Profile for Andy Craven > Reviews

Knight Rider - The Complete Box Set (2011 Repackage) [DVD] [1982]
Dvd ~ David Hasselhoff
Offered by RUGELEY GAMES

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant..., 27 Jan. 2015
I was lucky enough to get this before Christmas for under £20, which for that price was a steal. The presentation is superb and is a lot smaller than you'd think considering the number of discs included. All episodes are included, the pilot for some reason is on disc 4 rather than disc 1...can't figure out why that is, but no big deal really.

I'm in no position to critique the acting skills of the legend that is the Hoff, but this brings back some great memories and is easy to return to even after you've watched it all.

Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 - UK layout
Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 - UK layout

4.0 out of 5 stars Just be careful..., 27 Jan. 2015
I bought this for two reasons - firstly, I've just got into video editing and found it difficult to use both a keyboard and mouse and thought this would help. Secondly, I've got a HTPC so this also serves as a large remote control. Overall, I'm very pleased with it, really easy to connect with the supplied USB adapter. I'm on Windows 8.1, just slotted the adapter in and bob's your uncle!

I've only given this 4 stars, as the trackpad can be very sensitive at times. On several occasions, I've ended up moving files by accident or loading programmes when I was simply moving the cursor. The problem is that when you get to the end of the trackpad, you have to move your finger/thumb back to the bottom to keep scrolling. The trackpad is sensitive and can easily select a file (as it can sometimes double click when you return your finger/thumb to the bottom of the trackpad), which can then end up being moved when you don't want to!

I've adjusted the sensitivity of the trackpad and it's a lot better, but something to be mindful of. I'm sure a larger keyboard wouldn't suffer the same problems, but I guess that defeats the purpose of buying this then.

The Muvipix.com Guide to Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12: The tools, and how to use them, to make movies on your personal computer using Sony's amazing video editing program
by Steve Grisetti

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but too much..., 27 Jan. 2015
My review might be a bit unfair perhaps, as I guess it's based on my own personal choice of how I like to learn. There's no doubt that everything you need is in here, but that's the problem. By the time I've found the right section, chapter and associated chapters, I could have gone online, found the information and be editing!

If you don't mind sticking your nose in a book and going end-to-end (and believe me, I do enjoy that), this is a great buy if you're wanting to get into video editing. If you're wanting a pick up and show me quickly learning tool, the internet is king here I'm afraid.

12pcs Waxing Polish Wax Foam Sponge Applicator Pads for Clean Cars Vehicle Glass
Offered by Broadfashion

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but good..., 27 Jan. 2015
These really are very good, I'm into my car detailing and nearly paid £5 for two of these from a well known car detailing brand. Don't bother. These do exactly what it says on the tin for considerably less than the big name manufacturers. Delivery wasn't speedy, but they're not coming from the UK so can't moan about that.

Eco Touch Waterless Car Wash Kit
Eco Touch Waterless Car Wash Kit
Offered by Eco Touch UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive..., 27 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Eco Touch Waterless Car Wash Kit
I live in an apartment block and some of my jobsworth neighbours take offence to me using the outdoor tap for car cleaning. So unless I drive to the local jet wash with all of my cleaning products and two buckets, I find it really difficult to clean my car. I thought I'd give this a try and am happy to say it works very well.

I don't mind admitting, I'm one of these annoying blokes that doesn't like anyone touching my car (if the other half closes the door with the glass again, she's in serious trouble!), so was slightly nervous about this product. Wiping away dried on muck from my paintwork disturbs me nearly as much as using a hand car wash or even worse...a garage car wash! But the eco-wash does the job very well and with some good quality microfibres, has not led to any marring or swirling of my paintwork.

It also provides a reasonable level of wax when buffed away, not the same as paste wax of course, or even a quick detailing spray, but it's sufficient to then apply either of these products. There can never be anything to beat a proper two bucket wash and you have to keep up to your car with this. As it's currently winter, this could mean a quick wipe down after every drive but for me, that's still easier than going to the jet wash or arguing with my nosey neighbours. After a long(ish) drive of around 100 miles (50 of those in light rain), I need to go to the jet wash, as the car is too dirty to use this. In summer, once the salt and other muck has gone from the roads, this would be a perfect solution to keep your car looking its best without dragging all of the washing equipment out.

Microfibre Cloths - Pack of 20 Cloths - Large 40cm x 40cm - 10 Blue & 10 Pink - Great for Cleaning Cars, Boats, Kitchens, bathrooms, mirrors etc. Contract Quality Trusted by cleaning professionals- Discounted Cleaning Supplies Everyday Requirement Range
Offered by Discounted Cleaning Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was after., 27 Jan. 2015
The chances are you're looking at these as you're into car detailing. I've been through the various stages of microfibre cloths from paying £1 for 3 at the pound shops to the best part of £20 for 6 cloths from the online car detailing companies. The latter clearly did the job, but I go through microfibres like nobodies business and can't help feeling a bit peeved paying £20 for a handful of cloths.

