Profile for AndyBSG > Reviews

Content by AndyBSG

AndyBSG "A. Graham" (Essex, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tacwise Electric 16G Finish Nail Gun
Tacwise Electric 16G Finish Nail Gun

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Much Perfect, 16 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This finally arrived at the weekend and have to say that out of all my DIY 'boys toys' this is already a firm favourite!

It comes in a very heavey duty black carry case which contains a pocket for the instruction manul, thought that was actually a neat idea as when they're just loose in the case they invariably go missing!

The whole thing is a lot heavier than I was expecting, certainly a bit more weight than your average battery drill, but it's all reassuringly solid and well made.

In terms of ease of use, it really was very simple. A flick of a catch and the whole loading mechanism slides back to allow you to very easily load it up with ammo, very reminiscent of a stapler. There is a narrow slit that runs the entire length of the mechanism so you can see how many nails are still loaded.

There is also a quick release catch to allow you to clear jammed nails but i've not had any jam on me yet so it seems this isn't a frequent occurrence.

In terms of actual use, there is a bit of kick back so it's worth having a couple of dry runs before using in anger to get use to it as i've found if you don't brace hard enough to compensate for the recoil it means the nails sometimes don't penetrate all the way and require a bit more tapping in with a hammer afterwards.

Not tried it on any seriously hard woods yet being limited mainly to ply woods and MDF so far but it's gone through all of these nice and easily.

Power cable could have done with being a bit longer so you'll probably need an extension lead 99% of the time but that's a minor grumble and overall i'm pretty impressed with the whole thing

Busy B A4 Recipe File - Blue
Busy B A4 Recipe File - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars So simple but so useful!, 2 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've got plenty of recipe books but they can be a pain to actually use in the kitchen with problems such as finding work surface to lay them flat on, spilling ingredients on them and just getting them to stay open on the correct page.

Although this doesn't help me with recipe books(although I have photocopied some of the recipes I use most often to put in here), it does help me with the myriad of recipes I tear out of magazines or pick up from the counters at supermarkets and almost makes me wish all my cook books were as well designed.

The folder stands upright when opened supplying a nice easel to read the recipe from with ease and each page has a loose clear plastic cover you can just pop the recipe into. The plastic covers are a little looser than I would have preferred but that's a minor grumble.

The conversion charts are also useful and save me having to look them up on my smartphone every time I need to convert measurements of American recipes I may have picked up

All in all, a very useful thing to have and a full 5 starts from me.

TP-LINK TL-PB10400 10,400 mAh Portable Power Bank External Battery Charger/Power Bar/Smartphone Charger with Built-in Flashlight

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, 26 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Have to say i'm quite pleased with this.

On receipt I opened it up and was initially surprised at the weight of it, the whole unit is heavier than I expected. That aside, everything about this oozes quality. The unit is very sturdy and well made of a solid high grade plastic and comes with an LED indicator you can check at any time to see how much charge is left in the pack. It also comes with an in built flashlight for some unfathomable purpose!

It has two mini USB output sockets for charging devices and one mini USB input for charging the pack itself and comes with a USB to Mini USB lead. The two output sockets have a slightly different power output to cater for older devices which is a useful touch.

Charge wise i've managed to recharge my LG G2 from around the 10-15% mark all the way back up to 100% on two occasions with the inidcator showing it still has over 50% charge left.

The only real negative I have is that it doesn't come with a mains plug adaptor to actually charge the unit so you'll either have to charge it from a computer USB port or get a separate adaptor but that's not a huge problem as i'm sure anyone with a smartphone will have plenty of these laying around.

Overall a very well made and useful device.

Vax P86-P2-P Pressure Washer
Vax P86-P2-P Pressure Washer

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Enough But Not Outstanding, 22 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've never owned a home pressure washer with all my experience of them coming from petrol forecourt ones used to clean my car so I had no idea how a home version should measure up in terms of power.

Overall I have to say i'm not actually sure if i'm impressed or underwhelmed.

First off the whole thing does feel a little cheap, the plastic casing is very low budget and in a few places it doesn't seem to fit together very well.

In use, it does the job I wanted it for which is to clean my car but when I tried to use it to clean the patio it did seem to be lacking without enough power to really blast away stubborn grime. Also, it would have been nice if it had a brush attachment rather than just 3 different spray attachments

Given that I clean my car once a month at £15 a pop this will have paid for itself within just over a year so for me it's value for money and does what I want it to but if I was looking to use this for cleaning patios or brickwork i'd probably be a little disappointed

Expecting a Baby? (One Born Every Minute)
Expecting a Baby? (One Born Every Minute)
by Dr. Penelope Law

3.0 out of 5 stars An Easy Read Without Too Much Detail, 13 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Me and my wife are only a short way into her pregnancy journey so as you can imagine there are a LOT of questions!

The wife is a notorious worrier so every twinge and cramp she suffers has her in a panic and it has been quite hard to deal with.

When I got this book she was at first against reading it thinking it would tell her more things that could go wrong and give her more to worry about. Eventually she came around and I have to say that just a few pages in the difference has been brilliant. Thanks to this book she now realises that those twinges and cramps are part of her body getting ready and that her bloated stomach so early on isn't because she has some freakishly giant sized baby but it's actually just fluid retention and bloating.

