Profile for S. Unmack Larsen > Reviews

Content by S. Unmack Larsen

S. Unmack Larsen "S. Unmack Larsen"

Rotring Art Pen Calligraphy Italic Lettering 1.5mm
Rotring Art Pen Calligraphy Italic Lettering 1.5mm
Price: 14.86

2.0 out of 5 stars A gusher, 4 Oct 2013
This pen is WET.
The first couple of lines of a writing session are quite wet, but then the pen becomes very nearly unusable, now and then leaving an entire drop of ink, depending on angle, speed and paper. The line looks fat and good, but really ..... I do not mind a wet nib, my Pelikan fountain pens are perfect, but while the Rotring is all good fun it is simply too much!
I also received the Artpen Medium Writer, and that one too is very wet and writing a wet and thick line more resembling an extra broad nib, but narrowly within the acceptable. Only just.

Diamine Registrar's Bottled Ink 30ml - Blue/Black
Diamine Registrar's Bottled Ink 30ml - Blue/Black
Offered by Europens
Price: 8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely no bleed-through. Water resistant., 8 Sep 2013
Sometimes I think modern paper is not made for modern fountain pen inks. Or that modern fountain pen inks are not made for writing on modern paper.
Feathering and bleed-through are too often a serious problem, even writing on quite high-guality paper.

I find that the solution is using iron gall inks, such as Diamine's "Registrar's Ink".
First I thought it quite a dry ink writing with a Lamy Safari Fine and Safari Broad nibs, with very heavy shading, even efter a couple of days of oxidisation.
I then changed to a Pelikan M215 with a Fine 14K gold nib, and this a much wetter nib. The improvement was astonishing: the line starts out very wet and blue, turning dark after a few seconds, and gradually more and more black. And despite the very wet line there is no bleed-through. A lot of my writing paper is returned to service, especially the Orange Glue A4 Big Lined Note Pad.

I left a 2 day-old sheet of written paper in the rain for six hours. After drying it there was very, very little observable smudging.

There are a few caveats according to those in the know: flush the pen regularly (which is easily done on a Pelikan) and keep it topped up.

Orange Glue A4 Big Lined Note Pad
Orange Glue A4 Big Lined Note Pad
by Whitelines Ab
Edition: Stationery
Price: 11.51

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for fountain pens., 22 Aug 2013
Tearing off the first sheet I immediately feared the worst: the paper looked and felt a little on the thin side.
The off-white paper with the white lines is a pleasure to behold, it is a wonderful idea. Writing on it with a fountain pen is not so very wonderful.

I have attempted 18 pens with 18 different inks on the first sheet. The wettest pen/ink combination leaves a fair amount of feathering, another less so.
14 of them them cause from medium to heavy bleed-through, making it completely impossible to write on the reverse side. 4 of them offer from very little to minor bleed-through: the finest nib, the driest ink ...and Diamine's old-fashioned "Registrar's Ink" written with a broad nib, for some reason. Fine nibs do however make a mark on the reverse, as do pencils.

I am not at all happy with this product for the purpose I acquired it. On the other hand it nowhere says that the paper is fountain pen safe.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2014 1:40 PM GMT

Parker Premier Black, Silver Trim Medium Fountain Pen - Gift Boxed
Parker Premier Black, Silver Trim Medium Fountain Pen - Gift Boxed
Price: 166.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Ink flow problem, 4 Aug 2013
It is a fine-looking pen, and makes a pleasant writing tool if a little heavier than I would prefer.
The pen writes quite beautifully .....when it writes.
Writing is constantly interrupted when I have to retrace part of a letter. I have flushed the pen several times, I have attempted different inks including Parker inks, and I carefully removed at tiny bit of hair stuck under the nip and just behind the tip where it meets the plastic, and nothing has helped. Perhaps there is more than "a tiny bit of hair" hidden where I cannot see it, interrupting ink flow.
Customers generally seem very pleased, and ink flow highly praised. But not in my pen. It is practically unusable when I have to retrace a letter or part of a letter 4-5-6 times per written line. My second-hand but barely used Cross Townsend has a similar problem, only much worse: it completely stops writing after a few lines. Which is likely why it was put on sale ;-(
Unhappily I much prefer the Waterman Carene and Pelikans M600 and M200.

Edit, same day: in the interest of fairness I flushed the pen again, on the recommendation of a pen maintenance site: "Flush, flush and flush again!".
I also bent back the tip ever so slightly and carefully while flushing, in order to flush out anything between nip and the plastic rest.
Finally I employed the thinnest and wettest ink in my possession that I am aware of: Herbin's "Eclat de Saphir", luckily a VERY nice ink.
Everything is much improved. After almost three close-written pages of nonsense I am happy to say that the ink flow is almost what should be expected. Almost. I do have to retrace a letter now and then, but it is nowhere near the former disaster and I am considering applying the same nib treatment to the Cross Townsend Medalist.
Accordingly I have upped the Stars from Two to a very small Four: there is always the fear.

Edit 30 Nov 2013. Steady improvement, and I have upped my rating to 5 stars. By and by the Herbin ink 'Eclat de Saphir' became too wet, and I happily changed it to Diamine's 'Blue/Black', an ink of almost excessive gravitas and authority. The pen and ink combo makes such a smooth writer that the weight is barely noticed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2013 12:24 PM BST

Waterman Carene Contemporary Gunmetal & Black Silver Trim Medium Nib Fountain Pen - Gift Boxed
Price: 212.25

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure, 16 July 2013
I am very happy with this pen, one of several fountain pen acquisitions this last year.
Looks are streamlined and beautiful, ink flow is constant, with the current Waterman ink the writing experience is smoothness and pure enjoyment.
Methinks I'll have another one -or several!- for my other inks.

TAIYO YUDEN DVD+R 16x WHITE FULL FACE INKJET PRINTABLE (100 Stack)
TAIYO YUDEN DVD+R 16x WHITE FULL FACE INKJET PRINTABLE (100 Stack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very low rate of failures, 16 Jun 2013
I am well into the second batch of 100 Taiyo Yuden DVD+R. I suppose I have had one or two failures among the lot, and I can as easily blame the old HDD DVD recorder.
I feel confident whenever I begin a recording session using TY, mostly soccer World Cup and Tour de France. I know that there'll be little or no trouble, now and in the future ...if the reports of archival longevity are to be trusted. The recorder is due to be replaced but I'll stay with HDD DVD recorders, avoiding Blu Ray and hard drives.

Waterman Bottled Ink (50ml) - Serenity Blue
Waterman Bottled Ink (50ml) - Serenity Blue
Price: 6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely bright blue - formerly known as "Florida Blue", 8 Jan 2013
But not TOO bright. Think a tropical coral reef, clear transparent water, schools of colorful fish, glittering rays of sunlight.

There is a website with some words on "Florida" vs "Serenity" blue. I link to it in the comments section.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2013 4:18 PM GMT