So I gave these a try thinking if they're good then I've found a bargain and if they're poor, I've not wasted a load of money and can use them for house cleaning duties. I'm pleased to report they're very good. I've used these with several products including waterless eco-wash, quick detailing sprays, glass detailing sprays and paste wax. They're a good size and can be folded into at least 8 sides on each cloth (fold in half twice and then reverse) and I'd say they were around 300gsm, which is plenty for general car detailing.

I can't comment on using them for anything else other than car detailing, but for the price they're only slightly more than the cheap microfibres you get in the pound shops and significantly cheaper, but equivalent quality, to the expensive ones you'd find on car detailing websites. I won't hesitate to buy again.

Black & Decker PAD1200 Auto Flexi Car Vacuum, 12 V
Black & Decker PAD1200 Auto Flexi Car Vacuum, 12 V

5.0 out of 5 stars It's for cars...and it's fantastic!, 27 Jan. 2015
Let's just clear something up before I review this. This is a car hoover. The description might be slightly misleading, as it does make reference to delicate areas like curtains and lampshades, but every other detail on here clearly shows it is for cars only (including the title).

Now that's out of the way, my review is based on using this to vacuum my car using the cigarette lighter power source to do so. First tip is to use this with the engine on, it does increase suction by doing so but more importantly, you won't flatten your battery by having this and the interior lights on draining it. This really is a great car hoover, plenty of suction and easy to store away due to the size. I'd say I had an average amount of dirt in my car (stones and a bit of mud), which disappeared in next to no time using the long nozzle attachment. I find this device works better than the brush for really getting into the dirt that's built up in car mats and near accelerator pedals. It's also thin enough to fit beneath driver/passenger seats and sills, as well as other hard to reach areas.

The brush attachment is very useful for the dashboard and I found it less harsh on leather/alcantara than the nozzle attachment. The power lead wraps around the vacuum itself, as does the hose which also extends to a size that is perfectly fine for car vacuuming. A handy storage bag is included, which zips up and fits the tools in. If you have heavily soiled carpets/seats/mats, this vacuum won't remove that but no vacuum would I'm afraid - your carpets/seats/mats need professionally cleaning and you can then maintain that look with this device. Overall, possibly the best £40 I've spent on Amazon and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this.

Le Mans [Blu-ray] [1971]
Le Mans [Blu-ray] [1971]
Dvd ~ Steve McQueen

5.0 out of 5 stars McQueen at his best..., 8 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Le Mans [Blu-ray] [1971] (Blu-ray)
Yes alright, McQueen is my hero so I'm biased. I'm also a massive petrolhead so I was always going to love this. The great thing about the blu-ray is the 'making of' feature, with Steve's son giving some really interesting background on how it was filmed. If you're not really into cars or racing, you probably wouldn't enjoy it as much but I'd say it's still worth a watch.

WD My Book 4 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Backup
WD My Book 4 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Backup

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good..., 8 Sept. 2014
I recently invested in the WD My Cloud, as I'm transferring all my movies into my xbmc media centre. As the transfer takes time, I'd be rather miffed if for any reason that device failed and I had to do it all again. So I also invested in the My Book hard drive to back up all my files. It's dead easy to set up, plug into mains and then the USB on your computer and away you go really. I did install the WD Smartware - this allows you to set up the frequency of your back ups, but not much use for me I don't think. I'm wanting to use the My Cloud as the source device and copy the data from that to the My Book. The software doesn't seek to recognise the My Cloud as a source device, but for some reason would allow me to back up to that...hmmmmm.

Perhaps it's just me that's doing something wrong and perhaps my circumstances of wanting to back up from a NAS device is uncommon, but I've had to resort to drag and drop. That's fine for me, as I can copy my file structure in the NAS to the My Book so no biggy. I would say that the software does seem very easy to use if you're wanting to back up from your computer to the device. For the cash, £120 is cheap for 4TB...I'd rather pay that than lose all my data.

Hama Monopod Star 78 Mono
Hama Monopod Star 78 Mono

5.0 out of 5 stars If in doubt, don't be..., 8 Sept. 2014
I take most of my pictures and videos at motorsport events and thought I'd try this after being less than impressed with the tripod I bought. The tripod wasn't high enough, unstable and a faff to set up when needed. This has literally transformed my video quality and my pictures are certainly sharper. The monopod is small when not extended (about 60cm) and comes with a good carry bag too. If this isn't high enough for you when fully extended, just buy a stepladder instead. The top mount seemed a bit unstable at first when attaching my Sony bridge camera, but is absolutely fine when in use.

The fact this monopod has a mount that allows you to pan means it is brilliant for video capture. With a good quality camera and some fairly basic editing skills, my videos now look smooth and for an amateur, quite professional. The base is flat but pivots around the monopod meaning it's quick and easy to change direction when needed. The quick release plate is just that too. For the cash, possibly the best item I've bought from Amazon.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3