Profile for Andy Craven > Reviews

(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Micromuff Skinny Wind Muffler
Micromuff Skinny Wind Muffler
Offered by CameraKing (Shipping from UK)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply attach the fur bit on the Velcro and you’re good to go, 7 April 2015
I’m starting to get a grip of recording video with my Sony DSC-HX300, but the type of footage I shoot is normally outdoors in open spaces (motorsports), which often results in lots of wind noise. I should really have bought a camera with an external mic input, but I didn’t so I was looking for a way of reducing wind noise with what I’ve got. I stumbled across this item and whilst the price seems high the results justify it. You basically get a small piece of fur and some Velcro, which depending on your camera, might need a bit of a chop to get it to fit over your camera mic. Simply attach the fur bit on the Velcro and you’re good to go.

I’ve tested this in some fairly blustery conditions and am really impressed with the performance. It cuts out the majority of the wind noise, whilst still picking up the audio you’re trying to capture. Remember, your camera mic is unlikely to be of great quality to begin with so this won’t suddenly transform your audio into broadcast quality, but will certainly improve it to a much better standard. Overall, a good item albeit slightly high in price.

SJCAM Multi-function SJ4000 HD 1080P Waterproof Digital Video Recorder DVR Camcorder, 12 Mega pixel, 170° HD wide-angle, Multi Colors, with Waterproof Case Multiple Mounts (Black)
Offered by Mini Kitty

4.0 out of 5 stars For the money...amazing, 7 April 2015
I’d been looking at this camera for a while, but eventually bit the bullet and bought a GoPro. Why? I needed a camera with an external mic and also wanted 1080 at 50 fps (frames per second) for the best possible image. The SJ4000 unfortunately offers neither, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a viable alternative to a GoPro. I ended up buying one of these from a well-known auction site without wi-fi for the bargain price of less than £40 and use it as my ‘doesn’t matter’ camera. It gets chucked on my mountain bike (where I don’t need an external mic or 50fps) and any other activity where if it got damaged or lost it wouldn’t matter.

All of the accessories I have for my GoPro fit the SJ4000 and if I’m honest, there is little difference in image quality when I shoot in 1080 30fps on the GoPro. There is perhaps a noticeable difference in low light capability, the GoPro is able to handle low light conditions better than the SJ4000. I use Sony Movie Studio as my editing software though, so a quick adjustment and the SJ4000 image quality is on par with the GoPro. Which I guess gets me to the crux of my review.

If you’re just wanting a camera to record some random footage to watch back through your computer or TV this is a perfect camera for you. To spend at least £300 on a GoPro if this is all you’ll be doing would be madness. But the real fun in these kind of cameras is editing your footage together to transform the random footage you’ve shot into something you, family and friends will want to watch again and again. It all depends on what type of footage you’ll be shooting as to how far down the line you go with accessories, software and ultimately, the quality of the image and therefore the performance of the camera.

I’d say for family related footage (holidays, days out etc.) and similar activities, this is a great camera and the price is almost worth it just to have an experiment with the view of maybe upgrading at a later stage. Remember, this is a £40 camera and whilst the image quality punches well above the price tag, the features and ultimate image quality reflects that price. Overall, a great camera for the price and only held back on features and performance dependent on what type of footage you’ll be shooting.

SanDisk SDSDQXN-032G-FFPA Extreme microSDHC UHS-I Class 10 U3 Memory Card up to 60 MB/s read FFP - 32 GB

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 30 Mar. 2015
I use these cards in my pair of GoPro Hero 3+ Silvers to capture full HD at 50fps footage – they’re fantastic. I’ve had no problems with video footage capture and the transfer time to computer is also very good too. For those interested, 20 minutes of video with the above GoPro settings works out around 4gb of data so for what I film, didn’t feel the need to go for a 64gb card. These cards are recommended by GoPro on their site, which was the reason I went for them but have also bought a few more for my Sony DSC-HX300 bridge camera.

Smatree® High Capacity Li-Polymer Battery (2-Pack) 1290mAH and Rapid Dual Charger Kit Including USB Cord and Car Adapter with Wall Charger+European Plug+UK Plug+ US Plug for GoPro® HERO3,HERO3+ Replacement GoPro AHDBT-201, AHDBT-301, AHDBT-302, AHBBP-301, ACARC-001, AWALC-001
Offered by Kumu-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Just get it bought..., 30 Mar. 2015
I’m amazed this item isn’t constantly out of stock here. My GoPro habit is getting worse. What started out as a bit of an experiment with one camera has led to the purchase of a second, as well as far too many accessories. Whilst the standard GoPro battery is good, having additional batteries just makes life so much easier. The fact you also get a proper wall charger, in-car charger and various plug adaptors is fantastic, particularly at this price. The two batteries supplied are a higher capacity than the standard GoPro battery so your recording time also benefits.

