Profile for Maia Russell > Reviews

Walk Through The Dark
Walk Through The Dark
by Eva And Cecil Piper And Murphrey

3.0 out of 5 stars A Walk through the Dark., 10 Sep 2013
This review is from: Walk Through The Dark (Paperback)
I was rather disappointed in this book. Im sure I cant be the only person who was fooled into thinking that this was her Husbands account of his 90 minurtes in Heaven.
It was a tragic and ultimately triumphant story, but I feel it was not particularly well written.

The Unbearable Lightness Of Scones (44 Scotland Street)
The Unbearable Lightness Of Scones (44 Scotland Street)
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of Audio book, "The Unbearable Lightness of Scones", 28 July 2013
The title of this book and Audiobook is obviously a whimsical take on the book "The Unbearable Lightnes of Being , by {I think } Cundera.
Sad to say, clever and funny as it is, I fear that Alexander McCall Smith is starting to become a "pot boiler".
Still, for all of his many thousands of fans, he can do no wrong.What I love best about the series is the very accurate depiction of Edinburgh life,-he captures. the middle class Edinburgh ethos so well.
A nice, light, amusing read, and relaxing to listen to.

Telling Some Tales
Telling Some Tales
by Anna Massey

4.0 out of 5 stars Auto Biog by Anna Massey, .actress., 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Telling Some Tales (Paperback)
I very much enjoyed this Autobiography by the late actress, Anna Massey.
What an interesting and colourful life she led, and what interesting pople she met.
A good read. Thank you!

All in One Basket: Nest Eggs by
All in One Basket: Nest Eggs by
by Deborah Devonshire

2.0 out of 5 stars All in one basket,nest Eggs,By Deborah, dowager duchess of devonshire., 27 Nov 2012
I was very disappointed in this book, as I had not realised that it was, in fact, two books by Deborah ,Duchess of Devonshire, which I had already read, namely, "Counting my Chickens," and "Home to Roost". It wasnt made clear on Amazon that this book was two books in one, books that had already been published separately.
So, having already read both of these books, I posted it to a friend in UK.
If Id known this, Id have saved my money to buy something else! Very disappointing.All in One Basket: Nest Eggs by

The World According to Bertie (44 Scotland Street)
The World According to Bertie (44 Scotland Street)

3.0 out of 5 stars The world according to Bertie, 13 Aug 2012
The World According To Bertie: 4: A 44 Scotland Street Novel (The 44 Scotland Street Series)
Im very fond of Sandy McCall Smith's "Scotland Street" series, which is set in my birthplace of Edinburgh.
Reading this series instantly transports me there. I can mentally cruise down every Street, Avenue, Circus, Crescent and Place in the Georgian New Town of Edinburgh. That said, however, there is a very thin line between popularity and "pot boiling". I think McCall Smith is in danger of crossing that line, but his huge popularity will win out, Im sure!
An enjoyable, relaxing read. Surely this is the cup of tea, soft cushion, lavender cologne, and comfiness of reading, better than a nerve tonic!His gentle, sly wit and "couthy"{a guid scots word,} wisdom is as usual, ever present.Couthy? It means wise, homely, down to earth, common sensical,working class, sensible.
Another gem,-Im sure he will keep em coming!

Dream Angus: The Celtic God of Dreams (Canongate Myths)
Dream Angus: The Celtic God of Dreams (Canongate Myths)

3.0 out of 5 stars Dream Angus, By Alex McCall Smith, 12 Aug 2012
Judging by the photo of Alec McCall Smith on the Dust jacket of this book, this is an earlier work than his acclaimed Scotland Street series. I didnt find it so rewarding, or as interesting. It is about the Celtic Mythological figure, "Dream Angus", who in legend, visits children and adults alike to give them the gift of lovely and imaginative dreams. A bit like the Sandman, with a Celtic twist. I think it may have beena good idea to start the work with the famous Lullaby about Dream Angus, but he didnt do this.
I found some of the stories to be dull, they did not, in my opinion, have McCall Smiths usual trademark quirkiness and charm . It wasnt a book which "grabbed me", in fact I found it difficult to finish it.Only my opinion, however, others may beg to differ.Dream Angus: The Celtic God of Dreams

The Man In The White Suit [DVD]
The Man In The White Suit [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alec Guinness

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of the DVD , "The Man in the White Suit, with Alec Guiness., 13 May 2012
A real blast from the past ,-this one!
I enjoyed seeing this movie again, Sir Alec Guiness is wonderful as the "mad" scientist who comes up with a fabric that never stains, never wears out, and never wrinkles.A good addition to my collection of Ealing comedies.{Reworked into DVDs]
Great fun!
Maia Russell.

Extraordinary Gardens of the World
Extraordinary Gardens of the World
by Monty Don

4.0 out of 5 stars A review of the book, "Extraordinary Gardens of the World, by Monty Don., 13 May 2012
As I already have the DVDs of the gardens shown in this book, I was thrilled ro receive it. Its a real "Coffee Table" book, large, expensive looking, and the inside doesnt disappoint! A lovely book to browse through, relaxing, beautiful photos,exquisite lay out. A book I can turn to time and time again. I LOVE everything by Monty Don!
Maia Russell.

Joyce Grenfell - The BBC Collection [DVD]
Joyce Grenfell - The BBC Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joyce Grenfell

3.0 out of 5 stars DVD of Joyce Grenfells Monologues., 12 Jan 2012
This DVD of Joyce Grenfells Monologues arrived safely, well packaged, and on time. I was a bit disappointed in the content, Id forgotten how dated this material can be. The first disc was better, but the second one was very short, time wise.I quite enjoyed it, but wont order a similar one again.

Collected Poems
Collected Poems
by Lynette Roberts

4.0 out of 5 stars Collected Poems by Lynette Roberts, 30 Dec 2010
This review is from: Collected Poems (Paperback)
This slim volume of Poems was well packed, and in good condition.I was a bit disappointed in the Poems, however this has nothing to do with the vendor! I found them ,for the most part, pretentious, unintelligable, derivative, and some were I thought "cribs" of Dylan Thomas' work,{except his work was fresh, original, and his own unmistakeable voice.}
Only one or two were to my mind, original and clear.
Only my opinion! In the damning words of a critic who I cant remember,--
"They seemed more profound, only because she wrote less well."
Maia.