Profile for David Reid > Reviews

Content by David Reid

David Reid (Míjas, Málaga, Spain.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
A Visual Guide to Bible Events: Fascinating Insights into Where They Happened and Why
by James C. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent resource, 24 July 2010
A rather nice, well-produced book, in attractive coffee table format with quality binding. Very informative regarding the background to familiar Bible passages. I've got several similar books but still found some new aspects in this one. Highly recommended

Anno 1701 (PC DVD)
Anno 1701 (PC DVD)

1.0 out of 5 stars would have been nice if it worked, 24 July 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Anno 1701 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
This game is absolutely unique!! It did something no other game has ever done to my PC--and I have played and installed scores of games in the last 20 years--it totally crashed my computer. And I mean TOTALLY. It installed normally but when I actually went to run it I experienced an absolute, power-off shutdown. ABSOLUTE!! It was as if the mains power had gone off. It also tripped the UPS I have guarding my system from power-outs.
I have had freezes in the past; I've seen faults in games. But never have I experienced such a violent, intollerant reaction by my machine. It was as though my PC vomited it up immediately!!
The worst is that it was sold by an independent seller and, as such, if they tell me that it works on their machine I will only get a 75% refund on the original cost and lose the return postage I just forked out. Since it was sent from the UK to Spain, my return mailing charge was almost as much as the game. I will be lucky to get much, if anything, back.
Buyer beware.
P.S. This was the game of the year double pack, which includes the expansion pack about the sunken Dragon.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2010 10:29 PM BST

Northern Exposure - Season 1 [DVD]
Northern Exposure - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rob Morrow|John Corbett
Offered by Helgy

1.0 out of 5 stars another one for the charity shop, 26 Dec. 2009
O Dear,
another blunder. I really am amazed that anyone could enjoy watching this garbage, or give it any stars at all. (My solitary star was forced upon me against my will by Amazon's system!) Just the first episode was enough to convince me I'd made a big mistake in buying it. Is it just me, or are American soaps all written by the same guy? (Or even churned out by a computer program?)
I did watch two more episodes, but it was glaringly obvious that it must be donated to the charity shop. Perhaps some sad character will buy it and help the needy?
How can I best describe this? The star, Rob Morrow is more or less OK, but he lives in a town populated by plastic characters who make you want to cry in frustration at their one-dimensional lives. The acting of most of the supporting cast is wooden at best. One favourable reviewer even mentioned how happy they were to see the moose again!! Come to think of it, that animal was the most natural actor of all the supporting cast!!!
I can't remember even one laugh it inspired, (which is remarkable, since it's meant to be a comedy).
I think the best description I can come up with is that it's about as nourishing for the brain as a large plate of marshmallows is for the body. Thank God I never bought the whole boxset--that would be enough to make me weep for a month.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2012 1:00 PM BST

Neville's Island [DVD] [1998] [2004]
Neville's Island [DVD] [1998] [2004]
Dvd ~ Sylvia Syms
Offered by EliteDigital UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear, Martin!!, 23 May 2009
I'm afraid this is another one to give to the charity shop. A very strange tale, which appeared to promise some laughs, but never really delivered. Do we really want to be stuck on an island with such sad characters? It was only on the strength of (a very young) Martin Clunes that I bought this. He did his best, but even he couldn't rescue it.
I'm glad for him that he has now gone far beyond this mediocre material and produced some good work, such as Doc. Martin. I'm looking forward to him as the new Reggie Perrin too.
Best consign this to oblivion. DO NOT WASTE EITHER YOUR MONEY OR AN HOUR AND A HALF ON THIS. YOU WILL BE LEFT POORER IN POCKET AND IN SOUL.

Enemy At The Door - Series 1 - Complete [DVD]
Enemy At The Door - Series 1 - Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alfred Burke
Offered by Choice DVDs & Books

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but............, 23 May 2009
A rather good concept and quite well executed. Small budget, but this doesn't spoil it. There were several perfectly adequate outdoor scenes when necessary. I'm no expert on uniforms or equipment, but they looked the part.
You got to know the characters well, and they were generally quite believable but, on the down side, some of the islanders' acting was a bit amateur in places. The German characters also seemed somewhat false because they consistently spoke such flawless English. I think it's always so much better when they talk in German with sub-titles, or at least in heavily-accented or awkwardly-phrased English. That way they come across in a more realistic way; as authentically villainous.
Once I began watching, I settled down into it, but the real challenge came earlier--at the moment of truth---whether to choose to make this my evening's entertainment or not. Other DVD's usually appealed more.
It just somehow seemed as though I had to WORK my way through watching it, to get a chore done, rather than thoroughly enjoy myself. The thought of buying part 2 and having another several evenings spent on it was not an attractive prospect. Some say series 2 is grimmer, more realistic. Well, I don't think I'll ever discover that for myself.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2010 12:16 PM GMT

