Profile for L Weale > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Margin Call [DVD]
Margin Call [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kevin Spacey

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent thriller about the start of the financial crisis, 1 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Margin Call [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this thriller on its brief run in the cinema in London and was blown away by the tight and alarming insight into the start of the economic crisis. Yes, I know this is fiction but it is very well done. I have been hoping for a DVD ever since and finally it is here.

The cast is excellent, Demi Moore, Kevin Spacey, Paul Bettany, Stanley Tucci, Zachary Quinto and Jeremy Irons. The action takes place over 24 hours. It is cerebral - no violence, quite a lot of swearing - but absorbing and I really enjoyed my second viewing. Definitely worth buying.

Amelia Peabody Omnibus (Books 1-4)
Amelia Peabody Omnibus (Books 1-4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Victorian woman Egyptologist turns detective, 19 Dec. 2012
I am a huge fan of archaeology and egyptology in particular and I like a good detective story, so I had high hopes of Amelia Peabody written by Elizabeth Peters.

I bought my first as a paperback - it has a lovely cover and then the Kindle omnibus.

The story is following the life of Amelia Peabody, who having, quite happily spent the first 30 years of her life as her father's companion, is bereaved and inherits a small fortune at the start of Book 1 and decides on some serious tourism: Italy, Egypt et al. I thoroughly enjoyed book 1, it has a real story, book 2 was fine, book 3 was a satisfactory holiday read. Book 4, well I've started it, so I will finish it but currently my mind isn't set on owning book 5.

The writer is having a fun with lots of 'dear reader' and other cod victorianisms. The egyptology seems sound. The continuity isn't all it could be, for instance Evelyn, Amelia's friend, swaps from being the granddaughter of an earl to the granddaughter of a duke.

Try book 1 - Crocodile on the Sandbank and see if you like them.

PU Leather Case For Blackberry 8900/8520/9700/9300/9780 Protective Carry Cover Pouch - Sandstone

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice case for Blackberry 9780, 12 Dec. 2012
I bought this case based on the other two reviews and it is just what I wanted. Plus it is cream, so I can see it in my handbag.

Paper Mousepad: Info Central
Paper Mousepad: Info Central
by Knock Knock
Edition: Stationery

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful mouse pad, 4 Dec. 2012
I like paper mousepads, it useful to have something you can write on to hand and Knock Knock make really nice stationery. The pads take the wear really well and using a paper mousepad is less grubby than a permanent fabric mouse mat.

totes Mini 5 Section Thin Women's Umbrella Madras Check
totes Mini 5 Section Thin Women's Umbrella Madras Check

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little umbrella, 4 Dec. 2012
This is my second totes mini umbrella, this is even smaller than the first, abut 15cm long when folded up and 4.5cm diameter, It fits neatly in my handbag. Great for lugging around.

Marware Eco-Flip Genuine Leather Cover for Kindle, Black  [will only fit Kindle Paperwhite (5th and 6th Generation), Kindle (5th Generation), Kindle Touch (4th Generation) and Kindle (7th Generation)]
Marware Eco-Flip Genuine Leather Cover for Kindle, Black [will only fit Kindle Paperwhite (5th and 6th Generation), Kindle (5th Generation), Kindle Touch (4th Generation) and Kindle (7th Generation)]

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid kindle cover, 4 Dec. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my second Marware eco-flip kindle cover. I bought one for a kindle with a keyboard. This smaller version is nice to touch and well made. It has 4 corner attachments that hold the kindle in place. The cover flips over and can be used to stand the kindle upright. It has a slip handle on the inside of the cover which can be used to hold it. Happy to recommend it.

Travalo Pure Essentials Refill Perfume Atomizer
Travalo Pure Essentials Refill Perfume Atomizer
Offered by FragrancesCosmeticsPerfumes

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat, handbag sized perfume spray, 20 Nov. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think this is a great idea. Its a mini-spray that you fill yourself from another spray bottle and it means you can take your favourite perfume anywhere including hand luggage. The clever filling mechnism worked really well. I haven't taken it on an aeroplane yet but I'm expecting it will travel well.

The whole thing is a good idea but you can't clean it (or at least I can't work out how to), so you can only have the same perfume/aftershave in it really.

Shakespeare's Restless World: An Unexpected History in Twenty Objects
Shakespeare's Restless World: An Unexpected History in Twenty Objects
by Dr Neil MacGregor

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking introduction to Shakespeare's world, 5 Nov. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is the companion to the British Museum's exhibition, Shakespeare: Staging the World. The exhibition is not at all what I was expecting - it attempts to explain the influences that made Shakespeare the playwright he was. The exhibition is fascinating, bringing a great deal of scholarship and some wonderful objects to give us a better understanding of the 1500/1600s.

Well, what about the book? It is a really nice volume, solidly made and stuffed with pictures of the objects discussed. It is the sort of book that e-readers can't compete with at the moment because they can't do the pictures of Venetian goblets and maps of London and gold coins from Africa.

It reads really well, it does remind me of listening to Neil MacGregor on Radio 4 speaking about A History of the World in 100 Objects but I enjoyed that, so it works well for me.

If you are interested in Shakespeare and the reign of Elizabeth I then I think this will give you something to think about and may be give you a different perspective. It is straightforward reading, something you can dip in to or read from beginning to end and it hides it scholarship up its sleeve so I'm sure you will learn something new and the quotes are from Shakespeare.

'For God's sake let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings'

Amazing.

Why Your Five Year Old Could Not Have Done That: Modern Art Explained
Why Your Five Year Old Could Not Have Done That: Modern Art Explained
by Susie Hodge

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting introduction to modern art, 1 Nov. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a fan of art galleries and and pretty eclectic in my tastes, so will happily wander along and see pretty much anything but having said that, always feel that if I knew a bit more about what I was looking at then I might enjoy it more, so I was very interested to see this book advertised.

It is a paperback, slightly above average size and made of good quality paper, each art work has two pages to itself. On each page you get a good reproduction of the art work and a couple of sections: about the artist, where you can see other works by the artist and a bit about why your five year old could not have done that.

I haven't gone through the entire book yet but I have enjoyed it so far. It has been interesting and informative. To be honest I think the sections about 'your five year old' are the weakest because a lot of them say 'possibly your five year old could do this but...'. What impressed me is that I have just nipped in to the Tate Modern and as I was walking through I thought that is Matisse's The Snail - so I have learned something already.

This isn't for the expert, although I can imagine experts being interested in the choice of work but as an introduction I think it is very good.

Matin M-6328 Small Size Goat Hair Dust Brush
Matin M-6328 Small Size Goat Hair Dust Brush

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent small dust brush, 1 Nov. 2012
This is a small goat hair dust brush for cleaning lenses and other delicate items. I think the other reviewers have it right and you should be careful in the choice of what you clean with it.

I didn't realise - not paying attention - that the brush winds up and down from its case - the manufacturers call it 'lipstick action' and it is really neat and slightly smaller than a lipstick, so not much to carry around.

Very happy with it.