Profile for Bee > Reviews

Content by Bee

Bee (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
S-noilite Blonde WIG Cap,stretch Breathable Full Head Hair Wigs Cap,for Full Wigs/half Wigs,unisex,one Size Fixes All (3pcs, Black+Brown+Blonde)
Offered by UK-Fashion-Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Hid my hair effectively, 25 May 2016
I thought I was ordering three caps (one of each type) but I ended up with three of each - so astonishing value for money. The one I used worked well under the wig I bought for a fancy dress party - I have naturally unruly curly hair and this kept it all nicely tucked away. I did need some grips to stop the cap popping off though.

Allsorts® Navy Feather Net Clip Hat Fascinator Wedding Ladies Day Race Royal Ascot
Offered by AllsortsAccessoriesUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Perky little fascinator, 25 May 2016
I needed something retro for a fancy dress party, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money. This fitted the bill nicely.

It was rather smaller than the picture would indicate (I think the model head must be somewhat small) but still acceptable for the purpose. In fact, it's probably better for re-use - I can see this making an appearance at weddings etc.

The fascinator clips on with two hidden clips, and these work well on both my natural hair and the synthetic wig I intend to wear at the party.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase

Rapesco Eco Stapler Tacker Recycled Material, Uses Staples 13 and 53/4-8 mm - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Stronger than it looks, 25 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a set of vintage dining chairs which I update from time to time with different fabrics on the seating. For years, I've borrowed my parent's heavy duty tacker for this job, but I'm now a couple of hundred miles away, and not in the next town so I needed one of my own - hey, I'm a grown up, I can have tools!

Anyway, when I first opened this up, I wondered if it was going to be up to the job - it feels quite lightweight in the hand. Now obviously, this is going to be good if you need to use it for prolonged use, but would it be sturdy enough to fire staples into quite solid timber?

Well, the good news is that it does - eventually. Although the loading of the staples is very straightforward (although bizarrely it doesn't take a full strip) releasing the handle needed more effort that I expected. I was taking it easy because the device does feel rather flimsy in the hand. Once released, you then have to reposition it for the staples to fire - again, a good bit of force was needed. Once primed and ready to go, it is an effective tacker, driving into wood and card with alacrity.

After use, you should be able to lock the handle in the down position, but although I can move it from the firing position, it won't stay unlocked. This is a shame, as it would be safer and easier to store if the feature worked.

Overall - it works, but the build quality could be better.

Nails Inc Trio Power Treatments Set
Nails Inc Trio Power Treatments Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality nail products, 24 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a bit of a nail polish addict - I don't do anything fancy, like nail art or anything, but I do like nicely polished nails. I've only ever used Nails Inc Base Coat before - for top coat, I'm a Seche Vite girl, so I was keen to try the full set of treatments

The set comes in a nice simple gift box. There are no instructions included, but it's not hard to work out what to do - although it would be nice if the packaging at least said for the overnight treatment that it should be applied to bare nails. Each bottle is a generous 14ml size. Once the silver top is pulled off, there's a more practical ribbed black one to use, and the brush is nice and wide so the base coat can be applied in one sweep.

I always use a base coat, to make my polish last longer (not sure they do that) and to prevent staining (which they definitely do).Although a rather sickly looking green colour in the bottle, this goes on clear and leaves a nice smooth surface, which does give a good base for colour, and it does seem to prevent peeling of colour - and peeling and flaking of my rather dry nails. I'm slightly dubious about the claims made for the kale extract, but this is a nice quality base. When I use it regularly, it does keep my nails in much better condition. I've been a bit lazy recently and haven't been wearing polish much, and my nails are definitely weaker and flakier because of it.

As I mentioned before, I'm a fan of Seche Vite as a top coat, as it means I can basically polish and go and it really helps extend the longevity of my polish. I was intrigued to see how the Kensington Caviar top coat would measure up. It's actually a clear winner - it smells better, it dries as quickly, it isn't tacky and has a high gloss, and it doesn't shrink the underlying colour. Of course, it's more expensive but if the bottle lasts as long as the base coat I've used before, it is good value for money.

