Profile for D. C. Telfer > Reviews

Content by D. C. Telfer

D. C. Telfer "I'm a physics tutor and mum. I listen to all kinds of books while attempting to exercise or organise, and sometimes just while eating cake!" (Scotland, UK)

SQA Specimen Paper 2014  Higher for CfE Mathematics & Hodder Gibson Model Papers (Sqa Specimen Papers)
SQA Specimen Paper 2014 Higher for CfE Mathematics & Hodder Gibson Model Papers (Sqa Specimen Papers)
by SQA (Hodder Ed)

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too many typos, 8 Jan. 2015
Specimen papers are hugely helpful for a new course and it is understandable that collections are rushed out to meet demand. In the case of this course, it is particularly useful to see the new Paper 1 questions because these are no longer in multiple choice format. However, the large number of typos in the worked solutions at the back of this book should be an embarrassment to the publisher. Often the answer itself is correct but the working is inconsistent with that answer, which will be unhelpful for students trying to understand a question that they have found difficult. I've also recognised at least one long question that has been lifted straight from a past paper. Although these collections are generally useful, this one seems particularly badly produced and poor value for money.

Love and Treasure
Love and Treasure
by Ayelet Waldman

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations, 19 April 2014
This review is from: Love and Treasure (Hardcover)
I enjoy Ayelet Waldman's writing so I had high hopes for this novel and was delighted when it exceeded my expectations. The interwoven stories are set in modern day America and Europe, and also in Hungary around the time of the second World War. They trace the thought-provoking history and ownership of a peacock pendant in the colours of the Suffragette movement.

I love books that entertain but also inspire and, for me, this novel did that in spades. It is clear that these stories have benefited from a lot of research, in addition to drawing on the author's personal experiences, but the story always takes precedence so the reader never feels bombarded with information. I finished the book feeling better informed but also eager to read and research more about the history and politics of the periods and places described. I wished I could spend time with the book's characters, hold the peacock pendant and see the painting it inspired, taste Dobos torte and swim in the Gellert's pool.

I am not usually one for re-reading novels but on finishing this book, I felt I could have happily started again from the beginning.

Union Jack Paper Chains - 120 Chains - 8M Length Approx
Union Jack Paper Chains - 120 Chains - 8M Length Approx
Offered by Blue Lagoon Products Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 29 May 2012
I'd hoped these would prove to be a terrific bargain and I was initially pleased that the paper strips look fine. However, unfortunately the stickers provided to join the paper strips were no longer very adhesive (they looked quite old, with patchy glue) so the chains collapsed when we attempted to hang them. Only very short chains were possible. I'd also bought Cath Kidston Jubilee paper chains and, although pricier, they represented much better value because they were more fun to make and the result looked great.

The Highway Rat
The Highway Rat
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous to read aloud, 25 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Highway Rat (Hardcover)
This is my new favourite to read aloud to my children. The language and illustrations are of the wonderfully high standard that fans of Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler have come to expect. In addition to a thought-provoking plot device, 'The Highway Rat' features a loveable villain, a clever heroine and a happy ending; everything that you'd hope for in a children's book.

But for me the particular joy here lies in the rhythm and repetition, inspired by The Highwayman poem, which make for wonderfully theatrical readings. As in other Donaldson favourites, the various animal characters are fabulous for those who like to have fun with different voices too. My two-year-old son chants 'Highway Rat' repeatedly at bedtime until we read this and I am so very happy to oblige. For me, it's perfect.

When Someone You Love Has Cancer: A Guide to Help Kids Cope (Elf-Help Books for Kids)
by Alaric Lewis

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment and not suitable for every family, 24 July 2011
I bought this thinking it might be helpful to give to a friend but, having read it through myself first, I was very disappointed and returned it instead. I loved the premise and had high expectations when I ordered it but two things spoiled it for me; the first was the mention of the link between smoking and cancer. Of course that's a very important message but I didn't feel this book was the place to introduce it via such a brief comment because it would raise many more questions than it answered at an already traumatic time for the family. The other disappointment for me was the focus on praying and mention of heaven/god in such definite terms. The final comment about thanking god when a person recovers makes for an upbeat ending to this book but I felt it gave inappropriate expectations.

Pride & Prejudice Premiere HC
Pride & Prejudice Premiere HC
by Hugo Petrus

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic adaptation, 1 Jan. 2010
I loved this graphic novel adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. I received it as a gift from a fellow Austen fan and was taken with the novelty value but discovered that it also proved a most enjoyable read. I hadn't previously read a graphic novel but it was interesting to see this classic in a different format so I would definitely consider trying others. The original language has been preserved as far as possible so it might also provide an introduction to Austen's wit for those who have not otherwise discovered her work.

Perfectly Arugula
Perfectly Arugula
by Sarah Dillard

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming tale about a perfectionist party host, 30 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Perfectly Arugula (Hardcover)
My nearly-2-year-old daughter received this book as a gift and we have both found it enjoyable. Arugula is a perfectionist hedgehog who decides to host a party but is in danger of thwarting her careful efforts by making her guests feel tense and inhibited. Arugula despairs when a boisterous uninvited guest appears but perhaps he will save the party after all. The story is partly told through speech and thought bubbles in the attractive illustrations and the images and plot line are entertaining enough to keep adults amused through the many inevitable re-readings.