The book covers each of the first trimesters in brief without providing too much detail(being a bloke, I didn't even know what a trimester was!) and covers common topics such as older mothers, diet advice, etc. The early 'week by week' guide is also very useful as we can look at where we are and know some of what to expect and be aware of.

It's all delivered in a clear and understandable manner without throwing in medical terms you may not know but it does seem to lack on detail on a lot of the subjects.

The main drawback i've found so far is that although it has provided an explanation for what's causing it the book hasn't provided a solution to the terrible wind my wife is subjecting me to!

Overall, if you want something light to read that covers the basics without too much detail then this does the job but there are certainly better books out there on the subject matter.

All in all it's decent enough without being outstanding.

Rapesco Zero-01 Heavy Duty Full Length Personal Office Stapler, 50 Sheet Capacity - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Kind Of Ooh!, 31 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sometimes in life no matter what you do it seems there's a big black void in your life that can't be filled no matter what.

Spots cars, extreme sports, trophy girlfriends half your age all do little more than distract you from the vital missing ingredient.

Well, look no more because this Rapesco stapler is the solution to all your woes!

With a shiny chrome/silver finish and a reassuringly hefty weight this is a design masterpiece and I didn't know whether to use it or have it framed and mounted over my mantelpiece. It pounded through 15 sheet staple jobs with no more exertion than a haughty look of disdain at me as if challenging me to push it to the limit with a 20 sheet challenge. I am not ashamed to confess I was not man enough to take it up on the challenge.

The spring loaded dispenser that you load the staples into is such a feat of design and engineering that it bought tears of joy to my eyes.

If you only buy one more stapler in your lifetime this is the one to buy.

I happily admit that i'm so enamored of this metallic lump of perfection that I have taken to cuddling up with it in my bed at night

Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
by Tori Haschka

2.0 out of 5 stars Decidedly Unimpressed, 31 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Given the amount of 5 star reviews this book has it seems i'm bucking the trend when saying that I really wasn't impressed by it.

On the plus side the book is very well laid out and well made with fantastic full page photo's but that's where my praise ends.

The recipes in here are just not very good. Firstly, I have doubts that any of the recipes would qualify on the 'low carb' front for anyone who is following a real low carb diet. Yes, there's no pasta, rice or potatoes in here but there's still plenty of other high carb ingredients featured.

Secondly, the recipes just aren't that inspiring. They all seem to use some pretty obscure ingredients and after flicking through the entire book the only receipes that actually appealed to me were the dessert ones.

All in all, I can't see this doing anything other than gather dust next to my other recipe books

Plantronics BackBeat FIT Wireless Stereo Headphones with Armband for Smartphone - Green
Offered by RB Deals

3.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously Overpriced, 25 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having had these for a week now I have to say that i'm a little non plussed by the premium price of these.

The main reason I chose these is because they said they worked with Android while most wireless headphones I see are optimised for Apple products. Setting up and pairing these was very straightforward and they connect with my Android phone straight away 99% of the time(on rare occasions they don't automatically connect and I have to go into the bluetooth app on my phone and just tell it to connect to them)

The sound quality and design of the headphones is good without being spectacular, sound is crisp, bass levels are acceptable and they are comfortable to wear. My main criticism would be that they don't fit in the ear canal snuggly enough so you can hear a lot of other noise through them.

They're nice and simple to charge and i've used them for about an hourt each day and only had to charge them once during the one week period.

Overall, they do the job but you pay well over the odds for them and for anyone looking for a decent set of wireless headphones I would actually recommend the Sonixx X-Fit wireless headphones instead which are a fraction of the price and, in my opinion, have better sound quality

NOCO Genius Smart G1100UK Car Battery Charger
NOCO Genius Smart G1100UK Car Battery Charger

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Battery Charger, 1 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been after a battery charger for a while to keep the battery in my old boat charged and at such a low price I wasn't expecting much from this but have to say i've been quite impressed.

The device itself is functional and well thought out without being spectacular but that's exactly what was needed.

If I was using it to regularly charge a car battery i'd probably go for the upgraded model they do but as this is only used for topping up an occasionally used battery the speed of it isn't a major factor.

The charge indicators are very useful and show how charged the battery is and it switched to a trickle charge at 90% so doesn't waste electricity. Having both crocodile clips and an eyelet attachment is also a plus point and the tests it does on start up are also useful.

It does get quite warm while charging but not dangerously so and it does take a while to charge but if that's a problem then I assume the upgraded model is more what you're after. For occasional maintenance use this does the job perfectly

Philips HR1836/01 Viva Collection Compact Juicer, 1.5 Litre, 500 Watt - Brushed Aluminium

3.0 out of 5 stars OK But Way Overpriced For What It Is, 23 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been looking for a replacement juicer for a while after my Andrew James suffered an accident so when this one popped up I went for it.

Given that this one costs 3 times the price of my Andrew James one I was expecting something special but have to say that i've been decidedly underwhelmed... This is a clear case of paying for a brand name rather than paying for what you get.

Firstly, as this is a compact juicer you really can't make much juice without constantly emptying it. Like most juicers this one is a pain to clean despite it's claims of an 'easy clean design' and you really do need to put a bit of effort in to clean all the pulp. The drip stop spout doesn't really work and putting the blade in is a bit fiddlier than it needs to be.

This may all sound pretty negative but the juicer does do what it's meant to with a minimum amount of fuss and for a single person or occasional use it's fine. However, for the price there are much better options out there.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20