Profile for L Weale > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
PURE Chronos CD Series II, DAB/FM/CD Stereo Clock Radio - Black
PURE Chronos CD Series II, DAB/FM/CD Stereo Clock Radio - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat dab radio/CD player with remote control, 22 May 2013
I first bought the PURE Chronos CD Series I after I broke my ankle and had to get everywhere on crutches for 13 weeks. Being able to have a remote control and turn the radio on and off/ swap to the CD and stop/start is a huge benefit if you aren't mobile. Admittedly the remote is quite small and since then I have had annoying weeks where I have swept it in to a pile of papers and can't find it but it usually comes to the surface.

I'm not amazingly musical and am reluctant to buy bigger sound systems for playing audio CDs and I'm not very keen on having ear phones on all the time so am not a big user of mp3 players. I have actually worn out the Series I cd players - I find after a while (I'm estimating 4 or 5 years) there is a problem with playing the CD (wear on the spindle??). This is triangular and about 19cm deep and wide - so fits on shelves very neatly.

DAB radios are interesting - I'm in London and mostly I have really good reception but in some weathers will suddenly get really shocking reception. Fiddling round with the aerial will often sort this out but I suspect you can have shockingly awful/no DAB reception if you aren't near an antenna. This radio does have FM.

So having retired my Series I, I looked at the lists of radio/cd players on Amazon and was tempted by the Roberts but in the end came back to the Series II (I already have a Series II) because of the remote control. The Series II has a flat front button panel which looks slick but can be a real pain to use. The Series I had raised silver buttons which were much easier to click. But on the whole it does what it says in a smart little package and with its little remote control means I do love it.

Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast
Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast
by Anjum Anand

4.0 out of 5 stars Good follow up to Indian Food Made Easy, 6 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I enjoyed cooking the Keralan Coconut Curry and found the instructions fairly straight forward to follow. I occasionally had a bit of a panic 'now taste, it should seem harmonious' was a bit scary for your first time on a recipe but although I wasn't sure it was harmonious at that point the overall result was very pleasing.

I found the cook book swaps between alarming and straightforward - I am a cautious recipe following cook - so have been trying the simpler recipes.

I think the notes on the Indian vegetarian pantry are useful - especially Anjum's decision to provide root ginger quantities in grams (I wish other writers would do this).

The hardback book is a very nice size and the pictures attractive. All in all a good source of ideas for feeding vegetarian friends.

Daffodil LEC700L - 3 in 1 LED Camping Lantern with 3 Modes - Indoor/Outdoor Light - Powered by 4 x AA Batteries (Included)
Offered by Daffodil UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Lamp was faulty, 5 April 2013
This is a cute lamp but I found like the other 2 star reviewer that the lamp was faulty and the base would not screw on to the body of the lamp. I tried without batteries and the threads did not match, so there was no hope of it holding the batteries in place.

Martin Beck: The Man on the Balcony
Martin Beck: The Man on the Balcony
by Maj Sjowall

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Martin Beck drama so far, 5 Mar 2013
The BBC are doing a number of Martin Beck Mysteries set in the 60s/70s. They are Swedish and according to the BBC are very influential in how they affected the writing of detective fiction.

This production is only an hour long and they feel mildly expensive for the length. I would have preferred to get two stories and two hours listening.

I heard all the stories on the BBC and decided I would happily listen to this one again and again. It is the story of a child-murder and the detectives' desperate hunt for witnesses and the killer. It is more sympathetic than you would guess from the subject and very well played.

Murder is Easy (BBC Audio Crime)
Murder is Easy (BBC Audio Crime)
by Agatha Christie
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Breathless Agatha Christie thriller - good BBC drama, 5 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have so many BBC Agatha Christie audiobooks than I am possibly getting a bit picky. I quite like Agatha Christie's books although there are better writers and better plotters out there but they are curiously comforting for murders and getting to be fabulous period pieces. My favourites are probably Murder in Mesopotamia: BBC Radio 4 Full Cast Dramatisation (BBC Radio Collection) and A Caribbean Mystery: BBC Radio 4 Full-cast Dramatisation (BBC Radio Collection) but its hard to say as I have about 8 that I can listen to again and again and I adore John Moffatt and June Whitfield. If you don't know Agatha Christie's second husband was a seriously good archaeologist and AC accompanied him on digs all over the middle east, writing and sometimes acting as expedition photographer, so her archaeological background is good.

Murder is Easy is one of Agatha Christie's one-offs and is splendidly cast, I thought the actors were brilliantly selected and the production - pretty much as always - is great.

I thought the story was a bit hysterical 'he did it!', 'no he did it!' and that might be true to the book but it does make you ask yourself would a policeman really behave like this? I hate asking those questions because it means I haven't sunk into the story as much as I'd like. It is fun though and I enjoyed it and it is a happy way to pass an idle moment.

Eastpak Suitcase Transfer S, 50 cm, 42 liters, Mental Brown, EK66123E
Eastpak Suitcase Transfer S, 50 cm, 42 liters, Mental Brown, EK66123E

4.0 out of 5 stars Good carry-on bag, 19 Feb 2013
Pretty much every time I go away, I come back and stare moodily at different luggage, looking for something capacious, light and with wheels. I caught sight of these Eastpak Transfer-small bags in an Eastpak store and couldn't quite made my mind up to spend the money on one as they look a bit smaller than my current bag. Over Christmas I saw this one on Amazon at a very good price and decided I should buy it. Since then it has been with me to Paris (Eurostar) and New York.

