Profile for R. Orriel > Reviews

Content by R. Orriel

R. Orriel "rich" (midlands)

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Classics Edition (Xbox 360)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Classics Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by AllGoodDealz

3.0 out of 5 stars Levelling System..., 15 Jan 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Some brilliant gameplay and missions, but ruined by an awful levelling system where the world and items level around you. This affects the send of immersion. Unfortunately its a step back from the brilliant Morrowind.

The Third Man: Life at the Heart of New Labour
The Third Man: Life at the Heart of New Labour
by Peter Mandelson
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars A conservative review, 20 Aug 2010
I decided that I wanted to read an account of the New Labour years following the recent change in Government. After some debate, I decided to go for this book over the various other main contenders for a few reasons. Firstly, I didn't have the patience to wait for Blairs, secondly, I simply couldn't believe I would get any sort of frank account from one of the Alistair Campbell ones. Finally, I just had a gut feeling that this would be particularly honest and open in terms of the Blair/Brown relationship as I didn't see what motive Mr Mandelson would have for holding back, something not the case with the other authors I mentioned.
What a good decision this turned out to be. The account is very open, astonishingly so in places, and makes for an entertaining read, or should I say listen, as I actually had the audio CD version, which was if anything enhanced by Mandelson doing the reading.
As with any book, people need to read this and make up their own mind, but what really struck me about this was the sense that New Labour really never achieved what it promised due to the relationship between Blair/Brown, and I did sense genuine regret from Mandelson on this. Tony Blair actually comes across pretty well, but Gordon Brown comes across very poorly (if we are to believe this account and many others that support it). Mandelson provides strong evidence that for the first few years of power Mr Brown convinced himself he had been cheated out of the top job, which led to constant attempts to outmaneuver and undermine Blair, to the extent that it really did affect the success of New Labour. If there is one resounding conclusion you can draw from this, its that Blair should have had the decisiveness to address this issue firmly early on, but once this was left to ferment, it simply got worse and harder to deal with, which unfortunately it never was.
In summary, a frank account, which if you can look past a touch too much self justification, is a surprisingly honest and entertaining read, made even better if you go for the audio book route.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2011 1:30 PM BST