Profile for Biffo1963 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Ballad Of Sally Rose
The Ballad Of Sally Rose
Price: 7.88

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a great shame this wasn't a commercial success - the songs ..., 2 Aug 2014
It's a great shame this wasn't a commercial success - the songs and the melodies are first rate, and Emmylou's voice is in peerless form after sounding rather cracked on some of the preceding albums. One little pointer for other purchasers - this was a very early digital recording and the sound levels on the CD are surprisingly low - you'll need to crank the volume up several notches from your usual level, especially if you play it in your car. Hopefully one day it will be remastered and that (very minor) issue addressed.

What Have We Become
What Have We Become
Price: 4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Songs, However......., 22 May 2014
This review is from: What Have We Become (Audio CD)
The songs are just as pointed and witty as it was when they were together in The Beautiful South, and both Paul and Jacqui are in great voice - you'd think the last ten years hadn't passed at all. So why only three stars ?? Production, production and production ! The album oscillates between genuine hi-fi and the sort of wall of amorphous sound that characterises Arcade Fire's earlier albums. Love the singing and the interplay, but find myself wishing the band would do one - frequently. Maybe they'll grow on me after a few more listens....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2014 8:55 PM BST

Military Watches Magazine Collection Issue #7 1960's Australian Naval Divers Watch
Offered by Jean Junction
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Caveat Emptor !!, 21 April 2014
A rather nice little watch for the money, who cares if the battery runs out in a couple of years. Well worth buying !

HOWEVER - please be aware that when Issue 1 was in the shops it ONLY COST 3.99 !!!!! So that's a mark-up of 400 % + !!!!

GM Cricket Box Brief With Pouch Xx-Large
GM Cricket Box Brief With Pouch Xx-Large
Price: 4.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful with the Sizes !, 23 Feb 2014
Nice and comfortable, but a tad on the large side even though I bought the correct waist size according to G&M's own size charts. If I had to put a box in the pouch I think it would move around a bit too much. However that's not what I bought them for and they do seem to hold my bollocks reasonably still, so no biggie.

Reflektor
Reflektor
Price: 7.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Listen a few times - you'll love it !, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Reflektor (Audio CD)
I've only had this album for a few days but I'm starting to really like it even thought I was worried that I might not. An added bonus is that ( at least to my ears ) it's not as religiously lo-fi as the first three albums. Lots of nice songs, and James Murphy's input certainly adds something to the whole.

However, one think stops me giving this five stars, and that's the decision to split it into two 35-minute CDs rather than simply amputating five minutes of pointless electronic onanism from the end of "Supersymmetry." If I wanted to get up and change discs halfway through an album I'd buy vinyl ! Perhaps Win and Regine are getting a little too far up themselves ? I can't help thinking this was done for "art" rather than for musical reasons. Oh, and the sleeve is rubbish - like a vinyl double album ( Ummagumma ? ) but with no protective sleeves to keep the discs in. Still, it doesn't detract from the music !

Zanussi ZGG62414XA Gas Hob Built In Stainless Steel
Zanussi ZGG62414XA Gas Hob Built In Stainless Steel

2.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money - but a tad dangerous !!, 10 Jan 2014
Bought this hob as an urgent replacement for a four-year old Zanussi hob which had just been condemned ( and disconnected ) by British Gas !!!

It did what I most needed, i.e. it fitted in the same hole as our previous hob. In some ways it's better than the one it replaced, because it has the safety cut-out feature whereby the gas is cut off if the flame goes out for any reason. The same feature also makes it impossible to turn the gas on without lighting it, there is no way you'll be able to walk away from this one and return to a kitchen-full of gas. It also lights reliably and is fairly easy to keep clean.

HOWEVER - a few nights ago my wife burnt herself when she tried to move a pan of boiling water in order to put some food into it and the pan tipped up and scalded her. Why did this happen ? Because the pan stands only support the pan properly if it is dead central above the rings !! If the pan is off-centre it can and will tip over !!! Now thankfully she wasn't badly burned, she needs to wear a dressing for a week or two but the burn is fairly superficial because she reacted very quickly and doused herself with cold water - but this still should not have happened.

Fortunately I had retained the pan stands from the previous hob and they fit this one, so I've managed to shut the stable door now. But for anyone thinking of buying this just beware of the BAD, BAD design. If you move a pan, take it off the hob completely. Sorry Zanussi, but NOT good !!