I was a bit dubious about buying non-official GoPro merchandise, but having spent some time on a few forums it seems that these are THE must have accessory and are widely used. I’ve had no problems at all using these in my Hero 3+ Silver and can now charge these two batteries and one of my GoPro’s at the same time. I film a lot in and out of my car, so the in-car adaptor is really useful too. If you’re in any doubt about this, don’t be – it’s the best accessory I’ve bought.

Ex-Pro® GoPro Storage Case Hero, 2, 3, 3+, 4 Shockproof Portable Storage protection case for Camera & Accessories - Large
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of accessories? This is what you need..., 30 Mar. 2015
I’d previously bought the Smatree Black 6.8" x2.7" x5" case from here, which is a great case…but as my accessories grew it proved to be far too small. If like me, you’ve ended up with suction cups, external microphones, additional batteries and now even the headstrap (how my other half laughed when I showed her that), this is the case for you. It’s got 3 main compartments in the case, which will fit a GoPro with housing, additional housing (or LCD/floaty backback) and most importantly for me, a very good sized compartment for leads, mounts and headstraps.

There’s also compartments for additional screws, adhesive mounts and I’d arguably say any GoPro accessory you’ve got. The lid of the case has a mesh compartment although this is not zipped, which is a shame as it would be useful for cables. I was surprised at the price for cases of this size with some approaching nearly £50, so for the price and quality of this case I’m very pleased. If you’ve got an ever increasing number of accessories, this is the best priced case I’ve seen and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

Smatree® SmaCase G75- Small Gopro Case for Gopro Hero 4, 3+, 3, 2, 1 and Accessories (6.8" x2.7" x5") - Travel & Household Case with Excellent Cut EVA Foam Interior - Perfect Protection for Gopro Camera- Black & Red
Offered by Kumu-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Small but good..., 17 Mar. 2015
I bought this shortly after buying my GoPro for the main purpose of protecting it whilst transporting the camera and when it’s not in use. It’s a solid case and certainly does protect the camera. There’s enough space for the camera with either the skeleton or waterproof housing to be stored, a couple of spare batteries, 2 compartments that hold larger items (wi-fi remote, backdoors) and a useful storage compartment with zip for leads.

Of course I knew the size of the case when purchasing, but as you begin to use the camera for more ingenious shots your accessories also begin to quickly mount up. So I’ve found myself not being able to keep all of my accessories in this case and have had to buy another larger case from Amazon. If you’ve only got one or two mounts and generally use your GoPro for recording similar footage each time, this is a great case at a great price. If you have several mounts and various leads such as external microphones, USB chargers, HDMI cable etc. and want it all stored in one neat case, you’ll need to go for a bigger case.

Rycote 065514 Universal Lavalier Windjammer for Microphone - Black
Rycote 065514 Universal Lavalier Windjammer for Microphone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Mar. 2015
I bought this for my GoPro (Hero 3+ Silver), as I use an external lavalier microphone to record footage of my car. In the package there’s a foam sleeve that fits tightly on your microphone and then place the windjammer on top. The windjammer feels secure on the microphone, I’ve tested this on the motorway at national speeds and the windjammer didn’t disappear. The audio is greatly improved with the windjammer, particularly at lower speeds where the normal hissing and crackling noises are vastly reduced. So for footage filmed at higher than normal speeds, I’d recommend this no question.

I’ve also used it when recording footage stationary such as at motorsport events, which again is a huge improvement compared to using a lavalier microphone without the windjammer. Unless you’ve got some serious budget to play with, you’re never going to eliminate the wind noise but for the price, this does the job well. It might seem pricey for what it is, but you know it fits and does the job well.

GoPro HERO3+ Silver Edition Camera/Camcorder
GoPro HERO3+ Silver Edition Camera/Camcorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Undecided between a Hero4 and this? Have a read..., 26 Feb. 2015
Given the Hero4 model has been out for a couple of months now, I’m guessing you’re looking at the 3+ because like me, you’re not sure whether to stump up the extra cash. I’m a self-confessed gadget geek and not going for the latest model normally doesn’t sit right with me. I only use the GoPro for filming so the still image quality was something of no concern to me. My main requirement was that the camera filmed in 1080 at either 30fps (frames per second) or 60fps to ensure I had a really good image. I also needed an external microphone jack so I could get good quality audio. The 3+ meets these requirements so that was my starting point.

