Profile for Kittykat > Reviews

Content by Kittykat

Kittykat (Devon, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
We Need To Talk About Kevin (Five Star Paperback)
We Need To Talk About Kevin (Five Star Paperback)
by Lionel Shriver

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a happy go lucky, summer holiday reading!!!, 2 Sep 2006
I really liked the fact that this book was written from the mother's perspective and she was so brutally honest. Even though, in the end you feel she is a weak and selfish person and you do not really feel sorry for her. It does have a slight extravagance in it, and maybe over exaggerated in places, which gives it a television feel. It is a struggle in places, but beautiful in others and worth a read.

Warning for females- Choose the time of the month very carefully when reading this as it is an emotional rollercoaster.

The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets
The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets
by Eva Rice
Price: 7.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good..., 2 Sep 2006
I was not expecting to really enjoy this book. I am to the heart an absolute tomboy, and pink pages where a little of putting. This book is beautifully nostalgic, and took you very easily back to the 1950's. But it did not feel old fashioned in anyway, all the emotions of the characters where very 21st century. This book is absorbing and absolutely full of charm.

The only very slight negative is the fanciful imagery, beautiful dresses, glitz and glam. I believe this was all part of the books charm though and I reckon any female who reads this will be dragged into Penelope's world and will thoroughly enjoy the experience and cups of tea at Aunt Clare's.

The Island
The Island
by Victoria Hislop
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Got to be read......., 2 Sep 2006
This review is from: The Island (Paperback)
This book was completely spellbinding, gave me a fascinating historical insight on how a leper colony would have survived, and how the community evolved. The book covered several generations of a family and I felt I had known everyone one of them forever. It is a poignant story which I couldn't put down and didn't want to end. Absolutely fantastic.

Watership Down (Puffin Books)
Watership Down (Puffin Books)
by Richard Adams

4.0 out of 5 stars You have got to..., 11 Aug 2006
It is a classic, beautifully written, and at some point everybody has to read this book, whether they like rabbits or not.

Hide & Seek
Hide & Seek
by Clare Sambrook
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly sympathetic, 11 Aug 2006
This review is from: Hide & Seek (Paperback)
This book was a good read and gave you so many different aspects on how a family would cope with the situation. The way it was focused on the childs view was intense and clever, my only slight complaint was the ending but I am unsure why, I just felt dissatisified.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2012 2:49 PM GMT

Being Dead
Being Dead
by Jim Crace

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 4 Jun 2006
This review is from: Being Dead (Paperback)
This book was distrubing, harrowing and bewildering, but I could not put it down, finished it two days. A fascinating angle on life and death just don't expect it to be a pleasant ride.

Hotel Babylon
Hotel Babylon
by Imogen Edwards-Jones
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars So Funny...., 9 May 2006
This review is from: Hotel Babylon (Paperback)
This is a hilarious book, and although I think the stories may have been slightly exaggerated, I do feel they weren't to far out having been a waitress once upon a time. It is silly, doesn't tug at your heartstrings and no valuable lessons to learn, but it was wonderful because it had me in stitches.

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian
A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian
by Marina Lewycka
Price: 11.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little read..., 9 May 2006
I loved this book, the characters I found delightful. It was a lovely little read, light hearted with a serious side. It made my laugh and I think would be perfect for a holiday read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6