Profile for Miss L > Reviews

Sharon Tate: Recollection
Sharon Tate: Recollection
by Debra Tate
Price: 13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars A Much Wanted Gem About A Much Loved Sixties Icon., 2 July 2014
Sharon Tate: Recollection is the book that all Sharon Tate fans were waiting for. I, along with many others I've spoken to, were getting sick of books about Sharon relating to Charles Manson. This book allows Sharon to shine in her own way. It is packed full, from cover to cover, with wonderful photographs. Some seen, many unseen (well, at least to me, anyway!). Also, many famous people from George Harrison to Joan Collins are quoted throughout the book. There are private, family photos, as well as pictures from her movies. The book is made from wonderful quality paper and the print is crystal clear. A high quality book both in it's physical form and it's content. I'm so glad that Sharon's sister, Debra, decided to release this. There is also a foreward from Sharon's husband, Roman Polanski. A must for any Sharon Tate fan. It makes for a wonderful coffee table book.

Freedom From Emotional Eating(CD+DVD)
Freedom From Emotional Eating(CD+DVD)
by Paul McKenna
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This Has Really Helped, 29 Jan 2014
I have been on the Slimming World programme for a year now, and although I've lost a fair bit of weight, the one thing that was sabotaging my weight loss was my emotional over eating. I had got the Slimming World plan into my head, but the near constant desire to eat - and the near constant thinking about food - was slowing down my weight loss.

Within three days of listening to the trance cd (and reading the book as well), I have felt a change in how I look at food. My mind is clear from the constant thinking about food, and I have no desire to pick between meals, or, during the notoriously dangerous time for me, that hour when I get in from work and start to cook dinner. (During this time it wouldn't be unusual for me to eat half a loaf, because I was simply bored or stressed at work).

I do not have a sweet tooth, I prefer Greggs to Thorntons any day, and used to find it hard to walk past my local Greggs and not come away with something to eat, but the past few days, even with the enticing smells that come from the shop, well, it's not bothered me at all, I don't even think about what they sell or what I like to eat there.

I would highly reccomend this book (and the cd and DVD) to anyone who has emotional eating problems. At one point I felt very low and wanted to end it all because no matter how I tried, comfort eating always won the day. I felt this was my last chance, and I'm so glad I've tried it. I will use this every day for the rest of my life if that is what it takes to keep feeling this in control of my eating and my life.

Cooking For Two Weight Watchers Pro Points (Pro Points)
Cooking For Two Weight Watchers Pro Points (Pro Points)
by Nicola Graimes and Sue Ashworth

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Okay - That's All I Can Say, 5 Nov 2013
I brought this book because I had seen it in my WW meeting. The price was quite expensive and by the time I got around to buying it, it wasn't stocked in the meetings anymore. But, having a closer look I'm glad that I didnt' pay full price for it.

The recipes are nice, but, as is common with WW books, they require you to buy lots of ingredients that you don't normally have in your cupboard, and the quantities needed in the recipes is so little that you end up wasting some things that won't keep. The meals are quite exotic and fancy, and although they are nice, I was rather hoping that this book would adapt more average meals, just to a lower PP's amount.

It's not the worse WW book out there, but, it's not the best, either. For simpler cooking, I'd reccomend tracking down a "Cooking For One" and just altering the amount needed.

If you like to cook more complicated meals, this would be perfect for you.

Adult Sized Christmas Socks
Adult Sized Christmas Socks

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Item, 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: Adult Sized Christmas Socks (Toy)
Socks are well made, and a good size for an adult. I thought was getting the design in the picture but sadly was sent another design which is nice, but not as nice as the one pictured. I wish the seller, or Amazon would clairfiy which design you'll be getting. However, I'm sure my friend will like it as she likes anything with Christmas on!

The Good Life Santas Helpers Mug in Gift Tin
The Good Life Santas Helpers Mug in Gift Tin
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Little Christmas Gift, 23 Oct 2013
I ordered two mugs for friends as Christmas presents.

The cups are quite small in size, as is the tin, but they really are very, very lovely indeed. They are well made, the mugs are decorated brightly, and the tin is of a good size. (I think one friend will use the tin as a biscuit tin!). The pictures are cute, and they are well worth the money.

Will more then likely be ordered a few more to give out as gifts. They are charming beyond belief, and I would be more then happy if someone brought me one as a gift!

