Profile for Stephanie Kirby > Reviews

Content by Stephanie Kirby

Stephanie Kirby "super_kiwi13"

Page: 1 | 2
Haroun and the Sea of Stories (Puffin Books)
Haroun and the Sea of Stories (Puffin Books)
by Rushdie Salman

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 18 Nov 2007
I have just read this book as part of my degree and all I can say is I wish i read it sooner. It was brilliant. If I am ever asked where stories come from this book will be my answer. An absolute must for both adults and children!

Each Peach Pear Plum (Picture Puffin)
Each Peach Pear Plum (Picture Puffin)
by Janet Ahlberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, 14 Sep 2007
What a perfectly charming book. Children love the bouncy rhyme and they recognise many famous characters such as tom thumb and cinderella. Statistics show that if a child is not interested in a reading by the time they are 7 they never will be. This is a brilliant introduction to literature!

To Kill a Mockingbird (New Windmills)
To Kill a Mockingbird (New Windmills)
by Harper Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 4 Aug 2007
Harper Lee has a way of explaining things so that this book has a message for everyone. I studied it at GCSE but now 2 years down the line I read it again for enjoyment and found that it gave me a completely different message. Its completely inspirational to all who read it. This story will interest even those who loathe literature.

The Fellowship of the Ring: Fellowship of the Ring Vol 1 (The Lord of the Rings)
by J. R. R. Tolkien

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly i enjoyed it!, 4 Aug 2007
I read this book simply because my friend is in the musical. I have never been interested in 'make believe' worlds full of strange creatures....so i didnt think reading about hobbits and orcs would interest me. But surprisingly i loved it. Middle Earth became very real for me and the story held my interest. Its worth giving it a try! Besides its worth reading about the little hobbit Sam. He is by far my favourite character in literature now!

Spies
Spies
by Michael Frayn

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the paper, 9 July 2007
This review is from: Spies (Paperback)
I found this overly descriptive and a complete bore!!! I hated every waking minute of it! Unfortunately it was one of my A-Level texts and therefore i had to read it. I found the characters annoyingly distant and therefore I was not engaged as a reader. A Level students studying English Literature deserve better than this!!!

The World's Wife
The World's Wife
by Carol Ann Duffy

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite, 9 July 2007
This review is from: The World's Wife (Paperback)
I absolutely love this collection!!!! It consists mainly of the story behind male mythological figures in which Duffy inverts and presents herself as their wife or lover. Or simply female figures with an interesting tale. The brutal language and matter of fact tone make it perfect for female readers who are sick of men!!! A definite must!!!

The First Casualty
The First Casualty
by Ben Elton

5.0 out of 5 stars I really liked it, 9 Feb 2007
This review is from: The First Casualty (Paperback)
I thought this was imaginative. Unlike any other Ben Elton book! A fictional story based on fact. Deffinately worth a read. Some heart ripping ideas....highly emotional.

What I found interesting was the dedication of the book. Dedicated to both grandfathers of Ben Elton who fought on opposite sides of the war.

Regeneration
Regeneration
by Pat Barker

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 9 Feb 2007
This review is from: Regeneration (Paperback)
I read this for my A-Level coursework. It is certainly informative and is loosely based on fact. However I ahve to admit its not a favourite of mine as a a pleasurable read. Not something I would advise for a rainy day. If you are interested in the war or are studying the war then it is a deffinate read. Other than that I wouldnt advise it.

Stepping Out [VHS] [1991]
Stepping Out [VHS] [1991]
VHS
Offered by rdowns33

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 29 Sep 2006
For any dancer this is brilliant!!!!! The characters are cleverly developed, showing dancers of different abilities, shapes and sizes! Liza minelli portrays Mavis who has been let down by the west end - yet finds a new career in teaching dance. Its a must see!

Back Home (Puffin Books)
Back Home (Puffin Books)
by Michelle Magorian

5.0 out of 5 stars By far my favourite book as a child, 19 Feb 2006
I read this book when i was about 10 and I have read it many times since (I am now 17). The charisma of the main charater Rusty is inspirational, and i really enjoyed her bravery and courage. This book will want you to continue reading untill it is finished.
Also try other Michelle Magorian books. A Little Love Song and A Spoonful of Jam, are lovely summer reads... very light and easy to finnish..

Page: 1 | 2