Profile for Dave > Reviews

Real Ales for the Home Brewer
Real Ales for the Home Brewer
by Marc Ollosson

5.0 out of 5 stars Got Wheeler? Get Ollosson!, 29 Jun 2010
If you've learned and loved to brew with your Graham Wheeler in hand and would like a similar resource of diverse ale recipes written with the same verve and empathy, look no further. Very useful too, as a basis for creating simple golden summer ales with balance to temper the crazed hophead in you!

Radical Brewing: Tales and World-Altering Meditations in a Glass
Radical Brewing: Tales and World-Altering Meditations in a Glass
by Randy Mosher
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational reading for brewers and enthusiasts alike, 29 Jun 2010
I bloomin' love Mosher I do, and have bought this book for myself and friends. Although there are recipes here, and some very good ones, the real strength in this book is the quality and diversity of the writing and brewing topics covered. Everything from the history of rare brew types to specific adjunct ingredients is covered with enthusiasm and humour.

You don't need to dabble in brewing to love this book - it's a great read anyway, unlike many more instructional brewing guides - but it helps. Like to make pirate brew? Want to know how lambic beer works? Want to know how to use molasses or coriander in your ale? Or do you just want to see Randy with a massive beer mug? It's all here.

Brew Your Own British Real Ale (Camra)
Brew Your Own British Real Ale (Camra)
by Graham Wheeler

5.0 out of 5 stars You need this book, 29 Jun 2010
Graham's latest edition is an indispensable addition to the sheds, garages and cupboards of homebrewers and craftbrewers around the world.

Some great recipes to follow or adapt. You need Wheeler.

Sennheiser CX 300-II Precision Noise-Isolating Ear-Canal Phones - Black (Eco Packaging)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality tunes for a really good price, 29 Jun 2010
If you've deliberated long and hard over which 'phones to buy at this sort of price point, save yourself any more time and just snap these beauties up. I've been cycling and sleeping in these things every day and night for six months without any problems more serious than the odd tangle. Strong, bright plugs that I will buy again should these ever break (I normally kill headphones in far less time!)

Lox 4 Digit Combination Lock 185cm x 15mm
Lox 4 Digit Combination Lock 185cm x 15mm
Offered by bikes4life limited
Price: 13.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value combi lock, 29 Jun 2010
If you're looking for a good value, robust lock with a combination rather than another key to lose, but are realistic enough to realise that pretty much any lock can be smashed up with pair of bolt-cutters, this Lox will do you just fine. I find it handy to keep locked to my car bike rack so I can slip it round bikes when popping into shops, pubs etc... Good price.

Cassell's Tales of Endurance
Cassell's Tales of Endurance
by Fergus Fleming

5.0 out of 5 stars Much-loved and dog-eared, 2 Oct 2009
I received this paperback from my in-laws for Christmas last year, and I'm writing this review because I am scanning Fleming's other works for this year's Christmas list!

I think the negative review on this page, while perhaps having a point about the use of maps, is a shame. I found the whole book gripping, especially the multiple chapters revisiting the search for the North Passage and the pole, not to mention Shackleton's adventures.

I started this book on boxing day and spent the last days of my Christmas holiday finishing it. I've gone back to it again and again throughout the year and have thoroughly enjoyed owning it.

Buy it for your son-in-law or Dad for Christmas - he'll love it.