The one product I'm less sure of is the overnight detox mask. Detox is a word overused in the beauty industry and is basically meaningless. The bottle comes with no instructions but a quick visit to the Nails Inc website shows that it should be applied every night for a couple of weeks for an intensive treatment, or once or twice a week as a conditioning treatment. It is applied with a lipgloss like applicator and actually has quite a light, pleasant smell, which in unusual in a nail treatment. Equally unusual is that it just washes off afterwards. It's still early days so I don't know if it's doing any good yet - I haven't been leaving my nails bare since the first treatment, as I've been testing the base and top coat!

All in all, these are quality nail products - with a price tag that reflects this. There may be cheaper products out there, but there are very few better ones.

eBoot 18 Sizes 14 Inch (35 cm) Single Pointed Bamboo Knitting Needles Set (2.0mm - 10.0mm)
Offered by eBoot

3.0 out of 5 stars Some needles not finished as well as the others., 23 May 2016
I've been knitting for over 40 years (and I'm only 47) so you could say I have some experience.

A number of years ago, I switched to wooden and bamboo needles from metal, and I have to say it was a revelation - they are lighter, more flexible, warmer to use (all three points meaning less effort on your wrists and hands) and when using yarns that are slippy (for example, bamboo - yes, yarns can be made from bamboo, not just needles) they grip the yarn better.

I was delighted to be asked to review these needles as the one downside of bamboo is that they aren't always as durable as aluminium or plastic needles. Several needles have snapped when inadvertently sat on, or crushed in a bag. And the tips of some do become worn and splintered with time.

The range of sizes included covers needles for pretty much every project from lace to the chunkiest of jumpers. I used size 3.5mm to start a lace project and I was delighted with the quality of the needles, their smooth finish, and their grip on the yarn. However, when I tried to use the 4mm needles, the tip on one needle was a little blunt, and unusable. I then checked the remaining pairs, and the finishing on another size was poor - there was a snag which would splinter in use. This is a shame, because the others were all fine, and the price for such a selection is great. If it had been one of the needle sizes I'm least likely to use I would have shrugged and written it off, but 4mm is a size I use often, as it's the usual size for double knitting yarn.

The seller kindly sent me this product to review free of charge. The opinions expressed are my own.

Senchanting Women's Black Faux Leather Steampunk Overbust Lace up Corset Spiral Steel Boned Costume Bustier
Offered by Senchant

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, 23 May 2016
I was looking for a corset to wear to a fancy dress party and when I was offered the chance to try this item, I leapt at it. I thought it would be perfect for the event - and so it proved. In fact, it exceeded my expectations, and in a way I'm sad that I probably won't get the chance to wear this more often!

First impressions were very positive - the faux leather is supple but sturdy, and the front clasps are robust and also add a great "steampunk" vibe to the outfit. Both front and back openings have panels for comfort and coverage. As I haven't worn a corset before, I needed a second pair of hands to get me laced in, but now that the measurement is set, with a bit of a wriggle I can do it myself.

Despite squishing me in (and there's a lot of me to squish) the corset was surprisingly comfortable to wear, and looked very effective.

The corset comes with a g-string, which is a triangle of the faux leather on black elastic. It's sadly not of the same quality in finish as the corset and I felt it rather let the outfit down.

I don't know enough about corsets to comment on whether this is for the "serious" waist trainer, but as a bit of fun, it's really rather good.

The Louise Parker Method: Lean for Life
The Louise Parker Method: Lean for Life
by Louise Parker

3.0 out of 5 stars Big on style, short on realism. Aspirational but not achievable., 23 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not being a reader of newspapers and women's magazines, I'd never heard of Louise Parker, but from the blurb, I was interested to see what she had to say on the topic of healthy living.

Quite a lot, it turns out - this is a hefty hardback book, and although there are pages and pages of photography - much of it of Louise and her family - there's a fair amount of reading too.

And at first read through, it all sounds pretty sensible - eat less, eat good stuff, move more, put effort it. Don't fall prey to self sabotage and "stinking thinking" and make the best of yourself and your surroundings. The eating plan involves three meals a day and two snacks, all very attractively photographed and looking fairly simple to prepare with no odd-ball ingredients. An increased liquid intake is recommended. The exercises are illustrated and seem to combine yoga moves and strengthening exercises. No special equipment is required. Walking is encouraged.
The plan is designed to last six weeks and users are promised a 1-2 dress size reduction in this period.

