Profile for Miss L > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Demon Dentist
Demon Dentist

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read For Youngsters, 24 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Kindle Edition)
I brought this on Kindle to read to my niece who loves David Walliams. I found the story to be funny, entertaining and just the right length to hold her attention. She is a great fan of Roald Dahl (she loves the slightly dark nature of his books) so especially enjoyed this story which had her laughing in parts. Though she prefers Ratburger and Awful Auntie this got the thumbs up from her. I'm sure Walliams will find his place as a excellent and funny children's writer.

The Ladykiller
The Ladykiller

4.0 out of 5 stars A Book I Couldn't Put Down, 24 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Ladykiller (Kindle Edition)
POTENTIAL SPOILERS CONTAINED! I will admit I'm a late comer to Martina Cole but I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Although I worked out early on who the murderer was, nonetheless was taken on a rollercoaster of a ride. The books description of sexual murders and sexual assault are hard to read, especially so as Martina Cole is excellent at giving her characters depth. There was one murder in particular towards the end of the book that left me quite sad. A bit of a "oh no" moment especially when the victim was on the edge of freedom and much yearned for happiness. This book is chilling at how ordinary - boring even - the murderer is. I've worked with very similar men myself, slightly henpecked and old fashioned. What didn't work for me was the romance between two of the lead characters. For some reason it just doesn't work for me but other readers may find it a interesting element to the story. Overall I found this a fantastic read. It's a long book but it hooks you in. I spent many a long night reading just one more chapter! It's gritty, rude in places and violent. Not for the faint hearted but I found it a great read. Looking forward to reading more of her books!

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train

1.0 out of 5 stars Hugely Disappointed., 16 Jun. 2016
I read this book because it was reduced on Kindle. I've seen this book everywhere and heard people talking about it so after a years delay thought I would read it. I was disappointed. The characters are flat and I did not like any of them. Felt nothing for them dispute their various issues. The writing was repetitive, it felt like I was reading the same thing over and over and over. I didn't particularly care for the lead character when things got nasty,it all seemed shallow. I did manage to read it all but it was a struggle and was relieved to get to the end. The author failed to make me interested in the characters and therefore didn't really care for them, either. It was a flat book without any texture, colour or depth. The only intriguing thing about it is how has this book become so popular? It left me as staggered and confused about its popularity as 50 Shades did. Within my group of friends some have loved it, some hated it. I've always shown caution about the new big thing in the book world. And most of the time they rarely live up to expectations. This is a great, lazy read for when your on your sun lounger on holiday. But I do like a little more depth in my reading and this was seriously lacking.

Behind Closed Doors
Behind Closed Doors

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read But It Has It's Faults., 16 Jun. 2016
Over all, I liked this book. Despite its difficult subject matter it was easy to read and I got into this book very quickly - I actually even took the Kindke into work so I could read it in my break time. The characters are fairly sold and their relationships with each other well developed. The story flows at a good pace. However, the biggest problem I had with this book is how rapidly things take a downward spiral. I'm trying not to spoil he plot but things go from good to worse in a heartbeat and this was the biggest let down as I think a gradual realisation would of been better. And it's just because of that that I have given it it's star rating. But overall I found this a satisfying read. Not sure I'll re-read it as I have recently done with Martina Coles The Lady Killer, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Tg Green Tea with Mandarin and Ginseng 330ml (Pack of 12)
Tg Green Tea with Mandarin and Ginseng 330ml (Pack of 12)
Offered by Superfooduk

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Refreshing Drink And Surprisingly Moreish!, 2 July 2015
As a tea blogger who is geared up to drink tea hot I was interested to try this iced green tea and Im so glad that I decided to. This is an ideal product as you get to experience a really fine green tea coupled with the refreshing element of coolness - perfect for summer months. The mandarin is my personal favourite as its really tangy and tasty and incredibly moorish. If you keep this in the fridge and take it really cold it's about as tasty and refreshing a drink as you can get. I thought that I wouldn't like this tea but I was proved wrong and it's far healthier than any iced teas available currently. I look forward to trying the other flavour shortly!

Ogden's Nut Gone Flake
Ogden's Nut Gone Flake
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars A Under Appreciated Masterpiece., 24 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Ogden's Nut Gone Flake (Audio CD)
I am a huge Beatles fan, I'll admit it. But I will also admit that due to their popularity, amount of output and following, there were a great many bands who are hugely under appreciated and whom, if the Beatles hadn't existed, would of perhaps become more well known. There are, in my opinion, two bands who were hugely under rated in the mid to late 1960 and whose songwriting was brilliant, one was the Bee Gees (who only really hit the big time in the 1970's) and the other being The Small Faces.

