Profile for L Weale > Reviews

Pack of 100 White Organza Gift Bags
Pack of 100 White Organza Gift Bags
Offered by Five Season

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little drawstring bags, 4 July 2013
I bought these because I needed some small, easy to close bags that I could see through and weren't plastic. I was going to make my own but I caught sight of these on Amazon and I couldn't make them for this price and would probably lose heart. They come from China (Hong Kong?), so you need to allow quite a bit of time for delivery.

So far the stitching on one of them has come undone and if you were using them for a wedding or as gift bags (they are approx 9cm by 7cm - so for small things) you might want to tidy up the stitching with scissors.

They are slightly shiny with ribbon ties and are brilliant value for money.

Antarctica: A Biography
Antarctica: A Biography
by David Day

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and occasionally appalling biography of Antarctica, 26 Jun 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a pretty substantial book that starts in the 1770s and ends in 2012.

The 21 chapters are dated: 1770s, 1780-1820, 1821-1838, 1839-1843, 1843-1895, 1895-1906, 1907-1912, 1912-1918, 1919-1926, 1926-1928, 1929-1930, 1931-1933, 1934-1936, 1937-1938, 1939-1941, 1941-1945, 1945-1947, 1948-1951, 1952-1956, 1957-1960, 1961-2012.

I was slightly surprised that the last chapter covered 50 years when some of the other chapters only cover 2 years and if this is a true biography then I think recent happenings should have more coverage even if the historian might not want to come to definite conclusions about them.

David Day writes well and this is a handsome book.

I was appalled by the slaughter of the wildlife described in the earliest chapters - sickening, thoughtless and typical. It was also interesting to see for how long the UK and Argentina have been discussing the Falkland Islands.

Does this book have an Australian bent - I hope so, it is good to get other peoples perspective. Definitely worth a read.

What To Do When There's Too Much To Do: Reduce Tasks, Increase Results, and Save 90 Minutes a Day
by Laura Stack

4.0 out of 5 stars Prioritising and enjoying your life, 26 Jun 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Laura Stack tells us pretty early on that people (She is writing about American office workers but I suspect that Americans are having a big influence on anyone they work with) have 'defaulted to working long hours' and 'it is killing us'. Laura's book is aimed at getting you to think about what you do and making changes to get better results for working fewer hours.

The argument being that if you can deliver good results in a shorter time scale, you will be appreciated by the people you work with, go home on time or not too late and have a life outside the office.

In practice, if you have a lot of people doing very long hours in an office and you go home at 5:30pm every day and they want to ask you a question at 6:30pm, you can find you are in trouble with the office culture. Certainly the most cheerful examples in the book are where the Company's senior staff have got behind the idea of improving time management.

I liked the idea that with everything you get at work, the first question should be 'should I discard it?' the first of Laura's 6 Ds and also that if you get something small to do you should 'just do it' because dithering about it makes it a much bigger task.

Generally this book was very American-centric, which is fair enough Laura is American and working in the US Market. It may also be more useful depending what job you do. The advice seems sensible - like all time management books you need to read it and pick out what you think will help. I do like the basic premise that you need to look after yourself and have a life as well as work, so happy to give it 4 stars.

BlackBerry M-S1 BAT-14392-001 Standard Battery for Blackberry Bold 9000 9700 9780
Offered by TecWins

4.0 out of 5 stars Replacement battery for Blackberry 9780, 16 Jun 2013
I wanted a new battery for my Blackberry 9780 and having looked at my options - other reviews, delivery times and cost - I opted to buy this one while feeling that I wasn't completely certain what I would be getting.

Delivery was speedy - it arrived 2 days after ordering via 1st class post.
The battery looks like the original I have in my phone - marked Blackberry and RIM.
Packaging was minimal - the battery was in a battery sized plastic bag in a padded envelope.
I put it in my phone, it was charged and left it on charge overnight - last night and it is fine this morning.

I'm very happy with it so far.

The Honey Guide (Mollel 1)
The Honey Guide (Mollel 1)
by Richard Crompton

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Kenyan mystery, 8 Jun 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really struggled with this book. I have enjoyed other thrillers set in societies I'm not familiar with where I'm having to get used to a foreign country, a different culture and a mystery at the same time.

The Honey Guide is set in 'the run-up to and the immediate aftermath of, the Kenyan election of 27 December 2007.' Richard Crompton says that the timeline is accurate and the locations are real.

I don't know whether ensuring it met the timeline cramped Richard Crompton's style but I found it jerky and I never really engaged with the hero Mollel. Mollel is a loner/outsider hero which in detective stories means he's bright and has a strong sense of justice - loner/outsiders have have to be clever because they are always on the edge of things.

