Profile for Andy Craven > Reviews

Le Mans [Blu-ray] [1971]
Le Mans [Blu-ray] [1971]
Dvd ~ Steve McQueen

5.0 out of 5 stars McQueen at his best..., 8 Sep 2014
This review is from: Le Mans [Blu-ray] [1971] (Blu-ray)
Yes alright, McQueen is my hero so I'm biased. I'm also a massive petrolhead so I was always going to love this. The great thing about the blu-ray is the 'making of' feature, with Steve's son giving some really interesting background on how it was filmed. If you're not really into cars or racing, you probably wouldn't enjoy it as much but I'd say it's still worth a watch.

WD My Book 4 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Backup
WD My Book 4 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Backup

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good..., 8 Sep 2014
I recently invested in the WD My Cloud, as I'm transferring all my movies into my xbmc media centre. As the transfer takes time, I'd be rather miffed if for any reason that device failed and I had to do it all again. So I also invested in the My Book hard drive to back up all my files. It's dead easy to set up, plug into mains and then the USB on your computer and away you go really. I did install the WD Smartware - this allows you to set up the frequency of your back ups, but not much use for me I don't think. I'm wanting to use the My Cloud as the source device and copy the data from that to the My Book. The software doesn't seek to recognise the My Cloud as a source device, but for some reason would allow me to back up to that...hmmmmm.

Perhaps it's just me that's doing something wrong and perhaps my circumstances of wanting to back up from a NAS device is uncommon, but I've had to resort to drag and drop. That's fine for me, as I can copy my file structure in the NAS to the My Book so no biggy. I would say that the software does seem very easy to use if you're wanting to back up from your computer to the device. For the cash, £120 is cheap for 4TB...I'd rather pay that than lose all my data.

Hama Monopod Star 78 Mono
Hama Monopod Star 78 Mono

5.0 out of 5 stars If in doubt, don't be..., 8 Sep 2014
I take most of my pictures and videos at motorsport events and thought I'd try this after being less than impressed with the tripod I bought. The tripod wasn't high enough, unstable and a faff to set up when needed. This has literally transformed my video quality and my pictures are certainly sharper. The monopod is small when not extended (about 60cm) and comes with a good carry bag too. If this isn't high enough for you when fully extended, just buy a stepladder instead. The top mount seemed a bit unstable at first when attaching my Sony bridge camera, but is absolutely fine when in use.

The fact this monopod has a mount that allows you to pan means it is brilliant for video capture. With a good quality camera and some fairly basic editing skills, my videos now look smooth and for an amateur, quite professional. The base is flat but pivots around the monopod meaning it's quick and easy to change direction when needed. The quick release plate is just that too. For the cash, possibly the best item I've bought from Amazon.

GRID: Autosport (PC DVD)
GRID: Autosport (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it..., 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: GRID: Autosport (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I'm not much of a gamer these days (I own no consoles), but am partial to a good driving game. I've never actually used a PC to play games, but thought I'd give it a try and opted for Grid Autosport. I'm on Windows 8.1, slotted the disc in and let it sort itself out. There was an update released on the 30th July 2014, which needed to install before I could play, but wouldn't install correctly. I ended up having to turn off the real-time scanning on my security sfotware for this to install and then turn it on again.

There are 5 classes of racing in the game, personally I find the open wheel class the best and most realistic. This is mainly due to the camera angle available in the cockpit, which is far better than the cockpit angle in the other classes. The gameplay is very good, handling is very realistic and the closeness of the racing means you won't blast your way to the front very easily. Learning the circuits, braking points and racing line are the only way you'll progress. I've done around 20 races so far, 2 poles and 2 wins, these coming on circuits I know already.

My PC more than meets the minimum requirements of the game, but I have found it to be a bit jumpy when there's a lot happening on screen, such as at the beginning of a race or a battle involving several cars. It's not at the point of stuttering, but is nowhere near as smooth as what I've seen on XBox, PS4 etc. Overall, a very good game and one to keep you coming back time and time again.

DURAGADGET Sturdy And Durable Anti-Shake Window Suction Mount For Polaroid XS7, XS9, XS20, XS80 & XS100
Offered by GADGETPLUSUK

4.0 out of 5 stars but it had terrible vibration noise when attached to the rear window of ..., 17 July 2014
I'd previously bought another suction mount for my XS100, but it had terrible vibration noise when attached to the rear window of my car. The Duragadget item has lots of adjustability, but even attached to my drivers side window there is still vibration that is audible on playback.

