn't got that killer theme in the latter movie, the whole CD is a well balanced and extremely listenable one. The CD is notably made up of classical music, a bit of jazz, and some spanish sounding numbers. The later tracks reflect the '2046' future segment of the movie and has some interesting overlaying. Overall a great buy to an awesome movie

Page: 1 | 2 | 3