Hi-Tec Sports Men's Squash Classic Court Trainer
Hi-Tec Sports Men's Squash Classic Court Trainer
Price: 19.20 - 35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin !, 10 Jan 2014
I bought these because I play table tennis in a purpose-built centre with an expensive wooden floor and I don't want to mark it. Thus far I've found the shoes very comfortable and extremely grippy; they are also reasonably light which suits a fast-moving game very well. I'd recommend buying a half-size larger than your normal fit like I did, especially if you wear thick(er) socks when playing sports; the shoes are narrower than, for example, running shoes. I also recommend taking the laces out and re-threading them in a sensible pattern, the cross-thread pattern that Hi-Tec use makes it difficult to get the shoe open far enough to insert your foot - however it's a five-minute job to put that right.

I'll update this review if I have any wear-and-tear problems down the line, I'm not expecting any though.

Night Visions
Night Visions
Price: 4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great music, shame about the recording, 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: Night Visions (Audio CD)
I absolutely love the songs , especially the variety. These guys are good ! However, for their next album I suggest they use a different producer and engineers. There is no bass to speak of on many of the tracks - Ben McKee might as well not have bothered turning up - and although the vocals are mostly crystal-clear there is dreadful clipping and distortion on the instrumentation on the "heavier" tracks. The drums suffer particularly badly on some tracks. Whoever put this together still has his/her head firmly stuck in the "loudness wars" era. Hence only three stars; great band, great songs, but sounds like it was recorded in a public convenience on a 4-track cassette recorder.

Targus XL Laptop Backpack - Black/Blue
Targus XL Laptop Backpack - Black/Blue
Price: 42.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bag for big laptops, 29 April 2013
An excellent bag if you have a large laptop - it takes my Dell Inspiron 17.3" with some ease, not to mention all the other clart I like to carry around with it. HAs lots of pockets and is fairly well-padded too - you are very unlikely to be disappointed if you buy one of these. DON'T buy it from this lot though, they won't ship it even if it's in stock and then they'll ignore you when you ask why shipment has been delayed. I had to cancel my order and buy mine from Staples in the end, only cost me an extra 20 :( Beware - complete and utter onanists at work !!

Sennheiser HD 598 High-End Open Over-Ear Circumaural Headphones
Sennheiser HD 598 High-End Open Over-Ear Circumaural Headphones
Price: 149.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A work in progress, 3 Jan 2013
I have had these 'phones for about five weeks now - I'm not sure if I have run them enough to burn them in yet so this review may be subject to change !!

I bought these to listen to my home hi-fi system. For those that care about such things, I have a Cambridge D500Se CD player and a Creek OBH21 headphone amp - my main amp doesn't matter because it doesn't drive the headphones. The HD598s replace my ten-year-old Sennheiser HD565s which were beginning to disintegrate !

The HD598s certainly look a quality piece of kit, more so than their predecessors which were a little plasticky at first glance. They are extremely comfortable, but I think my ( huge !! ) ears are at the limit of what will fit comfortably inside the earpieces - so if you've got lugholes like Legolas you may want to look elsewhere. The cable is a decent length. I don't like the adapter for smaller jack plugs like on your laptop or MP3 - the 565s had a 6.5mm jack which pulled off to reveal the 3.5mm jack, that was a much better system - but it works if you need to use it. For me these phones aren't sensitive enough to be driven by an MP3 or a mobile phone but that's NOT what I bought them for so what the hell.

Sound !! As I say I'm not convinced they're burnt in yet so I'm not going to get hugely into this yet. I'll confine myself to saying that these provide much better bass than the 565s ever did, without going to silly lengths like the Beats headphones. The best compliment I can pay is that they make the bass sound like an instrument but not an event in its own right ! Good recordings , e.g. most Dire Straits albums, Norah Jones's 'Not Too Late' already sound absolutely stunning, so I'm really looking forward to the analytical powers of the 598s kicking in. On the other hand The Killers 'Battle Born' brings out Brandon Flowers's voice beautifully but the instrumentation sounds like an electronic mush and the drummer appears to be using hammers rather than drumsticks. As others have said, these headphones don't make bad recordings sound good !

More to come after I run them in more !

******************* UPDATE 10/09/2013 ******************

OK, OK, I got back here in the end ! Well they are certainly well run-in now - so they should be after 10 months - and I can honestly say they are fantastic / wonderful / the dog's cojones / insert your own superlative here. Wearing these it is even possible to make sense of the more esoteric parts of Radiohead's output, and I can think of no higher praise than that. I like detail in my music, and these provide it in spades.

P.S. If you want a recording that shows headphones in their best light, you could do lot worse than the recent remaster/re-issue of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours." Just saying......

Page: 1 | 2