Looking at the Hero4 Silver, the built-in touch display was no use to me, as the 3+ has wi-fi built-in – this means I can view the camera angle and change settings through the GoPro app on my iPhone. The Hero4 Silver also shoots in 4k, which if you’re wanting to future proof could mean it’s a smarter investment. But, I won’t be getting a 4k TV for a long time and decided I wasn’t willing to wait delaying the purchase of a GoPro until I get a 4k TV. Both the Hero4 Silver and Black have adjustable settings for ISO, exposure, colour and an improved processor, which for me was the biggest issue I had in choosing a 3+ over a Hero4.

I use my GoPro to film my car both inside and outside and that’s it. I don’t jump out of planes, ski, board, or any other wild activities. I’m also certainly not a professional and chances are would only end up making my videos look worse playing about with the adjustable settings on the Hero4. 1080 at 60fps is good enough for me was what I thought in the end. And I think I made the right decision. The Hero3+ is amazing in good lighting conditions and terrible in low light conditions. And I do mean terrible. If you do a lot of shooting in low light this is not the camera for you, my videos were full of motion blur, dull and no amount of post-production would sort it out. I’ve still gone with 5 stars for this because low light conditions are not an issue for me.

Setting up the built-in wi-fi to create a network for the GoPro app is a doddle, as is using the camera itself to video. Power on, press the wi-fi (if you want to check angle or change settings) and press record, that’s it. The real fun comes in editing your videos and have to say, the GoPro Studio is very easy to use, producing great quality edits. The Hero3+ comes with the waterproof housing, which means the camera is just that but has a big impact on audio quality. I needed the skeleton housing, which has a gap in the casing to attach a USB so you can charge whilst using, or as in my case, attach the external mic. I also bought the official GoPro suction mount, but will eventually buy the mounts for my pushbike too.

So am I happy with not spending the extra £50 for the Hero 4 Silver or the extra £120 for the Hero4 Black? Yes. GoPro say that the Hero4 cameras are aimed at professionals, which I know what they mean but think this is a bit misleading. Unless you’re shooting for an actual film that will be released in the mainstream, the Hero3+ produces an image quality that is staggering. My folks still can’t believe something so small can produce such crisp quality. Apologies for the lengthy review, but hopefully will help those undecided between this and a Hero4 before parting with their hard earned.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2015 4:01 PM BST

Gliptone Leather Cleaner & Conditioner 250ml Complete Car Seat Kit
Gliptone Leather Cleaner & Conditioner 250ml Complete Car Seat Kit
Offered by Pound General

5.0 out of 5 stars The best..., 23 Feb. 2015
I’ve tried several different leather cleaners and conditioners and this is hands down, the best one. The leather in my car has always been kept clean so I wasn’t expecting this to lift off a significant amount of dirt…and it didn’t. But, the longevity of the product and the smell it produces is better than anything else I’ve tried. The conditioner in particular really does seem to soak into the leather and give it that new look, as well as having that ‘new leather’ smell, although be warned it can be quite overpowering for the first few days.

As both the cleaner and conditioner are gel based, this is a real bonus for me due to my car also having alcantara inserts on the seat. As this stuff is thick, I can take care and ensure it doesn’t run onto the alcantara, which has been a problem with some other leather treatments I’ve previously used. Postage and packaging was quick and had great service from the seller.

Kent KCQ9240 Two Sponge Finger Applicator Mitts
Kent KCQ9240 Two Sponge Finger Applicator Mitts

3.0 out of 5 stars No good for me..., 23 Feb. 2015
I bought these to try and save my fingers and knuckles from being shredded to bits when applying wax to the wheels on my car. A well-known detailing manufacturer also makes these, but at a much higher price so thought I’d give these a whirl. They’re very thick and in fairness, the wheels on my car are of such a design that it’s virtually impossible to apply wax to them so no good for me. I’m not sure why you’d use these for waxing the car itself either, as a circular pad would be better suited. I’m perhaps being a bit harsh, if you’ve got wheels with 5 or 6 spokes these would be very useful but if your wheels are multi-spoked, get a good supply of plasters and be ready for your hands to hurt.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4