Profile for Jocasta Jones > Reviews

Content by Jocasta Jones

Jocasta Jones (West Sussex, England)

Peter Greenaway's A TV Dante: The Inferno Cantos I-VIII [DVD]
Peter Greenaway's A TV Dante: The Inferno Cantos I-VIII [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Gielgud

5.0 out of 5 stars A Divine (Comedy) Pleasure, 7 Aug. 2011
So pleased this has been released on DVD. I remember taping every episode from TV when it was originally aired so to obtain this in DVD format is such a pleasure. The story is familiar to most and remains perhaps the most important piece of medieval literature written. This presentation covers the first 8 cantos as Dante slowly descends into the Circles of Hell which in itself presents the main problem for the creators of this film. How do you convey Hell and the horrors contained within? Later films tried to present Hell with flashy CGI (i.e. 'Constantine') but, although often enjoyable in other ways, do not come close to this production of showing the chaos, despair & evil that mere mention of the word 'Hell' conjures. The images confuse, repulse & terrify, and surely that is the point.

If you are a person who actually thinks & ponders this DVD will rank among your most precious.

Mean Creek [DVD] [2004]
Mean Creek [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Rory Culkin
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a little more..., 13 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Mean Creek [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
This is an excellent film with superb acting from its young cast. I won't repeat the copious praise from other reviewers here as they encapsulate the film better than I can, but I do have one (positive) complaint which prevents me from giving a full 5 stars. The film length is just shy of 90 mins - I feel a 2 hour presentation would not be amiss. Often lengthening a film just unnecessarily pads it out but such is the storytelling skill of the writer and professionalism of the actors I feel certain characters could have been slightly fleshed out - I just want to know more about their backgrounds! Also a slight continuation of some of the characters at the end - what happened to them? What were the consequences of their individual decisions? Of course the basic answer is it leaves it to your imagination...but with storytelling of this quality my imagination would have appreciated a shove in the right direction! Nevertheless, buy this film - you will not regret it.

The American Astronaut [DVD] [2001] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
The American Astronaut [DVD] [2001] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars blown away, 3 Oct. 2007
I found this dvd in a weird shop in Brighton called Pussy. The shop doesn't usually sell dvds and this was the only title they were selling. This intrigued me so much I decided to buy......it was the best decision I made last year. The film is almost beyond description but if you enjoy surrealism just for the hell of it (and have no wish to engage in deep deciphering and quests for "meaning") then this could well be the best purchase you will make in a long, long, long time. Enjoy!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2016 9:16 PM BST