Resident: Two Years of Oakenfold at Cream
Resident: Two Years of Oakenfold at Cream

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish dance music was still this good..., 9 July 2014
Lost this when my iTunes threw a wobbler, so was pleased I managed to find it at a reasonable price. Quite simply, the best trance album of the 90's, 00's and still now.

The Platinum Collection (3LP White Vinyl Gatefold Set) [VINYL]
The Platinum Collection (3LP White Vinyl Gatefold Set) [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 9 July 2014
This is a great album, really good quality heavyweight white vinyl and lovely artwork and notes. No point reviewing the album itself, we all know the songs!

CANNIBAL FEROX (OMPST 1981) [VINYL]
CANNIBAL FEROX (OMPST 1981) [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars At last..., 9 July 2014
An all-time classic film and I jumped at the chance to get the soundtrack on vinyl. It's a great package, lots of notes and the audio quality is superb. I don't actually play it much, as it takes pride of place in a vinyl frame!

Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum Suite 12 (PC)
Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum Suite 12 (PC)
Offered by Technology Geek's

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot to learn...but impressive, 9 July 2014
I've recently purchased a Polaroid XS100 action camera, as well as a Sony DSC-HX300 bridge camera. I've been getting some great videos and pictures, but really wanted a way to join some of them together and make my own movies, either for upload to YouTube or to burn to blu-ray for friends and family. I was using Windows Movie Maker, but it's very limited in what you can do, although is very easy to use. I spent quite a while researching video editing software and eventually opted for this based on the user reviews here on Amazon primarily. I've never used video editing software before, so a lot of the technical detail was way over my head...just thought I'd give it a try. So, I'm not technical by any means and a complete novice to this stuff.

Installation was simple, slot the disc in, enter the licence key and you're up and running (I'm on Windows 8 and had no problems here). Then comes the hard bit, figuring out what everything does! There's a really helpful 'show me' feature on the software itself, that can be used as you go along. That said, I spent quite a while on YouTube watching video tutorials. The Sony creative website also has tutorials and is worth checking out. I picked up some general tips from the tutorials and just got straight into it. Based on my (fairly) limited use, a simple edit is actually very straightforward really. Create a new project, select the video(s) you want from the one(s) in your library and then add to the video timeline. This automatically places the audio from the video in the timeline (which is beneath the video timeline) and away you go. So far, I've been able to trim start and end points, split a video (for footage I don't want in the final edit) and attach it back to the main footage. Of course, there's a lot more to it than just that such as whether you want to match the output to the original video source, automatically join videos together etc. but I found this through the video tutorials.

The most daunting thing initially are the sheer amount of features available to you, including titles, colour correction, audio correction and pan/zoom to name but a few. I'd recommend checking out some tutorials to understand the basics, but after that just get involved! If you make a hash of it, you make a hash of it. You can either undo the changes you've made if you do go wrong, or just start again if it's really terrible! There's a preview window that again, with a bit of help from tutorials will make a big difference to how you begin, continue and then complete the editing process. It's probably taken me a few hours of tutorials to get the basics and a similar amount of time to actually get my head around how these operate in practice. There's a LOT more to learn with this software, but don't be put off by this. It's very impressive and I'd say if I can get a grasp of it, most people should be able to as well.

Hama Star 75 Tripod With free Carry Case
Hama Star 75 Tripod With free Carry Case
Offered by Office Nerd

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price..., 4 July 2014
I'm a relative novice to photography, but having invested in a Sony DSC-HX300 wanted a tripod to make the most of the camera. As I'm inexperienced, I didn't want to spend a fortune on a tripod and this seemed to fit the bill. It's provided with a carry case and the tripod itself is light enough to carry about. There's a spirit level attached to the tripod, as well as a fairly sturdy quick release mount. The tripod itself extends to 125cm with three adjustable parts on each of the legs.

It's sturdy enough for my camera, although the bottom part of the legs are a bit flimsy. For the price, I have no complaints about it. I'm sure there are sturdier tripods out there, but it's all relative really. If you're a serious photographer, the chances are you'll have equipment worth a lot more than my camera, so wouldn't spend £12 on a tripod for it!

Page: 1 | 2