Profile for Mr. Gavin Mathers > Reviews

Content by Mr. Gavin Mathers

Mr. Gavin Mathers "bigbadgav" (Scotland)

The Mighty Boosh Live - Future Sailors Tour Special Edition [DVD]
The Mighty Boosh Live - Future Sailors Tour Special Edition [DVD]

1.0 out of 5 stars Probably the worst thing ever, 17 Nov. 2009
I used to love the Mighty Boosh, especially the first 2 seasons. This however, assuming its the same show I went to see live, is absolutely terrible. We left about 10 minutes into the 2nd half it really was that bad. There was no cohesion or story and the songs were embarrassingly bad. Each character was introduced without any link to the last one. It was a while ago now but I'm pretty sure the Hitcher's sketch was about 20 minutes of him running around the audience blethering his catchphrases at random. Having said all this there was plenty of people laughing around me so if you like the more recent Mighty Boosh stuff (randomness for the sake of randomness) then you might enjoy it. If you're looking for intelligent humour steer well clear.

Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD]
Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD]
Dvd ~ Frankie Boyle
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty disappointing, 11 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
As has already been said by other reviewers, a large amount of the material on the dvd has been used on Mock the Week and various other programs. Still funny but not as good or original as I had been hoping.

Scouting For Girls
Scouting For Girls
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, 14 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Scouting For Girls (Audio CD)
Everything thats wrong with indie pop all rolled into one package. Yes the songs might be 'catchy' on first listen but once you hear it for the 2nd time you feel like amputating your leg with a rusty spoon. Simplistic lyrics, idiotic music. If I was 12 and a girl I might have given this 2 stars, but for anyone over that age I would give it 0.

My Secret is my Silence
My Secret is my Silence

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 12 Feb. 2008
This review is from: My Secret is my Silence (Audio CD)
If you like Idlewild you'll love this, if you don't like Idlewild you probably will too! (And you should really give Idlewild another chance). It balances folk instrumentation with pop sensibility and beautiful harmonies. There's only 2 or 3 tracks that I wouldn't rate 10/10. One of my all time favorite albums.

Chase This Light
Chase This Light
Offered by westworld-

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor by their own standards, 12 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Chase This Light (Audio CD)
If, like me, you've been waiting for Jimmy to re-discover the formula that led to the 10/10 Bleed American, you will be pretty disappointed. Its all just a bit boring and middle-of-the road. Nothing nice and heavy- nothing touching and emotional. I've listened to it 4 or 5 times now and can barely remember what any of the songs sound like. I think that would sum it up for me - forgettable.

All Killer, No Filler
All Killer, No Filler
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for what it is, 15 Dec. 2007
This review is from: All Killer, No Filler (Audio CD)
All the folk who are discounting this album for boring pop-punk.... that is what it is! The band aren't trying to pretend its not! For me this album reminds me of good times with my mates years ago, when I was about 14 this was the kinda stuff I was into and it was a great album for what it is. 'Easy listenening' punk... Definitely a good purchase.

Jimmy Eat World
Jimmy Eat World
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't own this, get it now., 21 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Jimmy Eat World (Audio CD)
I've had this album for about 3 years now, and not one week has gone by without listening to it at least once. Fantastic pop rock, I defy anyone to listen to this and not love it. I usually go for much heavier stuff than this like Queens of The Stone Age but once you've heard it theres nothing you can do to stop it taking hold of you! Standout tracks for me have to be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11. Its that good.