Profile for JAYLF001 > Reviews

JAYLF001 "jaylf001" (UK)

Live In London 2012
Live In London 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Live! How he's supposed to be!, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Live In London 2012 (Audio CD)
If you like Newton, this is a must. Most of his studio albums are great, but this is how he's supposed to sound. Live, acoustic (well almost) and brilliantly funny and talented.

Samsung BD-F5500 3D Network Blu-ray and DVD Player  (discontinued by manufacturer)
Samsung BD-F5500 3D Network Blu-ray and DVD Player (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by eurosale-net
Price: 89.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!, 15 Nov 2013
Having recently acquired a new Panasonic 3D TV, I thought it was about time I upgraded my standard 2D Blu ray player. I had temporarily been using our PS3 to test out the new TV's 3D capabilities, the games console itself usually resides in another room where the kids can play and leave us in peace, and was extremely impressed by the effect and picture quality. So, having read the reviews for many a 3D player I chanced my arm and invested in a this little machine.

Big mistake! I don't know if mine was a faulty unit, but the 3D is awful. The PS3 managed smooth 3D rendering and was a delight. This machine was unwatchable in 3D. Every change of shot produced a millisecond grey screen wipe whilst wearing the passive 3D glasses, and after a few minutes, it gave me a headache. I changed HDMI cables and even HDMI slots and still the same result. (The PS3 had produced a beautiful smooth and crisp 3D picture using the same cables and slots). The normal 2D upscaling of my existing DVD's was also poor. The picture was grainy in comparison to my other Blu ray player ( a Sony). I was never interested in the online app content of this machine, as my TV has the same sort of content, and I just wanted a good disc player with good 3D capability. This, in my opinion, has not. I could not recommend it at all! It has been swiftly returned for a refund.

Morecambe & Wise - Series 7 [DVD]
Morecambe & Wise - Series 7 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eric Morecambe
Price: 9.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 1 Jun 2010
What's to say? An absolute must for M&W fans. Some of this material hasn't been seen on our screens for over 35 years, and whilst times and tastes may have moved on, there is still room for these absolute masters of the double act. Buy and enjoy!

Hand Built By Robots
Hand Built By Robots
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete Brilliance, 4 Aug 2007
This review is from: Hand Built By Robots (Audio CD)
Having merely happened upon this guys music by chance a few months ago, and then found his my space pages etc, I have been blown away by his talent. The voice, the song writing and the almost supernatural ability with a guitar (take a look at some of the live videos on his web pages and myspace pages)is breathtaking. I'm not saying he's the best in the world, but he his categorically up there with the best of them. And he's only in his early 20's! His first 2 EPs were special. So much so that they have hardly been out of my CD/Mp3 player since I bought them. I have eagerly been awaiting the release of this new album and it does not dissapoint. It's got more studio production on it than the previous Eps, i.e drums, other voices, guitars, keyboards etc, something that I thought I would have a problem with this, (as I realy enjoy the pure acoustic feel of his early releases.) but I didn't. There is something inherently beautiful about these songs that no matter if they are played solely acoustically or are studio enhanced the pure talent that Mr Faulkner undoubtedly has shines through. He has been compared with various people,Jack Johnson et al. , but I believe he is a genuine one off talent that I hope gets the opportunity to develop and mature. This album is complete brilliance. Buy it and smile!

Flushed Away  [DVD]
Flushed Away [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kate Winslet
Price: 3.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant...Don't be put off by some of the other reviewers, 18 July 2007
This review is from: Flushed Away [DVD] (DVD)
I don't understand why this film has got such a bad press. Sure, it suffers slightly from a mild Americanisation thanks to Dreamworks, and I suppose that everyone misses some of that clay animation charm, but the script is witty, fast paced with some of the best sight gags that we have come to expect from Aardman. And despite the Dreamworks influence remains staunchly British in feel and humour, which might explain why it bombed in the US. To my mind it is less Americanised than say Chicken Run which may sound odd as that film is set on a chicken farm in the North of England, but that film was a definite attempt to break the American market and consequently lost some of it's essential Britishness in its attempt (Mel Gibson as the American Hero anyone!). Flushed Away is a little gem of a movie that remains determinedly British in the face of the American purse strings, and that I believe is why the Aardman/Dreamworks partnership dissolved. Aardman would not be bullied into changing its winning formula, changing very British references and humour, just to make the moneymen happy (there are even some American rat tourists in the film, touring the streets of sewer London, that become the butt of one particular sight gag. Possibly an dig by Aardman?) My 4 year old adores this film and so do I. It's Fantastic.