Profile for hostelgirl > Reviews

All Quiet on the Western Front
All Quiet on the Western Front
by Erich Maria Remarque

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant and touching portrayal, 9 Mar. 2016
I am not someone who reads loads of war stuff in fact I think I would find much of it dull and mechanical. This book however totally transcends the genre. It is so human and moving. It follows the story of a young recruit and his fellow soldiers as they trawl through the harrowing experience of The Great War. Switches flick between callousness, selfishness, shallowness, emptiness, powerlessness and the raw love, hurt and sadness.
I got this out on a whim at my local library but I became so involved with the characters, it made me cry.
It may be about The Great War but the storytelling is timeless and as relevant as ever.

Grafix Guess What's Their Name Game (Guess Who)
Grafix Guess What's Their Name Game (Guess Who)
Offered by Howleys Toy Shop

1.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy, terrible put together yourself tat, 6 Dec. 2015
Terrible flimsy, not a patch on the original I had as a kid. I paid £5 for this but having opened it and put together myself - oh yes you have to do that- it us abysmal, I wouldn't have even paid £2 if I'd known what I was getting. I am not even going to give to my son for Xmas as he would be thoroughly frustrated with the tiny pieces of cardboard and plastic that would be sure to break within minutes.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Gretel and the Dark
Gretel and the Dark
by Eliza Granville

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark but gripping tale, 26 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Gretel and the Dark (Paperback)
What a fab read. At times a bit hard to follow as stories and reality converge but worth sticking with for sure. Dark but so compelling. Was nearly crying at times. Definitely recommend.

Who Cooked Adam Smith's Dinner?: A Story About Women and Economics
Who Cooked Adam Smith's Dinner?: A Story About Women and Economics
by Katrine Marcal

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Aug. 2015
Love this book. Very thought provoking. Recommend.

Piccalilly Organic Cotton Blue Boys Candy Stripe Woven Pyjamas
Piccalilly Organic Cotton Blue Boys Candy Stripe Woven Pyjamas

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these, so traditional and they wash very well, 19 Aug. 2015
Love these, so traditional and they wash very well. My little boy looks gorgeous in them. Just ordered a yellow striped pair too. I have the red checked ones (with a boat on) too and they are a bit lighter in fabric but equally beautiful.

Playshoes Rain Dungarees Waterproofs Straight Boy's Trousers Green 5-6 Years (116)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Aug. 2015
Love these. Great colour, not bulky and reasonable price too. Great buy.

Badger Company, Active Kids, Zinc Oxide Sunscreen Cream, SPF 30, Tangerine & Vanilla, 2.9 fl oz (87 ml)
Offered by Jay's Outdoor Supply - USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad there are some negative reviews on here about it, 8 Jun. 2015
Sad there are some negative reviews on here about it. Me and my toddler loves this. He does not react to this one as he has done to previous sun creams. Smells fantastic and works. Would definitely buy again (if I can afford it!).

Donna Dewberry's All New Book of One-Stroke Painting
Donna Dewberry's All New Book of One-Stroke Painting
by Donna Dewberry

3.0 out of 5 stars would've preferred more technique, fewer project ideas, 18 Feb. 2015
More than half of book is devoted to project ideas. A shame cause I would've liked more techniques, product info etc. I wanted to use this for face painting technique as many face painters do - she is big in the facepainting world - but there were no examples of this. Her projects like painting a tray and mail box were of no use to me. The section at the beginning until page 74 was very good though.

Playmobil 6777 1.2.3 Take Along Fire Station
Playmobil 6777 1.2.3 Take Along Fire Station
Offered by Toysworld

2.0 out of 5 stars not like old playmobil, 27 Dec. 2014
In my old playmobil when I was a kid the arms would move up and down, you could put things like the suit cases in the characters hands to grip. Not on this version. The case doesn't even open, arms flat by characters sides. I do not understand why they have not kept these basic features that used to make playmobil a great kids toy with loads of play value. Why change them in this way? They now have a lot less play value. All i can think of is maybe they are aiming a slightly younger clientele who may put things in their mouths. Is it my imagination or have the figures put on weight too? At least the plastic is quite sturdy. Very disappointed Playmobil.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2015 11:24 PM GMT

The Three Billy- Goats Gruff (A Ladybird Easy-Reading Book)
The Three Billy- Goats Gruff (A Ladybird Easy-Reading Book)
by Vera Southgate

3.0 out of 5 stars The one I received looks like a slightly more modern edition and says well loved ..., 12 Sept. 2014
Not the same cover as one shown when I purchased it. The one I received looks like a slightly more modern edition and says well loved tales inside a white oval with flowers on it. Thankfully illustrations are same inside and it is in good condition as described. More care should be taken to ensure I purchase the same product and not one that is just a bit similar.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6