I am a huge fan of The Small Faces and stumbled on them in the mid 1990s via their more popular songs such as Itchycoo Park and Lazy Sunday. When I discovered this album I was instantly hooked. There is something really great about their cheeky chappy personality. They are capable (via Steve Marriott, and Ronnie Lane (who is my musical idol) ) of writing a song so emotionally beautiful such as Afterglow of My Love to comedy songs such as Lazy Sunday and Rene, which tells it's own, very clear story, when you listen to it.

I will be honest I don't fully understand the idea of a concept album, so the only way I can describe this album is a story set to music, rather like the Bee Gees epic Odessa and the Beatles Sgt Pepper.

This album holds up against anything else being produced at the time, and easily betters it. I fully believe that Marriott and Lane are two songwriters who are vastly under appreciated.

This album is a must have for Small Faces fan's. Perhaps not so much for the casual listener (there are plenty of brilliant Best of Albums out there).

Everytime I listen to this album I hear something new. It's etherial in places, funny in others and even rocky in parts. I never tire of this album.

I would highly reccommend this album it's fun and enjoyable. And very much of a time. And a time, that I wished I had been around to enjoy.

Moondial [DVD]
Moondial [DVD]
Dvd ~ Siri Neal

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUst For Your Collection., 12 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Moondial [DVD] (DVD)
One of the highlights of my childhood was settling down once a week to watch Moondial. A charming ghost story for children about Minty a girl who is temporarily living with a Auntie whilst her mother recovers from a near fatal car accident. Lonely she befriends two ghost children, both from different times, whom she can only see after using the Moondial. This is a fabulous children's drama, devoid of "issues" that tends to dominate most children's dramas nowadays.

Moondiala was previously available on Vhs. We'll my copy got chewed up long ago. It was available very briefly on DVD from Readers Digest but theses copies were selling for nearly £100! This DVD shows the film in its entirety, not edited unlike previous releases, And there are one or two bonus features.

I watched this with my 9 year old niece and she loved it! This is engaging and charming. Thank you so much for finally releasing this fab kids drama on DVD complete and unabridged.

House That Jack Built
House That Jack Built

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Sure ...., 16 May 2015
I read a few of Graham Mastertons books as a teen and when I purchased my Kindle recently downloaded Mirror which I loved.

Im not so sure on this book. In principal the story is good. I love a haunted house and the plot was good in that respect. Jack Belias - what a foul creature. But it was the two main characters, The Bellmans, I coudnt care for. Immediatey I felt no warmth for them and there lies the problem. Craig Bellman suffers a horrendous attack, which made my eyes water but yet I coudnt care less nor did I when he met his fate. His wife was a simpering, whiny woman who should of stood up to him.

So it was not the story that didnt appeal rather the character's. But I wont let this put me off- Im planning to read Famiy Portrait next!

This House is Haunted: The True Story of the Enfield Poltergeist
This House is Haunted: The True Story of the Enfield Poltergeist

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last I've Read It!, 16 May 2015
I have long had an interest in all things paranormal. This book is highly regarded by people who are interested in the subject. But for a long time it was out of print and what few copies were around where hideously expensive. I was delighted to find this on Kindle store. I read it over two nights just before the Timothy Spall drama aired.

The book is well written and a page turner. It is written in a simplistic, down to earth but engaging style, lacking any sensational writing that I found in books such as The Amityville Horror. Jargon isnt used ether.

I felt sorry for the family and all the things they endured as well as their neighbours, extended family and visitors to the house. It must of been horrific.

I thoroughy enjoyed this account of a very famous haunting. The wait to read this book was long but worth it!

Paranormal Intruder: The Terrifying True Story of a Family in Fear
Paranormal Intruder: The Terrifying True Story of a Family in Fear

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Account Of A Real Haunting., 16 May 2015
I love reading stories about real hauntings - even more so when its not too far from where I live! The downside is it's obviously written by amateur writers and at times the writing is a little clunky, but, that is also what makes this book interesting. You feel as though you are walking side by side with family through their traumatic haunting. This book is a real page turner. I enjoyed it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5