Six Days of War: June 1967 and the Making of the Modern Middle East
Six Days of War: June 1967 and the Making of the Modern Middle East
by Michael B. Oren

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 23 May 2009
Thoroughly enjoyable--hard to put down. He has the unusual combination of the depth of a serious historian perfectly combined with the story-telling ability of an accomplished novelist.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2010 2:42 PM BST

Staggered [DVD] [1994]
Staggered [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ Martin Clunes
Offered by Films and Figures (Free Recorded Delivery On All Orders)

2.0 out of 5 stars Raised a couple of weak half-smiles, 29 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Staggered [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
Well, those who said it was, "Hilarious", "A sparkling comedy" and "Packed with laughs" should be prosecuted under the Trades Description Act. It is a very weak film, only saved by a credible performance from a very young-looking Martin Clunes. It rather reminded me of John Cleese's "Clockwise", (which was also quite a disappointment), but didn't even rise to that level.
It had a couple of semi-amusing moments, (the Mother-in-Law from hell; the cop running into a lamppost) but to be honest, this is one "as new" "only watched once" DVD which we'll be giving to the charity shop. Failing that, the disk could be used to scare off birds, in the garden. Either way, it will never see the inside of our PC again. Buyer beware.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2014 1:04 PM BST

Holman book of biblical charts, maps, and reconstructions
Holman book of biblical charts, maps, and reconstructions
by Marsha Ellis Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars A poor relative of their Bible Atlas, 11 May 2008
After getting the FIRST CLASS Holman Bible Atlas, (See my review), I must say I found this rather disappointing. It's not that what's in it is bad, but rather insipid. It could have been so, so much better. I find I virtually never turn to it and the reconstructions in particular are VERY limited, with uninspiring & unrealistic artwork. A large dose of immagination & creativity would have been necessary to make a worthwhile reference book of this sort. Unfortunately it's conspicuously absent. It's rather a shame because quite a lot of work obviously went into it, but it never really "happens".
Look elsewhere if you want excellence. I recommend you start with the Holman Bible Atlas, which is everything this should have been and lots more!!!
If it's reconstructions you want, there is an EXCELLENT book published by Carta, Jerusalem called, "Carta's Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Holy Temple in Jerusalem". (ISBN 966 220 530 3). (You can buy online from them). It is written from a Jewish perspective and covers both Solomon's Temple and the Second Temple of Jesus' day. As an accurate source book and for good artwork it's second to none. It's a lovely coffee table size book, 270 pages and PACKED with great paintings & useful photos. And if you happen to be in Jerusalem you can buy it in the Temple Institute, located just near the Western Wall, which is a GREAT tour. You see all the priestly garments and implements being prepared for restored Jewish Temple worship--all of which feature in this book, since it was written by their founder!

HOLMAN BIBLE ATLAS (Broadman & Holman Reference)
HOLMAN BIBLE ATLAS (Broadman & Holman Reference)
by THOMAS V BRISCO

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely first class, 11 May 2008
I have to agree with the other reviewer on this. I have several similar works but this is the one I always turn to. I am staggered at the quality here-I wish my other books were just half as good. I could go on and on, but just get it. You cannot fail to be impressed. And it's such a low price too. At 3 or 4 times as expensive one would still not feel hard done by. I wish I had 10 stars to award it!!
The scholarship is sound & conservative; the quality of the maps & photos is excellent also. Come on--what more could you ask for?????

Yeshua: A Guide to the Real Jesus and the Original Church
Yeshua: A Guide to the Real Jesus and the Original Church
by Ron Moseley

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, sloppy writing with schoolboy howler errors., 27 July 2007
This book comes with glowing endorsements from a number of serious, heavyweight scholars. Apart from the generous praise of these men, many of whom I respect highly, the author also has some impressive credentials himself. Consequently, as someone highly sympathetic to this genre, and having toured Israel a few times, I approached it expecting to be greatly blessed. I must say that although the majority of the material is helpful, there were several aspects of this book which left me frustrated and disappointed.