I'm always sorry when I struggle with a book because of its style because it is such a personal experience and it might suit someone else very much. It is well thought out and interestingly plotted but not for me.

Passing the PRINCE2 Exams For Dummies (For Dummies (Business & Personal Finance))
by Nick Graham

4.0 out of 5 stars Good supplement for PRINCE2 candidates, 8 Jun 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think the key thing about this book is that it is a supplement that provides advice and practice examples for doing the PRINCE2 basic and practitioner exams and you need to have access to a PRINCE2 manual and maybe a second PRINCE2 book as well.

The book is a nice size for a workbook - not quite A4, shorter and fatter but makes it easy to keep open and write on.

I liked Part 1 which is about doing the exam, how to deal with exam nerves and the like and is probably just good advice.

In parts 2, 3 and 4, each chapter deals with a significant process. It gives advice for the basic and practitioner exams, followed by key points and test questions. I like the test questions, when I've done these things before I find practice questions really useful - although you can end up depending a bit heavily on the questions and then the exam turns up and the style changes and you can be taken by surprise.

I haven't done the exam yet but I reckon this is supportive book if you are studying on your own.

The Rough Guide to Egypt
The Rough Guide to Egypt
by Dan Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide to Luxor and its surrounds, 22 May 2013
I haven't been to Egypt since 2007 and a lot has happened in the world since and in Egypt in particular. I am entranced by the remnants of Ancient Egypt and we decided that it was about time we went back and we should get a new guide book.

We were based in Luxor and didn't travel very far - to the temples and Luxor Museum and across to the West Bank by public ferry. We found the Rough Guide to Egypt was relevant and up to date. We tried the restaurants it recommended and we enjoyed them. The maps were good, we walked from the Winter Palace to the Sheraton via Television Street and other key local shopping streets and the maps were correct (better at the moment than Google maps - which did give a warning that they might not be completely accurate). It was easy to find information. Everything you would want from a guide book

PURE Chronos CD Series II, DAB/FM/CD Stereo Clock Radio - Black
PURE Chronos CD Series II, DAB/FM/CD Stereo Clock Radio - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat dab radio/CD player with remote control, 22 May 2013
I first bought the PURE Chronos CD Series I after I broke my ankle and had to get everywhere on crutches for 13 weeks. Being able to have a remote control and turn the radio on and off/ swap to the CD and stop/start is a huge benefit if you aren't mobile. Admittedly the remote is quite small and since then I have had annoying weeks where I have swept it in to a pile of papers and can't find it but it usually comes to the surface.

I'm not amazingly musical and am reluctant to buy bigger sound systems for playing audio CDs and I'm not very keen on having ear phones on all the time so am not a big user of mp3 players. I have actually worn out the Series I cd players - I find after a while (I'm estimating 4 or 5 years) there is a problem with playing the CD (wear on the spindle??). This is triangular and about 19cm deep and wide - so fits on shelves very neatly.

DAB radios are interesting - I'm in London and mostly I have really good reception but in some weathers will suddenly get really shocking reception. Fiddling round with the aerial will often sort this out but I suspect you can have shockingly awful/no DAB reception if you aren't near an antenna. This radio does have FM.

So having retired my Series I, I looked at the lists of radio/cd players on Amazon and was tempted by the Roberts but in the end came back to the Series II (I already have a Series II) because of the remote control. The Series II has a flat front button panel which looks slick but can be a real pain to use. The Series I had raised silver buttons which were much easier to click. But on the whole it does what it says in a smart little package and with its little remote control means I do love it.

Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast
Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast
by Anjum Anand

4.0 out of 5 stars Good follow up to Indian Food Made Easy, 6 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I enjoyed cooking the Keralan Coconut Curry and found the instructions fairly straight forward to follow. I occasionally had a bit of a panic 'now taste, it should seem harmonious' was a bit scary for your first time on a recipe but although I wasn't sure it was harmonious at that point the overall result was very pleasing.

I found the cook book swaps between alarming and straightforward - I am a cautious recipe following cook - so have been trying the simpler recipes.

I think the notes on the Indian vegetarian pantry are useful - especially Anjum's decision to provide root ginger quantities in grams (I wish other writers would do this).

The hardback book is a very nice size and the pictures attractive. All in all a good source of ideas for feeding vegetarian friends.

Daffodil LEC700L - 3 in 1 LED Camping Lantern with 3 Modes - Indoor/Outdoor Light - Powered by 4 x AA Batteries (Included)
Offered by Daffodil UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Lamp was faulty, 5 April 2013
This is a cute lamp but I found like the other 2 star reviewer that the lamp was faulty and the base would not screw on to the body of the lamp. I tried without batteries and the threads did not match, so there was no hope of it holding the batteries in place.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14