The bag has a zip around the middle and opens in to two equal halves, each with a fabric/zipped closure to keep the things in that half in place. One of the reviews said that you can pack into the centre of the bag and that has turned out to be useful.

It is smaller than my previous bag - it looks like it would meet RyanAir carry-on rules (55/40/20cm Feb 2013 but you should check) - I had to be more thoughtful about what I took with me and also plan to wash clothes while I was away. I packed 1 pair trousers, 5 t-shirts, 1 cardigan, 1 shoes, undies/socks, two books, power cables, two fold-up bags and non-liquid toiletries. I was allowed to take two bags into the cabin - so I could carry liquid toiletries separately so they can go through security at the airport.

I have travelled for two and half weeks with carry-on luggage only. I'm not sure if I could fit everything in to this bag but I will try.

I was a bit worried about the handle - it looks light but I found it comfortable and it seemed strong. I liked the clip straps on either side.

On the whole I think this is a good bag and I haven't come back and instantly headed out to my nearest luggage store to see if there is anything better on offer.

Overdressed: Responsible Shopping in the Age of Cheap Fashion
Overdressed: Responsible Shopping in the Age of Cheap Fashion
by Elizabeth Cline

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye-opening book about the state we are in - you should read it, 27 Jan 2013
I caught sight of this book in an article in the New York Times but it hadn't been published over here (at the time) and there wasn't a kindle edition, so I put it on my Amazon wishlist and was given it last week.

This is a bit of an 'oh my' book. I am a bunch older than Elizabeth Cline and as she says only people born before the 80s will have had the opportunity to notice the change in the clothes we buy and the way we buy clothes, because we will have seen clothes that were not sold mostly based on price. I have spent the last 20 years wondering how the price of clothes can go down and the quality remain the same and of course it can't.

The book is written by a woman who likes fashion and is on a budget and it is a good if scary read. Elizabeth Cline looks at the mass clothes sellers like Zara and Forever 21 and talks about how they can make and sell clothes so cheaply and how we are managing to dispose of all these clothes once we are bored with them or they have fallen apart.

The numbers are frightening and the demands that big business make on people and the environment are alarming and as Cline points out, we the consumer are contributing to the mess because we like what we are being offered

This book is written from the USA and talks about things American but as the book shows we live in a world of globalized industry. I am sure that a lot of what Elizabeth Cline says is true for Britain and for Europe.

Sennheiser MX685 Sports In-Ear Headphones
Sennheiser MX685 Sports In-Ear Headphones

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable sports earphones - about 3.5 stars, 11 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The fit on these headphones is great - they stay in while you're running or at the gym with no problems. The little hooks help, and they feel really comfortable. Like most sports headphones they come with a clip to keep the wires in place, which is always helpful.

The sound quality is good, but not amazing. Bass doesn't seem to come through that strongly and the upper notes can sound a little tinny. This may or may not bother you depending on what type of music you listen to. They won't drown out the sound of background music in the gym, but are sufficiently loud that you can hear your own music.

Overall: decent sound quality with a good fit, that is important in sports headphones.

Stars: 3.5

Pride and Prejudice (Penguin English Library)
Pride and Prejudice (Penguin English Library)
by Jane Austen

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely paperback edition of Jane Austen, 2 Jan 2013
I only have limited shelf space and now I have a Kindle I try to balance what I buy for the shelves vs. what I keep on the Kindle.

When I saw and then touched this paperback edition of Jane Austen I was instantly smitten. My existing copies are getting old and crumbly. These have pretty covers with an interesting feel, the printed pages are decent quality with a nice sized font. I bought all 6 Austens: Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Emma, Northanger Abbey and Persuasion.

If you haven't read Jane Austen, she died in 1817 and was writing during the Napoleonic Wars, an amazing time of exploration, scientific advance and a huge expansion of trade of which she mentions hardly anything. Just occasionally how 'officers' are turning young women's heads.

It is also a time when legally women have very little money of their own and little opportunity for well paid employment and the only way for a woman to have the opportunity to express herself is from the security of marriage - ideally but not necessarily 'happy' marriage.

Pride and Prejudice and most of the rest of Jane's books follow one or more young women with nothing much but their personalities to support them manage to find love and happiness.

Roseanna (Martin Beck Police Mysteries)
Roseanna (Martin Beck Police Mysteries)
by Maj Sjöwall

4.0 out of 5 stars 1960s and 70s Swedish Police thriller, 2 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This review is for: Martin Beck: Roseanna I listened to the first half of this series on the BBC, the second half is planned for 2013.

I haven't read the books but the BBC plays are as always beautifully produced using a variety of regional English accents and a slightly flat foreign intonation to support the fact that the stories are based in Sweden. They are quite intensive listening, the police working out what is happening, describing their actions as they chase a suspect. I like the quietness of the action but I can see it might not be to everyone's taste.

The stories are short, so Roseanna is 1h 15mins and I think the other stories in the series are about an hour long. I would have preferred it if the BBC gave you 2 stories for £13 rather than 1 story for just under £10.

I realise I haven't said anything about the story. This is the hunt for a murderer when a pretty tourist is dredged up from a river/canal.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13