Profile for kevarms > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Last Panther - Slaughter of the Reich - The Halbe Kessel 1945
The Last Panther - Slaughter of the Reich - The Halbe Kessel 1945

4.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, 15 July 2015
As other reviewers have suggested, some parts of this account of what must have been a horrific ordeal do some seem rather far fetched. A riveting read nonetheless. I finished it in a couple of hours.

TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, 18 Jun. 2014
I mistakenly bought this thinking it was wi-fi (my mistake) as I needed to reach a back bedroom from the router in the living room. Not to worry as I had a spare socket beside the router and another beside the computer that these adapters plugged into. One is connected via LAN cable to the router and the other to the computer.

The Boys from Baghdad: From the Foreign Legion to the Killing Fields of Iraq
The Boys from Baghdad: From the Foreign Legion to the Killing Fields of Iraq
by Simon Low

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly written, 19 Jan. 2008
A not particularly interesting account of life as a mercenary (oh yes you are!) in Iraq. Worse, the book is disjointed and, at an estimated cliche or weak joke every other sentence, soon becomes irritating to read. It seems like somebody's letters to their army mates.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2008 1:40 PM BST

Wild Blue: 741 Squadron - On a Wing and a Prayer over Occupied Europe
Wild Blue: 741 Squadron - On a Wing and a Prayer over Occupied Europe
by Stephen E. Ambrose

4.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up from me, 28 Sept. 2007
Mixed reviews here but I enjoyed this book. Having read a few of Ambrose's other books I found this just as accessible and engaging. It was also interesting to read more about the all but forgotten war in Italy.

Dusty Warriors: Modern Soldiers at War
Dusty Warriors: Modern Soldiers at War
by Richard Holmes

5.0 out of 5 stars It's that bloke off the telly, 28 Sept. 2007
Good read! I had expected this to be heavy going but the author does a great job interspersing his own narrative with quotes from the guys who were there. It is hectic. All I can say is I'm glad I'm not there (I was in Gulf War I) but I'm happy to see the British army...despite the best efforts of our politicians and bureaucrats.. is still the best and most professional army in the world, bar none.

Occupational Hazards: My Time Governing in Iraq
Occupational Hazards: My Time Governing in Iraq
by Rory Stewart

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best book about Iraq, 28 Sept. 2007
I was not enjoying this book very much and, unusually for me, did not even finish it. Far from being an easy read, to me it seemed disjointed and confusing. What could have been an interesting anecdote too often ended abruptly with no clear explanation of why an event was relevant. I've read a few books about governing post-invasion Iraq and this isn't one of the better ones.

Air Mail: Letters From The World's Most Troublesome Passenger
Air Mail: Letters From The World's Most Troublesome Passenger
by Terry Ravenscroft

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 29 Jun. 2007
I was very disappointed the humour in this book is quite dated and vaguely racist in places. June Whitfield thought it was hilarious. If you think Terry and June is still funny then you might like this book too.

Cycling Manager 2 (PC)
Cycling Manager 2 (PC)
Offered by gameworld121

1.0 out of 5 stars More shoddy work from Cyanide, 20 Jan. 2007
I've played a few of Cyanide's titles over the years. I keep buying them, forgetting that all their games have been a nightmare just to get working and when I finally do it was hardly worth the effort. Cycling Manager 2 is no exception and I'm kicking myself for blowing good money on it. Cyanide seem to have spent more time on the funky jazz music than they did on having a logical interface or a manual that explains what the heck is going on. I have wasted 2 weekends on this garbage trying to figure out, during which time when the game isn't crashing I'm just sitting there scratching my head. I normally sell my old games on here, but this one is going in the bin. Might keep the CDs for coasters. Cyanide sucks!

Company of Heroes - Incl. Dawn of War: Game of the Year Edition (PC DVD)
Company of Heroes - Incl. Dawn of War: Game of the Year Edition (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gaming is fun again, 14 Jan. 2007
I've been a computer gamer for over 20 years and have been disappointed with the latest releases for the PC, especially RTS games where it just seems the objective is to capture, build, kill. This one is special. I first saw it when my brother was playing it and thought it looked amazing. The graphics are jaw-dropping with fully destructible scenery (tanks can drive through walls, shells will bring down telegraph poles). I'm not sure there is a better game out there now graphics-wise.

Apart from looking spectacular the gameplay is great too. Single player missions have good variety. One mission could see me sneaking me through the flooded fields of Normandy picking off AA guns, another could be defending a town against a furious German counter-attack. None of your usual RTS nonsense of capturing objectives, building a massive horde of units and swamping the next objective. You actually have to think about what you are doing with the various unit types.

Be warned when buying this though. This game WILL NOT run on a low spec machine. I had to upgrade my computer to 1 Gb of RAM and even then load times are very long. Luckily though the graphics card is still good enough that the game runs smoothly and look great. Don't regret a bit having to upgrade. It was overdue and worth it just to play this. I'm already looking forward to the sequel.

IL-2 Sturmovik - Forgotten Battles (PC)
IL-2 Sturmovik - Forgotten Battles (PC)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

3.0 out of 5 stars Too difficult for me, 18 Nov. 2006
Used to love combat flight sims 'back in the day' and this one began quite enjoyably. Graphics are nice and controls fairly easy to get to grips with. After a few games though I just got frustrated at getting shot down all the time. I know it's my fault but even with setting to indestructible my plane kept going down for some reason. Pity, I might have played this a lot if it had been more accessible.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3