Profile for Miss L > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Magpies
The Magpies

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay - But A Bit Let Down., 16 Dec 2014
This review is from: The Magpies (Kindle Edition)
I purchased this for the Kindle because I had previously read Mark Edwards book, Because She Loves Me. I genuinely enjoyed reading Mark's book and this was a good second choice.

I really loved the theme of the story. That instance of neighbours, who live closely together, do not get on. In parts this book is creepy (the scene with the spiders is really good) and there are moments of genuine tension.

However, I was also kind of let down by it. It just didnt' have that WOW factor I was hoping for (and expecting, after I read some of the other reviews of the book). I thought Because She Loves Me had a genuine twist which surprised me. I think what really put me off this book was how smug the lead characters, Kirsty and Jamie were. So happy and satisfied with their "perfect" life It was ever so slightly annoying after the first few chapters.

I would certainly say give this book a go because what appeals to one person may not to another so it's down to personal choice. And it's not a bad book. But the author's mistake (for me) was making the lead characters so unlikeable (for me) and whom I could not relate to.

Still, was glad I read it and will certainly be reading others by the author over time.

Thirty Three And 1/3
Thirty Three And 1/3

5.0 out of 5 stars A Return To Form For Mr H!, 14 Dec 2014
This review is from: Thirty Three And 1/3 (Audio CD)
I fell in love with this album when I was about 13 (in 1992) and found it on Vinyl in a second hand shop in London. After ATMP this is one of my favourite solo albums by George.

The opening track, "Woman Don't You Cry For Me" just hooked me in on the first few notes and I knew that this was going to be a great album.

"Pure Smokey" is one song that is totally underrated, "See Yourself" gives you food for thought and "Learning How To Love You" is just beautiful.

Even though a lot of songs featured on this album are religion based it does not come across as preachy and the song "Crackerbox Palace" is fun, catchy and George at his humerous best.

This was a really good return by George who had seen less success with his previous albums like Dark Horse and Extra Texture.

As a George fanatic I can't rate this highly enough but there is enough to keep the casual listener interested, too.

Chasing the Ripper (Kindle Single)
Chasing the Ripper (Kindle Single)

2.0 out of 5 stars Let Down By Partrica I Expected More., 14 Dec 2014
Firstly, I will state that I have read Patricia Cornwell's previous book on the Ripper and I liked it. I don't know if I subscribe to her theory but it was well written and well presented - as I expected it to be. Her paragraph about Mary Kelly's death, in which she describes how Mary would of died is stunning.

However, I feel let down by this book. It seems that it's just a chance for Patricia Cornwell to moan about the reception of her first book. It was almost grouchy and she seems to be not very pleased with us Brits - some of who have given her a hard time. This does not really add anything to her theory just a sounding board.

Let down and expect better from Patricia if I'm honest.

Chimera
Chimera

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read - Could of Been Better Though., 14 Dec 2014
This review is from: Chimera (Kindle Edition)
I purchased this because I own the TV adaption on DVD and wanted to see about the book. I enjoyed the story which is based around genetic engineering and the subsequent fall out's.

This book was written in 1982 (I think) and was progressive and ahead of it's time. But, as much as the story is great, I much prefer the television adaption. There is a slight shallowness to the characters and I found the ending too hurried. The writing is good, though, and it's no reflection on the authors writing skills, but I think this book could of been so much better. For instance the Chimera around which the book is based is not featured as much as it could of been, and that is one let down.

However, the tragic scene based on the moors which was not featured in the tv adaption is quite moving.

I'd give this book a go, but if you really want to see the story come to life, seen the tv adaption instead.

Extra Texture
Extra Texture

4.0 out of 5 stars A Mixed Bag Of Emotional Songs, 14 Dec 2014
This review is from: Extra Texture (Audio CD)
I'm a George Harrison fanatic, but I will admit this is one album I don't often listen to often. Not that I dislike it in anyway, but I much prefer the lush All Things Must Pass or the funny and funky 33 & 1/3. But this album has two standout tracks "You" which shows off George's sense of humour and "Grey Cloudy Lies" which is heartbreaking. If you are interested in George's post Beatles music I'd suggest other albums such as Cloud Nine or Brainwashed first, but don't leave this album out altogether. It does have it's qualities.

The Exorcist
The Exorcist
by William Peter Blatty

5.0 out of 5 stars The Exorcist - Look behind the superfical gore to find a novel that will affect you like no other., 6 Dec 2014
This review is from: The Exorcist (Paperback)
I will state from the onset that The Exorcist is my favourite film and I read the novel after I saw the movie.

The Exorcist is one of those rare cases where the book is as good as the film, and the film is as good as the book.

One of the reason's I love the book is because it's just a extended version of the film. The Exorcist is not about spinning heads, green projectile vomit and profanity. The theme underneath all of that is far, far deeper and more frightening then the superficial elements to this book. Underneath that, there is a battle between good and evil. But, who wins? Well, I won't reveal that in case people reading this review may not of either read the book or viewed the film, but the battle is exciting.

