Profile for Duder > Reviews

Content by Duder

Duder "duder" (Midlands, UK)

Lenovo Yoga11s 11.6-inch Laptop (Silver) - Grey (Intel Core i3 3229Y 1.4GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, WLAN, BT, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)
Offered by Citadel_09

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - that's what everyone says when they see it!, 20 Jan 2014
Do you want the effect of turning up at a client's premises in a brand new Mercedes SLK 55 AMG Roadster - but without the 55,000 price tag? Then buy one of these Lenovo Ideapads! Such a sleek machine, with the feeling of a great build quality and so nice to touch! I've been a Windows user since day one - but for the past few years have been forced to use the iPad and iPhone for the simple things that you want/need to do on the move. Microsoft have been behind for quite a few years in terms of what you can do with a touchscreen / tablet / small device - but now they have catapulted themselves right back into the forefront with Windows v8.1. This laptop / tablet / presentation tool literally boots up in seconds - has the graphic display (with sliders, snippets of information and apps) to put the iPad to shame - plus I can run all of my 'old' Windows software on it - and I can just use the traditional 'Desktop' format if I want to. So, I can get real work done, not just playing around with iOS games and one-trick apps. Literally everyone who has seen it has said 'Wow' - is that a new Laptop? Oh no, it's a tablet? And you can stand it up for presentations as well. Are you getting the impression that I'm delighted with it?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2014 4:30 PM GMT

Brilliant Business Ideas - The Entrepreneur's Guide to Profitable Creativity
Brilliant Business Ideas - The Entrepreneur's Guide to Profitable Creativity
by Joseph Benn
Price: 15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have if you want business ideas, 6 April 2013
Being nearer 50 than 40 and having run businesses for 20 years I don't have much trouble generating business ideas, but usually there's that one magical piece missing - the spark that lights the fire. I'd never heard of the ideas matrix before, but seriously - this should be taught at school. It's a simple process to grasp, but immediately helps to join the dots - and find you a new purpose in life. I know that I could run a session using this method with any group of people and providing they are open-minded they'd be generating good ideas really quickly. This is one of those books where it doesn't matter what price you have to pay for it - just order it! After I'd read it once and used the method to generate a fantastic new business idea, I had to email Joseph (the author) to let him know how well it had worked for me.

Sage Instant Accounts 2011 (PC)
Sage Instant Accounts 2011 (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't upgrade from v14!, 7 Aug 2011
I've been using Sage Instant Accounts for years. I had version 14 - which I bought in about 2008/9. I thought I should treat myself to the latest version. I was disappointed to see that there had only been very minor cosmetic changes. In that three years the programmers must have had a few days with nothing to do - and thought, "what can we change without really changing anything?" We can then call it the 2011 version and sell it at 100 a pop!

I wouldn't have been surprised at this from some shady online retailer - but expected a bit more for my money from Sage. Compare this to other software I've had over the same time from smaller companies - with lower upgrade costs too - and their continued development definitely puts Sage into the shade.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2011 2:36 PM BST

My Big Idea: 30 Successful Entrepreneurs Reveal How They Found Inspiration (The Sunday Times)
by Rachel Bridge
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read with diverse business models, 29 Jun 2011
The idea to show how 30 different businesses got off the ground - with most of them being successful - was a sound one. This book makes an interesting read. Fitting so many in what is quite a small book means that there isn't much detail on each one. However, it's an easy read and does trigger some thoughts about how some of the ideas could be applied to other markets.

DRILLING DOWN: Turning Customer Data into Profits with a Spreadsheet - Third Edition
by Jim Novo
Price: 79.20

2.0 out of 5 stars very clinical and long-winded, 24 Mar 2011
To me, this book was too clinical about the subject. Being a company director, I would have preferred a helicopter view of the benefits of data segmentation and relationship marketing (which is what I think this book is about) - and some sexy examples of gains that have been made by implementing the techniques. I pushed on for 98 of the 338 pages - but about 70 of those were a real struggle. Now I've left about 50 worth of the book unread. If you're looking for real minute detail written over more pages than necessary then I'm sure you'll find it in here. I'm fighting with my conscience here, because I'm about to put the book on Amazon as used (slightly) and want to get the maximum return on my investment. So, I don't want to put you off buying it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2013 1:58 AM BST

How to Sell Anything to Anybody
How to Sell Anything to Anybody
by Joe Girard
Price: 7.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Content was a bit thin and at times unethical, 17 Dec 2010
I bought this because I wanted to learn 'how to sell anything to anyone'.

I've no doubt that this guy did earn the title of the world's greatest salesman - but having been on the receiving end of some of the tactics - ie., telling someone on the 'phone that you do have something in stock when you know you haven't, just to get them in to your showroom - I was left thinking if that's what you have to be like to be the world's greatest then perhaps I'll settle for something a bit less.

The book was cheap, so another way of looking at it is to buy it so you're aware of what someone might do to you if they're trying to be the best salesperson in the world!

Keysonic ACK-540RF Wireless Mini Keyboard with Built in Touchpad
Keysonic ACK-540RF Wireless Mini Keyboard with Built in Touchpad
Offered by City Computer Systems LTD
Price: 49.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wireless keyboard, 3 Sep 2010
I bought this so that I could connect a spare pc to the tv - and use it to watch catch-up tv on the large flat screen television rather than the computer monitor.

The keyboard works great - it's like having a light and slimline laptop on your lap - and works exactly as the laptop would. The built-in trackpad means you don't find any mice trailing on the lounge floor - so all in all, it's a great piece of kit!

Sony RDR-HXD890 Freeview+ 160GB Hard Disc Drive DVD Recorder - Black
Sony RDR-HXD890 Freeview+ 160GB Hard Disc Drive DVD Recorder - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars You can rely on Sony to do the business!, 25 July 2009
My old hard-drive recorder didn't have Freeview, so when the DVD writer packed up I took the opportunity to search for a new one.

Within one minute of getting this Sony out of the box - it was plugged in and working via the high-definition input to my 40" TV. I did have to confirm it was 'OK' for it to tune in the digital and analogue channels automatically (such a strain!). I then sat back for a couple of minutes while it set itself up, and of course it told me what the date and time was (didn't we used to have to tell them that?)

I did have to revert to the manual once. We had easily set it to record a tv program via the digital/freeview channel guide. We were surprised that the one hour recording actually lasted 1 hour and 2 minutes. Wondering if this was a fault, I dug the manual out and found the bit that says 'if your program starts late or runs over time, the recording will continue until the program finishes'. So, this confirmed that the longer recording time was intentional rather than a fault.

Now, in our house over the years we've become accustomed to watching one-off documentaries, dramas and reality shows - only to miss the last minute or two that reveals the final twist in the plot. There have been days where we haven't spoken to each other, because I 'didn't set the recorder right'. Now it seems that Sony are making it possible to reverse some of the effects of ageing. I'm keeping the secret about the auto-extending timer to myself - so I can get full credit!

So, to summarise - the good points about his particular model are:

Nice looking, very easy to set up, adjusts the timer if a digital program starts late or runs over, series record, great high definition picture - even from non-HD sources (like Sky - not Sky HD), small section of the remote control works the TV (on/off, volume, channel etc) and for everything else it does, it seems at least as good as any other model I've ever seen!