Profile for Kathryn A. Gillespie > Reviews

Content by Kathryn A. Gil...

Kathryn A. Gillespie (Frankfurt Germany)

Class/Rules
Class/Rules
by Jane Beaton

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved Malory Towers as a child? You will love these books, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: Class/Rules (Paperback)
As soon as I turned the first page I knew where the inspiration for these books came from. I loved all of Enid Blyton's boarding school series as a child and now here is a version for grown ups!
The characters were so vibrant and believable in both books, so much so that I could sometimes hear their different accents (and picture who would play them in the film version)! I started reading these books as I had a bit of time on my hands and devoured them both in a couple of days. The only slight criticism I have is that a lot more could have been made of Clare the French teacher. She often appears as a sideline character but there is a lot of comic potential for her character. Other than that I really loved these books, they were funny and insightful and left me wanting more. When are the next 4 coming? Hopefully they will be available on Kindle too.

Sorting Out Billy
Sorting Out Billy
by Jo Brand

5.0 out of 5 stars Very amusing book, 17 Mar 2011
This review is from: Sorting Out Billy (Paperback)
When I had finished this book the only thought that was in my head was that this should be made into a film. I could almost cast actors for the different characters so vivid were my impressions. I loved this book and did laugh out loud frequently. I agree with other reviews that say that this book is written in typical Jo Brand style but I think you would still find this book funny even if you are not a big Jo Brand fan.
Some reviews have stated that the plot is thin on the ground but I think that the whole point of the book is that it is about a group of people set over a short period of time and that IS the plot.

The Little Friend
The Little Friend
by Donna Tartt

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Sep 2007
This review is from: The Little Friend (Paperback)
I enjoyed The Secret History by Donna Tartt a great deal. In fact it is one of the best books that I have read in a long time. Therefore I may have been expecting too much from The Little Friend. I feel like I wasted my time on this book. The plot was in turn obscure or non-existent. This book did not provide a satisfactory conclusion for me. The ending was extremely weak. I would not really recommend this book as there are better books in the world that are much shorter and with a better plot.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 4, 2009 1:58 AM GMT

Sparkles
Sparkles
by Louise Bagshawe

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but too much name dropping, 18 Sep 2007
This review is from: Sparkles (Paperback)
Generally I found this book to be very entertaining. The plot is not too easy to predict and the characters work well together.
My only complaint is the frequent mention of brand name products. This became a little wearing by the end of the book.
Apart from that I can highly reccmmend Sparkles to fiction readers.