Profile for Simon Turner > Reviews

Karting Manual: The complete beginner's guide to competitive kart racing
Karting Manual: The complete beginner's guide to competitive kart racing
by Joao Diniz Sanches

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive karting guide?, 6 April 2007
Having bought a variety of karting guides over the last year or so and often ending up disappointed at either their superficial nature or frustrated at their lack of relevance to UK karting (understandable as so many are US publications), it's a revelation to finally come across a karting book that no only deals with the subject with the necessary level of detail for beginners to understand (the diagrams and photographs couldn't be clearer) but which also covers every area you would want to learn about - everything from driving techniques (obviously) to strategy to mental preparation and how to get sponsorship (not so obvious!).

If there is a criticism it's that it's a little light on the technical side of things (although the basics are well covered, as is set up, of course), but the book itself encourages readers to pick up specialised publications dealing with this area as their knowledge and experience increases - this is an area I'm still working on so for me it wasn't an issue and it is a book for for beginners, after all.

Having said that, I've got three years' karting experience and I was surprised how much of it I still found of use so I suspect others like me who are still looking to improve their racing craft may do the same. As for beginners, I'd say it's a must-buy - it's certainly the best such publication I've read so far (I haven't read them all, true, but most, I'd say).