The book is well written and it's just a shame that William Peter Blatty does not have the recognition he deserves, and indeed, a bigger library of books on the shelves. The characters are fantastic. You can sense (pre possession) Regan's fun filled, but ultimately troubled character. Burke Dennings, one of my all time favourite characters is funny and though a master of mischief, is likeable. Chris McNeil, Regan's mother, is pained at the changes in her daughter. But for me, the best character is Father Karras. Blatty has written him as a sad, lonely, confused priest, wracked with guilt over family matters and the seemingly loss of his faith. He is someone I almost yearn to comfort, such is the power of Blatty's writing.

There is no doubt that this is a horrific story. From the mundane, everyday family troubles that both Chris McNeil and her staff members suffer from, to the horrific possession and subsequent exorcism, Blatty writes so simply but effectively. And although there are graphic scenes and bad language throughout the book, they are not there to simply shock, (though they do), but they are all included as part of the story. They play their part which, in my mind, makes them acceptable.

The Exorcist is one of those "unputdownable" books, and, having read this after a car accident, I finished it in a day.

This is a story that will have you hooked and will chill you to the core. If you care to look beyond the superficial, look at the story underneath it all you WILL come away thinking more deeply about the world that surrounds us, and the things in our environment that we may not see.

I first saw the film and read the book at aged 16 (under aged I will admit) but it made such a impression and one that has never left me. Nearly twenty years on this book affects me as much as it did when I first read it. It is a novel that will stay with you.

To quote Shakespeare, "there are more things in heaven and earth .." and he was right. And there is no more a perfect novel then The Exorcist to prove that by reading a simple novel you can come away with a whole lot of questions that you may never of thought you'd ask.

Dracula: The Un-Dead
Dracula: The Un-Dead
by Dacre Stoker

1.0 out of 5 stars Very let down., 6 Dec 2014
This review is from: Dracula: The Un-Dead (Paperback)
If I could of given this book a big, fat zero then quite honestly, I would.

I will admit that I adore Dracula, by far, one of most favourite novels. (I have paperback, hardback and talking book versions) So, whilst I didn't expect this to be as good as Dracula, I was hoping that it would be a worthy sequel. I was wrong.

Just because one of the authors is related to Bram Stoker it by no means makes this a decent novel. I also find stories that are co-authored hard to get along with as generally both authors will have different styles that don't sit well together.

The story is flimsy and lacks substance. Also, I find the lesbian sex scenes (of which there are a few) totally over the top and read like the authors fantasy rather then a actual part of the story.

If you're buying this book expecting it to be a good sequel to Dracula you will come away disappointed. If your not that bothered about the original Dracula and are willing to take it for what it is, then it's worth a read.

Frankenstein: Or, the Modern Prometheus (Wordsworth Classics)
Frankenstein: Or, the Modern Prometheus (Wordsworth Classics)
by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

5.0 out of 5 stars A Much Loved Part Of My Favourite Gothic Horror Trilogy, 6 Dec 2014
I purchased this item to replace my old much loved and battered copy that was lost in a recent move.

The story is one of three gothic horror novels that I love. Dracula and The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde (which I'm currently reading).

We all know the basic story of Frankenstein, probably due to watching movies, but the book is far more indepth, naturally.

I like the pace of the story (though some people have told me they find it slow in places, but I can't agree) and much like Dracula and Dr Jekyll, no matter how many times I read the story I'm always hooked from the very first line.

There is something nice about reading a genuinely disturbing and unsettling story without having to rely on typical blood and gore.

I think though this is a book that you'll either really enjoy or struggle to get into. But if do struggle, stick with it. It's well worth it.

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Other Tales of Terror (Penguin Classics)
by Robert Louis Stevenson

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not disappointed. I have been totally engaged in this story ..., 6 Dec 2014
I am currently reading the book now. It's the first time I've read it in "adult" form. I read this story as a child via Ladybird, then as a early teenager via Puffin Junior Classic's. I've also seen numerous television adaptions and films too. Suddenly out of nowhere had a desire to read the real version of this book, and so far, I'm not disappointed.

I have been totally engaged in this story from the very start. It's hooked me from the first line and have easily whiled away several hours just forgetting the time.

I have a real love of gothic horror stories such as Dracula and Frankenstein and I'm really enjoying reading this, too.

If you want a genuinely unsettling story that doesn't rely on blood and guts, this is for you. It's available on Amazon at a more than reasonable price so give it a go. It's entertaining and engaging.

Because She Loves Me
Because She Loves Me

4.0 out of 5 stars At first I thought it was going to be predictable .. I was wrong!, 6 Dec 2014
I brought this for my Kindle because it was at a reduced price of just 99p.

The book is utterly compelling and addictive. I had intended to read a few chapters last night then watch a film, but ended up reading 3/4's of the book last night and finished it off this morning.

At the start of the book it all seemed too obvious. I thought I knew how it would end. Rubbish! The twist is awesome and I have to admit I didn't see it coming.

The authors way of writing is very different to what I've read before and though it's a bit slack at times, it's easy to get into and very enjoyable.

I've added more of the authors titles on the Kindle's Wishlist. I will certainly be treating myself to a couple to enjoy over Christmas!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4