Profile for Miss L > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
House That Jack Built
House That Jack Built

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Sure ...., 16 May 2015
I read a few of Graham Mastertons books as a teen and when I purchased my Kindle recently downloaded Mirror which I loved.

Im not so sure on this book. In principal the story is good. I love a haunted house and the plot was good in that respect. Jack Belias - what a foul creature. But it was the two main characters, The Bellmans, I coudnt care for. Immediatey I felt no warmth for them and there lies the problem. Craig Bellman suffers a horrendous attack, which made my eyes water but yet I coudnt care less nor did I when he met his fate. His wife was a simpering, whiny woman who should of stood up to him.

So it was not the story that didnt appeal rather the character's. But I wont let this put me off- Im planning to read Famiy Portrait next!

This House is Haunted: The True Story of the Enfield Poltergeist
This House is Haunted: The True Story of the Enfield Poltergeist

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last I've Read It!, 16 May 2015
I have long had an interest in all things paranormal. This book is highly regarded by people who are interested in the subject. But for a long time it was out of print and what few copies were around where hideously expensive. I was delighted to find this on Kindle store. I read it over two nights just before the Timothy Spall drama aired.

The book is well written and a page turner. It is written in a simplistic, down to earth but engaging style, lacking any sensational writing that I found in books such as The Amityville Horror. Jargon isnt used ether.

I felt sorry for the family and all the things they endured as well as their neighbours, extended family and visitors to the house. It must of been horrific.

I thoroughy enjoyed this account of a very famous haunting. The wait to read this book was long but worth it!

Paranormal Intruder: The Frightening True Story of a Family in Fear
Paranormal Intruder: The Frightening True Story of a Family in Fear

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Account Of A Real Haunting., 16 May 2015
I love reading stories about real hauntings - even more so when its not too far from where I live! The downside is it's obviously written by amateur writers and at times the writing is a little clunky, but, that is also what makes this book interesting. You feel as though you are walking side by side with family through their traumatic haunting. This book is a real page turner. I enjoyed it.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass

4.0 out of 5 stars A Return To The Stories Of My Youth., 16 May 2015
I loved the Alice In Wonderland books as a child abd decided to reread thrm on this anniversary year. Though less appealing as a adult the stories retain there charm. At 99p it was affordable to. I very much enjoyed reading this.

The Secret of Crickley Hall [DVD]
The Secret of Crickley Hall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Suranne Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 16 May 2015
I loved this story when James Herbert first published it. In fact I have it on both audio and book format. I really enjoyed this solid tv version. Adaptions of James's books are hit and miss but this is a hit! Brilliantly produced and acted you shouldnt miss it. Fingers crossed the BBC may adapt more of this wonderful writers books!

Beneath the Surface: Killer Whales, SeaWorld, and the Truth Beyond Blackfish
Beneath the Surface: Killer Whales, SeaWorld, and the Truth Beyond Blackfish

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thought Provoking And Honest Book, 16 May 2015
I have been waiting for some time to read this and thanks to Kindle I had instant access to it. I thoroughly enjoyed this book which gives a briliant insight into the darker side of Seaworld and the marine industry. I could understand Johns adoration of the whales, especially Takara, but after years of accidents and injuries as well as seeing the unkind treatment of the whales (withholding food) he made the tough decision to leave. Ths book is a well written, easy to read and at times emotional book. This book is (in my opinion) a part of a trio of must haves about the captive whale industry which also includes David Kirbys Death At Seaworld and the amazing documentary, Blackfish, which John appears in. I am not going to comment on the rights and wrongs of captivity. But if you read this book as well as use the other two sources you will certainly be able to make your own mind up. This is a brilliant, thought provoking read.

Down With Skool!: A guide to school life for tiny pupils and their parents (Penguin Modern Classics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Down With Skool - A Little Gem., 30 Dec. 2014
A friend recommended this book to me and I have to say I found it really funny. I think, in all honesty, that this is more of a boy's read but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The book focuses on the naughty school boy, Nigel Molesworth and his observations on school life. There were parts of this book that had me laughing out loud, especially the one liners that just tickled my fancy.If you like school boy humour you'll love this!

The Magpies
The Magpies

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay - But A Bit Let Down., 16 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Magpies (Kindle Edition)
I purchased this for the Kindle because I had previously read Mark Edwards book, Because She Loves Me. I genuinely enjoyed reading Mark's book and this was a good second choice.

I really loved the theme of the story. That instance of neighbours, who live closely together, do not get on. In parts this book is creepy (the scene with the spiders is really good) and there are moments of genuine tension.

However, I was also kind of let down by it. It just didnt' have that WOW factor I was hoping for (and expecting, after I read some of the other reviews of the book). I thought Because She Loves Me had a genuine twist which surprised me. I think what really put me off this book was how smug the lead characters, Kirsty and Jamie were. So happy and satisfied with their "perfect" life It was ever so slightly annoying after the first few chapters.

I would certainly say give this book a go because what appeals to one person may not to another so it's down to personal choice. And it's not a bad book. But the author's mistake (for me) was making the lead characters so unlikeable (for me) and whom I could not relate to.

Still, was glad I read it and will certainly be reading others by the author over time.

Thirty Three And 1/3
Thirty Three And 1/3
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars A Return To Form For Mr H!, 14 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Thirty Three And 1/3 (Audio CD)
I fell in love with this album when I was about 13 (in 1992) and found it on Vinyl in a second hand shop in London. After ATMP this is one of my favourite solo albums by George.

The opening track, "Woman Don't You Cry For Me" just hooked me in on the first few notes and I knew that this was going to be a great album.

"Pure Smokey" is one song that is totally underrated, "See Yourself" gives you food for thought and "Learning How To Love You" is just beautiful.

Even though a lot of songs featured on this album are religion based it does not come across as preachy and the song "Crackerbox Palace" is fun, catchy and George at his humerous best.

This was a really good return by George who had seen less success with his previous albums like Dark Horse and Extra Texture.

As a George fanatic I can't rate this highly enough but there is enough to keep the casual listener interested, too.

Chasing the Ripper (Kindle Single)
Chasing the Ripper (Kindle Single)

2.0 out of 5 stars Let Down By Partrica I Expected More., 14 Dec. 2014
Firstly, I will state that I have read Patricia Cornwell's previous book on the Ripper and I liked it. I don't know if I subscribe to her theory but it was well written and well presented - as I expected it to be. Her paragraph about Mary Kelly's death, in which she describes how Mary would of died is stunning.

However, I feel let down by this book. It seems that it's just a chance for Patricia Cornwell to moan about the reception of her first book. It was almost grouchy and she seems to be not very pleased with us Brits - some of who have given her a hard time. This does not really add anything to her theory just a sounding board.

Let down and expect better from Patricia if I'm honest.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2015 6:39 PM GMT