And yet ... after my initial enthusiasm had been slept on - and I was enthusiastic, there's no doubt Parker writes in a very motivational style - some questions began to creep in.
- No mention was made of any of Parker's qualifications to write about the subject - the only course mentioned is a personal training course she after studying drama
- Her personal experience of weight loss seems to be confined to a little baby weight. The numerous pictures of her throughout the book show a long lean body type, which is probably going to respond well to any type of exercise or dietary restriction
- There's no case studies at all in the book. With apparently 11000 clients who have gone through this system, many of whom are described as celebrities, film stars, movers and shakers it's really rather an odd omission. I know some people value their privacy, but surely one or two celeb clients could have been persuaded to endorse the book?
- There's several promises to "show you how" - how to include exercise, how to drink more liquid, make your surrounding beautiful - that don't materialise.
- "Protecting the results forever" seems to include following the plan for life, with only a day off a week, or the odd glass of wine
- You are expected to do 10 000 steps a day PLUS the exercises. So that's an hour and a bit walking (for a normal person) BEFORE you do the exercise warm up and then the exercises

Parker is very gung ho and wants to encourage people to be their best. She does say it will take time and effort, but I wonder how much she knows about people's real lives. If I were to do everything every day, I'd need 1.5 hours for walking, 0.5 hours for the exercises, time for food preparation, time to get up and move from my desk, a 20 minute "brain nap" not to mention seven hours of sleep which are prescribed and the 90 minutes screen curfew before then. Oh and somewhere in that, spending time with family, some "de-stressing time" and doing other things that make me happy ... and let's not forget I have a full time job so this all adds up a schedule which makes me stressed just reading it!

Perhaps something so prescriptive isn't for me. Yes, my health and fitness is important to me, but no so important it becomes a full time commitment. I notice in the lengthy credits that Parker not only has help in the home and in the office, and it seems that most of the work of delivering her method to these 11000 movers and shakers (and boy, you're going to move and shake following this plan) is contracted out. Which probably means the author does have the time to devote to following her own method and her (admitted) obsession for luxury goods. For the rest of us, we have lives to lead.

Busy B School Year Calendar 2016 / 2017 with Monthly Pocket
Busy B School Year Calendar 2016 / 2017 with Monthly Pocket

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and useful, 21 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As someone who works with regularly occuring deadlines, and on some projects with long lead times, by this time of any year (May) my standard diary/calendar is not enough, and I start looking at academic year solutions - which of course, see me through to about February ... I think what I really need is an 18 month or 2 year planner ... but in the meantime, this will do, and do quite nicely.

It's sturdy enough to bear repeated scribbles and rubbings-out, and with five columns plus birthdays/events, is more than enough for my partner and I to put both work and social commitments on - I'm going to split it into morning/afternoon/evening/partner/social. It's quite pretty without being overly girly, and will suit my home office nicely.

The pockets are going to be useful for keeping tickets, hotel bookings and expense receipts too.

It's a shame that the notebook referred to in the description hasn't materialised in the final version. And the stickers aren't going to be terribly useful for me either, but I can substitute my own if I want to use any, I guess.

Mudder 2 Pack Plastic Sports Coach Whistles with Lanyard, Black
Mudder 2 Pack Plastic Sports Coach Whistles with Lanyard, Black
Offered by Mudder Online UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, loud, long lanyard, 19 May 2016
Lightweight, loud, long lanyard ... a nice good value product for refereeing, game playing or for personal safety.

The seller kindly sent me this product to review free of charge.The opinions expressed are my own.

Mudder 5ATM Waterproof Digital Sports Military Multifunctional Dive Wrist Watch, Titanium
Offered by Mudder Online UK

4.0 out of 5 stars A good value watch, 19 May 2016
This watch comes in an attractive gift box which means it would make a nice present.

The construction is big and chunky and appears to be of good quality. The "shoulders" aren't flexible, so the watch may be too big for boys with small wrists.The strap is rubber and fairly comfortable although it's likely to get sweaty in hot weather.

The instructions for setting the time and alarm are clear and easy to follow.

A particular feature of this watch is the large display, although in normal conditions, this is black against a grey background - it only becomes green in the dark, and when the light button is pressed.

We didn't test the watch in water so we can't comment on how waterproof it is.

Overall, a decent watch for the money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20