Profile for Mr. Nicholas Werner Laurie > Reviews

Content by Mr. Nicholas W...

Mr. Nicholas Werner Laurie "Nick Laurie" (Langport, Somerset, UK)

Prestige Cartridge CE310A-CE313A Toner Cartridge for HP Colour Laserjet CP1025/CP1025NW/CP1020 - Assorted Colour (Pack of 5)
Offered by Prestige Cartridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the box, 19 Jun 2014
Not only were these very respectably priced, but the set included TWO black toner cartridges which makes good sense to me.
I was well-pleased (shame the printer itself was such rubbish!)

HP LaserJet Pro M175nw 100 Colour Multifunction Printer
HP LaserJet Pro M175nw 100 Colour Multifunction Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was hoping for, 19 Jun 2014
I wanted a printer that would replace my (colour) inkjet and my (mono) laser. I thought this would do the trick. I have light usage needs with occasional bursts of heavy usage.
Trying to print a set of cheap and cheerful colour A4s is driving me nuts - up to five minutes to send them from computer to paper. If I send more than one at a time (i.e 5 copies of one print) I get error messages, out of memory errors and general failure.
When toner runs low - even though I've asked it NOT to consider 10% as low but to warn me only when we get down to 2% - it simply refuses to go on printing. It cheerfully reminds me that the 'fullness' figures are only a calculation and not to give up until print quality becomes unacceptable - but then refuses to print any further anyway.
My first one spat out screws, a long sheet of black plastic and noises like a Model T giving birth to an alien spacecraft, this second (replacement) one does at leas print but I seem to have to nurse it through every job.
I suppose I'm stuck with the damn thing now - but NEVER AGAIN!!

Lite-On IHAS122-14 - DVD+-R/RW/DL/RAM SATA BLACK - 22X12X8X/22X12X6X/12X+48X24X48X IN
Offered by Kikatek

1.0 out of 5 stars Out of stock not good enough, 23 Feb 2014
It never came! Advertises as available but eventually they told me they didn't have any. Wasted a LOT of my time...

Aqua Net Professional Hair Spray Extra Super Hold 3 Unscented 310g
Aqua Net Professional Hair Spray Extra Super Hold 3 Unscented 310g
Offered by Cosmetic Solutions Inc.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what it was meant to be, 13 Jan 2014
I've been looking all over for this product for use with a 3D printer. Delighted to find it on Amazon and the can was MASSIVE.
Well done!

400mm x 205mm x 0.5mm Silicone Thermal Pad for CPU GPU Heatsink
400mm x 205mm x 0.5mm Silicone Thermal Pad for CPU GPU Heatsink
Offered by sourcingmap

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what it says it is!, 5 Dec 2013
Hard to get over-excited about a sheet of heatsink material! But it is exactly as described, it is cheap, it does what it's supposed to do, I'm very pleased with it. Good enough?

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good as gold!, 27 April 2013
Epson virtually invented the office dot-matrix printer and they've been improving their technology ever since.
I'm not a massive fan of their ink jets, but their DMs - and this one in particular - are everything you could want.

The Voice Book: For Actors, Public Speakers and Everyone Who Wants to Make the Most of Their Voice
by Michael McCallion

5.0 out of 5 stars If you speak in public..., 27 April 2013
... just get it.
Michael McCallion is (alas, was) a master of using the voice and, more importantly, of teaching others to use theirs. Packed with info, tips, lessons and exercises.

Glory Road
Glory Road
by Robert Heinlein

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it was when I first read it!, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Glory Road (Paperback)
Well, not quite, I'm out of my twenties now (by 40+ years) but it's still a darned good yarn. Love it. I guess I'm rerady to try Stranger in a Strange Lan d again now!
(though nothing in the world of Heinlein 60s SF can beat A Fall of Moondust)

The Art of Electronics
The Art of Electronics
by Paul Horowitz

3.0 out of 5 stars intensive!, 27 April 2013
This review is from: The Art of Electronics (Hardcover)
My bad- I was hoping for a book packed with circuit examples (which it is) for the lazy (which it ain't) with just enough explanation to stop me feeling like an idiot! Instead I got a 1st year (?) university bible.
An amazing book and I should have read the description more carefully!
Anyone want to buy it off me? ;-)

PC Technician's Bench Book (Black Book (Coriolis Group Books Paperback))
PC Technician's Bench Book (Black Book (Coriolis Group Books Paperback))
by Ron Gilster

1.0 out of 5 stars 650 pages stating the obvious 50 pages just plain wrong IMHO, 9 Dec 2001
`If you install an ATX power supply and it fails to power up, the problem may very well lie in the motherboard, processor, memory, or video card - or it may not.' This is typical of what the publisher's blurb introduces as `technical accuracy', `practical focus' and `accessibility'. Still on the subject of power supplies, this book confidently states that `The power supply accounts for nearly a third of the problems on a PC' - well, not in my experience, it doesn't; some problems, yes, but I replace less than one PSU per month and compared to, say, windows problems, drive problems, connector problems and (above all) user problems, the PSU is nothing more than an occasional refreshing `easy one' - I just wish a third of my work was as simple as this!
Picture captions are misplaced, duplicated and wrong (chapter 15); eight - yes eight - full pages describing the keyboard layout are typical of the level of woffle in this book. The index fails to list quite fundamental items (ATA/100? No. ATA/66, then? No. Change tack then: ESD (electrostatic discharge)? No, though an ESD strap is illustrated, and indexed without explanation). Slapdash editing like this just makes a nonsense of the occasional good bits in this book.
Anyone who has been `spoiled' by reading real technicians' books by real technicians will be very sadly disappointed, if not actively upset (the way I was) by this book. Try looking up Scott Mueller on this website and spend the extra few quid on some of the hard stuff.
Described as `ideal for A+ certified technicians', any technician with a couple of years' field experience would be lost as to whether to laugh or cry at this book. Having just spent £34 on it, I'm crying.
Nick Laurie (freelance PC repair technician)