Profile for Caroline > Reviews

Caroline

British Winters
British Winters
by Andrew Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Christmas gift for those who question the tradition!, 26 Nov. 2012
This review is from: British Winters (Paperback)
Having heard that 'British Winters' would be the perfect book for me, I finally had the opportunity to get my hands on this novel and I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised. I found the plot engaging, well-conceived and linear.

The characterisation was convincing and I could empathise with Noel as I'm not a fan of Christmas either! I also enjoyed the awkwardness of the situation with his vacuous girlfriend. His relationship with 'John/Lou the cat' clearly had more depth and respect than the one he shared with Deb.

Strangely, my favourite part of the novel was the interaction between Noel and his Grandad which was realistic and touching; described plainly without over-sentimentality.

My only slight criticism was the use of 'Americanisms' which were a little out of place and became a little irritating due to them being out of context.

Overall, I would say that 'British Winters' was an enjoyable read. It had some thought-provoking elements and a healthy dose of sarcastic humour. I look forward to the next novel from the pen of Andrew Turner.

Lapalco
Lapalco
Offered by Giant Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars tongue in cheek, 2 May 2012
This review is from: Lapalco (Audio CD)
Brendan Benson manages to keep his tongue firmly in his cheek through this tour de fource where he doesn't hold up for a second doling out power pop classics with influences ranging from... well spot them yourself it's all part of the fun. Quality listening that manages to both emotionally effect and take the piss simultaneously, no mean feat.