Firstly, it appeared that the author was merely quoting other people's scholarship. (I know we are all the product of multiple influences, but I couldn't help feeling that he hadn't contributed a single original thought anywhere in the book.A possible exception is page 24. See below.
This is a strange impression to get; I can't recall ever having felt the same about any other book). Perhaps this is why the other scholars praised him so highly; did they recognise their own material? The end result was that I couldn't take him seriously as an authority in his own right--just someone parroting the opinions of others.

Secondly, there were some awful blunders which ANY competent scholar should have weeded out in the reviewing stage--(if they ever read it in the first place). For example, on p. 24, he makes the claim that the apostle John was from a priestly family, based on Jn. 18: 15. All this says is that, "this disciple was KNOWN to the high priest." (He might just have been the fish delivery man for all we know!!). On this flimsy foundation he makes several foolish claims. Firstly this was why John let Peter go into Jesus' tomb first on the morning of the Resurrection, so as not to be defiled by a dead body. But next comes an absurd error based on Acts 4: 6, which he links to St. John also. It says, "Annas the high priest was there, and so were Caiaphas, JOHN, Alexander and the other men of the high priest's family." To the author this constitutes "proof" that the apostle John was of the high priest's circle. HOWEVER, if he'd bothered to read on, THE NEXT VERSE SAYS, "They had Peter and JOHN brought before them and began to question them." OBVIOUSLY, THIS ARISTOCRATIC PRIESTLY INQUISITOR JOHN OF VERSE 6 WAS NOT THE HUMBLE FISHERMAN JOHN BEING INTERROGATED BY HIM IN V. 7!!!!! John was a common name in the first century. When I read such massive blunders it removes all confidence in this man's scholarship. How he got all those letters after his name is a mystery to me.

Thirdly, sloppy handling of detail. On page 8 he talks of the Second Jewish War, but links the flight of the Christian community to Pella with that war, in 132 - 135 AD. It's not until page 69 that he corrects this error, rightly placing it in the First Jewish War of 66 - 70 AD.

Fourthly, what really bothered me was what I see as a dreadful theological statement on pages 36 -37. I quote, "The third misconception is the idea that New Testament believers have a "Better covenant" than God's Law. The passages from Hebrews, where this expression appears, are discussing the sacrificial system only, that is better in Christ, as God's Lamb, as opposed to a literal lamb. THE MANIFESTATION IS BETTER AND HAS CHANGED, BUT THE COVENANT ITSELF REMAINS THE SAME".
How can anyone claim that the New Covenant is THE SAME as the Old Covenant????? Hebrews clearly states that "By calling this covenant "New," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear." Heb. 8: 13. No amount of semantics can twist the Bible into saying what he claims it says.
"For if there had been nothing wrong with that FIRST covenant, no place would have been sought for ANOTHER. But God found fault with the people and said : "The time is coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a NEW covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah. IT WILL NOT BE LIKE the covenant I made with their forefathers when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt." (Heb. 8: 7 - 9). WHAT COULD BE CLEARER?' THEY ARE TWO DISTINCT COVENANTS.
I don't dispute for a moment that it is the same thrice holy God Who makes both covenants with His people--and that His holy attributes and standards change not. But, as just one example of many differences, the priesthood has changed in the New Covenant--this alone tells us that the Mosaic system has passed away. The writer to the Hebrews makes this crystal clear--that Jesus was not of the Levitical priesthood, but rather in the order of Melchizedek. If the Old Covenant were still in place, Jesus, coming from the tribe of Judah as He did, would be disqualified to act as our great High Priest.

Fifthly, he totally fails to distinguish between the LAW OF GOD as a general revelation of His nature and standards, and the LAW OF MOSES, the Covenant made with Israel on Sinai. Several passages are confusing and misleading when this vital distinction is lacking.

I could go on but I don't want to be reminded of all the other irritations of this book--like the annoying writing style and how the serious, scholarly tone of the review questions at the end of each chapter seem ridiculous in the light of its errors. (I did BEGIN to fill them in--honest!).

I probably sound sour, fault-finding and critical, please excuse this. But this is not a good book and I found myself filling its margins with many irate protests. And please understand that I am highly sympathetic to this line of teaching in general. It's just that this is not a good example of the genre. There are far better choices one could make.
To be fair, the second half of the book was far better. He confines himself to a summary of the teachings of the Pharisees, which was quite helpful. I enjoyed that half far more. But even then, after seeing his poor scholarship previously, I found myself wondering, "Can I trust this as an authoritative source?"
Really 2 and 1/2 stars is the best I can give. Save your pennies for other writings, which won't drive you to distraction with their sloppy writing style, factual errors and schoolboy blunders.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2015 2:13 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4