Profile for Mrs. Carole B. Miller > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Carole B....

Mrs. Carole B. Miller "carolemiller3" (Highlands, UK)

The Lewis Man: Book Two of the Lewis Trilogy
The Lewis Man: Book Two of the Lewis Trilogy
Price: 3.65

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite of the Lewis Trilogy!, 7 July 2013
I read this on my kindle and it's testament to how good it is that I didn't notice that I was up to 94% read ... it's gripping, interesting stuff. The science behind the story is fascinating - the story of the island is told too and the social history of Scotland and the comparison between 2 very different parts of the country is captivating! I was so taken by this book that I recently went to Eriskay to see where some of the 'action' took place! Amazing book!

The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy
The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally brilliant!, 7 July 2013
I picked this up when it was recommended to me by a friend. She was correct - it's brilliant! The description, the research this man must have done to make everything so real. You really feel like you get to know the characters without it ever getting too invasive of the actual story - which is a murder/mystery/thriller.

The Chessmen (Lewis Trilogy 3)
The Chessmen (Lewis Trilogy 3)
Price: 3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you in suspense!, 7 July 2013
This, the last in the Lewis Trilogy, does not disappoint! The story draws you in and takes you on a wonderful journey till the 'crime' is solved!

Ballads
Ballads
Price: 16.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Another oustanding album from the Mistree of Harmony!, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Ballads (Audio CD)
Tunes might help you breath more easily but I was so spellbound by the tracks that I sometimes forgot to breathe - it was that good. With every year and every CD Liane Carroll just gets better and better! This CD will not disappoint you! Great for having on late at night with the lights down low!

Raven Black (Shetland)
Raven Black (Shetland)
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read!, 7 July 2013
After finishing a trilogy from another author, the Ann Cleeves Shetland books were recommended to me! I wasn't disappointed - couldn't put it down! Gripping, thrilling, twists at every turn! I certainly never saw what was coming!

The Wishcatchers (Kelpies)
The Wishcatchers (Kelpies)
by Carol Christie
Price: 5.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Wishing for More, 14 Dec 2011
I used this story as a class reader for my composite P1-7 class.

They really enjoyed the story - they felt it could have been set in their area (NW Scotland) and identified with all the characters. The story was about Antonia, a girl who is being bullied by some of her classmates. When she wants to escape the bullying she goes to Wishcatcher's Point and sets a wish that someone else would be bullied. But how will she feel when her wish comes true .... ?

The story explores the complex emotional issues involved with bullying and it led to many interesting discussions with the children about appropriate behaviour and what you should do if you feel you're being bullied. Interestingly their feelings were not black and white on the issue.

This book treats the seriousness of bullying in a sensitive way and in the end you have sympathy for both the bullied and the bullier. A well written and researched book - it's a fantastic read and the class can't wait for Carol Christie's next novel.

The Witch's Tears (Roaring Good Reads)
The Witch's Tears (Roaring Good Reads)
by Jenny Nimmo

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner for sure, 14 Dec 2011
I read The Witch's Tears to my multicomposite P1-7 class and they absolutely loved it - even the oldest readers. They were begging me to read the next chapter! Emerging and confident readers would manage to read this on their own. It also inspired lots of writing lessons from prediction to character descriptions. The whole concept of witches crying crystals is ingenious and you are never quite sure whether the Witch is a good witch or a bad witch or even a witch at all - you're kept guessing and that's a good thing! I've spoken to others about this book and I don't think I've found anyone who hasn't enjoyed it!

George's Secret Key to the Universe
George's Secret Key to the Universe
by Stephen Hawking
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Secret Key Indeed, 5 Oct 2008
I picked this book up to read as part of a Book Chain I was doing as an illustration for pupils in a P4-7 Class(Scotland) and enjoyed this very much. The pace of the story is fast and there are wonderful fact boxes and photographs of space phenomena like comets, planets and all sorts of spacey things! There's also a great Poster of the Solar System. What a novel way to introduce learning about Space!

Son of Dolly Bird
Son of Dolly Bird

5.0 out of 5 stars Mistress of Harmony, 5 Nov 2003
This review is from: Son of Dolly Bird (Audio CD)
Liane Carroll knows good music! From the very first track you are held spellbound! There are some extremely good arrangements like 'Say a Little Prayer' and 'You don't know me' - little twists on old favourites as well as some of her own stuff. The band are also excellent!! Truly a 'must-have' CD for any collection!