Profile for Rampant Rupert > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Cressi  Adult Dry Snorkel - Black
Cressi Adult Dry Snorkel - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 April 2016
This review is from: Cressi Adult Dry Snorkel (Sports)
Excellent replacement for an old snorkel that went for a burton. Highly recommended, and easy to fit on just about any mask.

Cressi Matrix Mask with Dry Snorkel Set Combo, Blue
Cressi Matrix Mask with Dry Snorkel Set Combo, Blue
Offered by Prime Scuba

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, 9 April 2016
Excellent snorkel and mask set. These gave me a great range of vision and didn't feel at all claustrophobic. The dry snorkel is a major bonus. No more mouth full of salty water!

Muhle Grande Closed Comb Safety Razor - LARGE
Muhle Grande Closed Comb Safety Razor - LARGE
Offered by The Piccadilly Shaving Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Good razor., 9 April 2016
Very good. Does the job as is suited for anybody with a large hand. No complaints whatsoever.

Thorntons Classics Milk Chocolate Brazils 256 g
Thorntons Classics Milk Chocolate Brazils 256 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice indeed, 27 Mar. 2016
I bought the smaller boxed version of this from a supermarket, and was annoyed because it only came with 12 chocolates, which was very miserly. This box has double the chocs and only costs a pound more.

We Can Do Anything
We Can Do Anything

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh my oh my oh my..., 5 Mar. 2016
This review is from: We Can Do Anything (Audio CD)
The first new album from the Femmes in well over a decade. So is it any good? Is it to the high standard of "Hallowed Ground" or "Violent Femmes", or are we in the murky depths of "Freak Magnet".

Well, we are somewhere between the two. It certainly isn't a Hallowed Ground beater, but none of the songs are what I would describe as unlistenable. Some of them are pretty good.

What they all are is more mature, in their sound. They are mellower than the Violent Femmes of old. It is almost as if the band got older...

This is fine, but really, if you get older, the lyrics need to get older too. A song about getting executive relief from a high school chick in your car is great when it is written and sung by a high school kid. When it is sung by a middle-aged man it sounds a bit Jimmy Saville.

I may be being a bit unfair on that front. If you listen to Gano singing the old classics from many of the youtube clips of their recent tours, you don't think it odd for him to be singing about such stuff. So perhaps once I've listened a few more times it will grow on me.

You may be a little disappointed when you hear this album, but that is mainly because it has reminded you that you are no longer 19.

Nice to see the boys pumping out some new material though. It would have been nice if they had snuck their cover of Crazy on here as well. That is well worth a listen if you track it down.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2016 2:24 PM GMT

Grandpa's Great Escape
Grandpa's Great Escape
by David Walliams

2.0 out of 5 stars Far from his best., 3 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Grandpa's Great Escape (Hardcover)
Oh dear. Up until now our daughter has been a big fan of David Walliams' books, but this one was just really quite boring. The story didn't seem to know where it wanted to go, and didn't have two of the vital ingredients present in his other books. First, it wasn't that much fun, and secondly, it wasn't even vaguely credible. Its difficult to explain what I mean. Its not as if Gangster Granny was believable, but a child could get in to that story and have fun with it. This one seems to rely too much on "Deus Ex Machina" like escapes though.

Up until now, David Walliams has been one of the few authors I can still read to our daughter as a bedtime story. Most authors she just devours herself. But she still likes her quality time with her Daddy, so we need to have an author we can both cope with. I have to agree with our daughter's conclusion though. This book was just not up to his usual standards.

A final criticism from our daughter: what has David Walliams got against women? She has a fair point.

On the plus side, it does have Raj in it.

Cutaway Inside View of Practice Padlock Lock Training Skill Pick for Locksmith (1pc Padlock + 3pc Key)
Offered by TYFung

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok as practice locks go., 21 Feb. 2016
This is better than the previous practice lock I tried, as it can prove a bit of a challenge. However, it isn't finished very well externally. Good to practice on as you can see the pins moving.

Nintendo Handheld Console 3DS XL - New Nintendo 3DS XL Metallic - Blue
Nintendo Handheld Console 3DS XL - New Nintendo 3DS XL Metallic - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good hand held console., 21 Feb. 2016
This is an excellent little device, with a wealth of options for parents to use, and use them you should, unless you want your little ones surfing the web unprotected and chatting to complete strangers. The 3D option is a bit of a gimmick, but again, that is configurable by parental controls, so you can turn it off if you don't want your little one going cross eyed or whatever the perceived danger might be.

The unit also comes complete with its own pretty decent software, so fun can be had straight out of the box. As a parent, you may find yourself being photographed and transformed into a character in a game. As I am a bit of a slaphead, I was identified as a baby, much to our daughter's amusement.

There is also a wealth of software available, and here the previously owned sections at shops and second hand deals on Amazon really come into their own.

All in all, a great little console, that provides more fun than a tablet alone. Just remember to set it up BEFORE giving it to your kid, if you don't want the parental controls to be mysteriously disabled.

Top Trumps Specials Horrible Histories
Top Trumps Specials Horrible Histories
Offered by Premier Life Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Our daughter likes them!, 21 Feb. 2016
Good fun, though I would question some of the ratings they have assigned various people.

C2010 Twenty-Two Piece Slim Line Lock Pick Set
C2010 Twenty-Two Piece Slim Line Lock Pick Set
Offered by UKBumpKeys

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice set., 21 Feb. 2016
These work really well. I bought a practice padlock to go with them (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LUKSDXU?ref_=cfb_at_prodpg) and while not the sturdiest padlock in the world it did provide a bit of a challenge. Then I moved on to a Yale lock, and lo and behold, I picked it! It was only one of their smaller padlocks, and I still have to tackle the huge one I bought a while ago, but at least it is a start.

As to the picks themselves, they are stronger than others I have tried and been unhappy with. They also come in a nice leather case which didn't pong. Six tension wrenches are included, in an assortment of shapes and sizes. There are no instructions whatsoever though. However, youtube is your friend on that front.

It should be pointed out that I got these because I was interested in learning how to pick a lock as a hobby. It was extremely satisfying when I picked my first Yale lock. However, I wouldn't advise carrying the set around with you, unless you have a very good reason. You might end up with a lot of explaining to do if plod every found you with them while you were walking home from the pub.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20