Profile for L Weale > Reviews

Content by L Weale

L Weale
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Merrell Terran Cross  Women's Outdoor Sandals  J21790  Black, 7 UK (40 EU)
Merrell Terran Cross Women's Outdoor Sandals J21790 Black, 7 UK (40 EU)

3.0 out of 5 stars Merrell walking sandals, 25 Aug. 2015
I have several pairs of Merrell outdoor sandals, which is why I thought I would try these. I sent these back. I thought they looked nice and the footbed was comfortable, about the right length and wide enough. I didn't like the fact that the back of the heel isn't adjustable - I hadn't realised that I find that a good feature in my other sandals until I tried these. I found the placement of the second (fabric) strap tight and awkward around my little toe. I'm wary of the fabric straps on Merrell sandals, as they don't stretch as quickly as the leather straps and I often spend a while with blisters while my feet and the shoes adjust. On the whole well made and what I'd expect from Merrell, I'm on the look out for a pair that suits me better.

A Fighting Chance
A Fighting Chance
by Elizabeth Warren

5.0 out of 5 stars 'This is what women do' by Elizabeth Warren, 17 Aug. 2015
This review is from: A Fighting Chance (Hardcover)
A friend of mine in the US recommended this potted biography and political manifesto and although British, I thought I would give it a shot and see what Elizabeth Warren had to say. I found it really interesting. Elizabeth Warren gives us a well written, occasionally funny, occasionally sad story about how she got from being young married mother, through University, to being a Professor of Law, specializing in bankruptcy law, to being the Senior Senator of Massachusetts. During which time she predicted and was appalled by the mortgage crash in the United States and has since been doing her best to give the middle class of the US a fighting chance of doing what she has done, go to school, get a job and be a success. It contains (for me) the most understandable explanation of factors, that I have come across so far, that contributed to the financial crash in the States . You may have seen her on Youtube cross-examining financial authorities in the hope of getting a straight answer, this book was published in 2014, so stops at what I hope is the beginning of her political career. Definitely worth reading.

Wahl Family Nano Blender, 120 W
Wahl Family Nano Blender, 120 W

4.0 out of 5 stars An efficient and well made mini-blender, 17 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've not had a blender before, so I was delighted to be offered a Nano Blender to try out. I can't compare it with other blenders but it seems to be efficient. I was surprised by quite how small the blender is although it is called a nano blender. The blending pots - the tall plastic pots are the size of a large baby bottle. I found filling them up, then attaching the blending unit was straight forward - although you have to balance the blending knives on the top of the pot and then attach the motor. You then press down to start the blending process and it all worked very nicely. The four storage pots seem well made. The motor and the blending knives come apart easily (too easily?) for cleaning. All in all an efficient and well made mini-blender.

Tweezerman Combo Clipper Set
Tweezerman Combo Clipper Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy nail clipper set, 12 Aug. 2015
I've not used nail clippers until recently but since the limit on scissors in aeroplane hand luggage, I thought they would be worth a shot. I read a lot of people's reviews and decided that I would try Tweezerman. I have found them both useful and the large, straight clippers great for toenails. Very happy with them.

BalanceFrom High Accuracy MemoryTrack Plus Digital Bathroom Scale with "Smart Step-On" and MemoryTrack Technology, Extra Large Dual Color Backlight Display [NEWEST VERSION] (Silver)
Offered by BalanceFrom UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, easy to read scales, 12 Aug. 2015
Large scales with a see-through platform and a decorative edge. The decorative edge is useful as it means I can see it on the floor. The panel and numbers are really easy to read. Very happy so far.

DeLonghi ECAM44.620 Eletta Bean to Cup Coffee Machine, 1450 W
DeLonghi ECAM44.620 Eletta Bean to Cup Coffee Machine, 1450 W

4.0 out of 5 stars A really great cup of coffee, 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first, and most important, thing to say about this machine is that it makes really great coffee. The quality of the drink, is, of course, dependent on the beans you use. We use Esotico from the Algerian Coffee Shop in Soho.