The Death of Innocence: The Untold Story of JonBenet's Murder and How Its Exploitation Compromised the Pursuit of Truth (Precious Moments Seasons of Faith)
by John Ramsey

4.0 out of 5 stars A Different Perspective, 23 Oct 2013
I have been interested in the case for many years now. I have tried (and failed) to read Perfect Murder, Perfect Town which was long, and very clinical. I have recently read Steve Thomas's book, so brought this to try and even out the balance and get things from the Ramsey perspective.

The book was well laid out and used a nice typeface. It included many family photographs of the Ramsey Family. It flowed nicely, and went from their family memories of Jonbenet to what was happening with the case at certain times. The book also includes a couple of appendix pages where they talk you through a brief timeline of what happened.

It's an emotional book and you can a real feel for the heartbreak they couple indured after their daughter was murdered and even though the book was written a good four years after her death, you can still sense that they were, at that point in time, still in shock.

To be honest, after reading a book by the parents and a book by the leading policeman on the case, it's a bit of he said, she said, but I'm glad I've finally managed to read this book. It's one I won't forget in a long time. It's a emotional rollercoster but well worth it. It's easy to read and I read it over a weekend when I was home alone.

Perfect Murder Perfect Town [DVD] [2003] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Perfect Murder Perfect Town [DVD] [2003] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Kris Kristofferson
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 37.95

4.0 out of 5 stars A Lot Better Then The Book It Orginated From, 9 Oct 2013
I enjoyed this movie, much more then the book that spawned it. The book, which is hundreds of pages long, and goes on and on just wasn't my thing, so when I saw this film advertised on True Movies, I was doubtful about it, but decided to give it a go. I enjoyed it, and therefore purchased it from Amazon.

The film is long, about three hours (from memory, but could be longer). The actual murder of Jonbenet is featured very early on and a majority of the film concentrates on the case, and the war that soon started between the detectives and the politicians in the town. If you are looking for an emotional, weepie type film that concentrates on the little girl, then this isn't the thing for you. It's a more clincial study of the investigation.

The film is well cast, and I love Marge Helgenberger anyway, and I thought her portrayal of Patsy Ramsey was very good. Ronny Cox was also well cast as John Ramsey. The directing is good, but the acting is a little hammy by some of the supporting cast.

One thing I would say is you need to keep your attention on the film, as the amount of characters that come and go can get confusing and you will end up thinking 'who are these?'. I tend to be quite fidgety when watching television, I need to sew or do jigsaw puzzles, so watching this means I have to just sit and watch. It's fast paced and has lots of characters in it, so you need to keep your attention on it.

It's worth a look, but if you have (in the UK) access to True Movies then I'd wait and watch it there first to see if it's your thing, as I've noticed that since I've brought it the price has gone up.

Death In Small Doses [1995] [DVD]
Death In Small Doses [1995] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Thomas
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA
Price: 1.52

3.0 out of 5 stars Not The Best True Movie Out There, 9 Oct 2013
This is an okay film, but not the best film out there.

I find it hard seeing Richard Thomas play baddies, after his Walton's appearance was so wholesome!

The story is good, but the acting is a little over the top. I am assuming this is one of the mass produced True Movies which was made in the early 1990's. I'm glad to say the quality of them has gone up since then. It's not a unenjoyable watch, but it just lacks that bit of spark that keeps me interested.

Perfect Murder, Perfect Town
Perfect Murder, Perfect Town
by Lawrence Schiller
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 4.74

1.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Murder, Perfect Town; A Tedious Tome., 9 Oct 2013
I didn't purchase this on Amazon, I found it in my local BHF Charity Shop. I was really disappointed.

The book is REALLY long, and contains too much information, even little pieces that are barely related to the case.

I've had to restart this book for the beginning and again, failed to reach page 300. He confuses people, and things, so I've had to go back and re-read passages to get the gist of what he is saying.

It's annoying as I'd like to learn all I can on the case, but this book is too involved and intricate in detail and makes it, to me anyway, unreadable.

Steve Thomas's book is better.

DMC Cross Stitch Kit The Snowmans Hat
DMC Cross Stitch Kit The Snowmans Hat
Offered by Stitcher
Price: 21.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 9 Oct 2013
A lovely little cross stitch kit that I hope to complete before Christmas. Quality of the fabric, silks and pattern is really good. Exactly what you expect from DMC. You pay a bit more for their kits but it's well worth it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3