The machine notionally will work with either beans or ground coffee, but ground coffee is not really an option for continuous use, as you have to refill the ground coffee input container with each cup. It is, however, useful for, say, making the odd cup of decaffeinated coffee if you have a guest with that predilection.

The usefulness of the machine is enhanced by the several controls - it is really easy to change both strength and temperature for each cup.
The machine is basically simple to use, but has some tricky features. We have still not been able to get the feature that determines how much is in a "long coffee" to work. This is not aided by the quality of the documentation, which is, frankly, abysmal for a domestic machine costing £500+. They really should put much more effort into this.

The machine is not speedy - it can take 2 minutes to make a long coffee, so you probably wouldn't use it to make coffees for an entire dinner party.
The machine is quite substantial. It is cleverly designed so that it does not require side access, but you do need to have room for top access to fill the bean reservoir. There are quite a number of individual containers that need filling or emptying - for coffee beans, for water, for used coffee, and for waste water. The waste water is because the machine rinses itself whenever you turn it on, and also when it turns itself off. This can be a surprise, but you learn to keep a cup under the spouts to catch the waste water. Probably about one in eight attempts to make coffee are delayed by the machine telling you to empty or fill something.

It has a separate function to descale itself, and also has an optional filter to stop calcium build-up. We are hopeful of this, as our London hard water has severely troubled every coffee maker we previously owned. So far we have had no such problems with this, but it is early days.
I won't comment here on the milk functions of the machine, as we are mostly black coffee drinkers and haven't used these enough. We will do an add-on to this review when we have had more cappuccino drinkers around.

Overall, not a perfect package, with a few ergonomic faults and really mediocre documentation, but a machine we will keep and treasure (calcium build-up permitting) because of the great quality of coffee it produces.

Sebago Women's Meriden Kiltie Loafer Flats Brown Dark Brown Nubuck 6.5 (40 EU)
Sebago Women's Meriden Kiltie Loafer Flats Brown Dark Brown Nubuck 6.5 (40 EU)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made moccasins, 17 Jun. 2015
This was my first pair of Sebago shoes andI wasn't sure about the sizing as I'm used to a 40 being a 7 rather than a 6.5. I thought I would try them and they turn out to be narrow (for my anyway)and more of a 6.5, so moderately small and I sent them back.

Bearing in mind I haven't walked in them,they were lovely shoes. Beautifully packed. Nice attention to detail.Very soft nubuck and flat but soft soles. I tried to persuade myself that they would stretch but I don't think they would have stretched enough

Knomo Beauchamp Backpack 14" Khaki
Knomo Beauchamp Backpack 14" Khaki
Offered by WARDOW

5.0 out of 5 stars Successful business backpack, 16 Jun. 2015
I'm very pleased with this backpack. I am a bit of a pack rat - by which I mean if I can stick it in a bag and lug it around I will do. I bought this backpack as it is slimmer than many and means I can't carry as much around. Having said that, I can carry a small laptop, notebook, power cables, headset, mouse and small make up bag comfortably. I'm not sure I can get a lot more in. The shoulder straps are slimmer than other makes and I wasn't sure if I would find them comfortable but after a couple of weeks can report they are good. I like the many pockets - they aren't very expandable but you can use them for sensible small things - hayfever medication say. Its very nicely made, so I'm hoping it will last me a couple of years, which will make it good value too.

Joseph Joseph Stretch Silicone Pot Stand - Green
Joseph Joseph Stretch Silicone Pot Stand - Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and easy to store trivet, 1 Jun. 2015
This is my second - I bought the first as lightning deal, just to see if it would suit. It stretches out so you can support long hot plates or possibly two or you can keep it small a big pan. Very convenient and easy to store.

SafemoreTM 230V 16A 4000W Fireproof ABS Copper Cord Power Bar Switch Adapter 6 Outlets 2 USB Charging On Off Switch Power Tower Adapter Plug Power Adapter Usb Socket Power Surge Protector Ports Plug Multi Socket with Usb (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed and practical power socket, 1 Jun. 2015
I have had this for a couple of weeks now and I'm starting to think of buying another to sit on my desk. Its small squat shape is very pleasing and the fact you can power up a device through a USB cable is very convenient.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16