Profile for B. Harris > Reviews

Content by B. Harris

B. Harris "MR H" (Caterham, Surrey United Kingdom)

In A Different Light
In A Different Light

4.0 out of 5 stars Fall, Glimmer, Sparkle.... Not faded just yet, 23 Oct 2009
This review is from: In A Different Light (Audio CD)
So we've had the covers album and now we have the album of 'new versions'. This disc/download consists of new recordings of old songs spanning most of Everclear's discography plus 2 brand new songs 'At the end of the day' and 'Here comes the darkness'.

I have been a big fan of Everclear for many years now and 'So much for the afterglow' is still one of my favourite CD's of all time. However, despite the new versions on 'In a different Light' being very good with very much a live feel, they do lack the 'ballsy' power of the original recordings (especially on 'Rock Star'). The new brand new songs contain the same mellower approach to the songs on 'Welcome to the Drama club' but they still have great melody and the honesty found in all Art's (who is a legend)compositions.

So despite not being blown away by this (even though any version of 'Everything to Everyone' and 'Father of mine' are awesome) I still love Everclear. I guess the 4 stars is a little biased as I am such a fan but I do prefer the heavier side of the band and hope their next release contains a little more 'ooompf'... Fingers crossed.

Tohuvabohu
Tohuvabohu

5.0 out of 5 stars Symbols + Hau Ruck = Tohovabohu, 24 Sep 2007
This review is from: Tohuvabohu (Audio CD)
Having read a few reviews saying this album is 'lacking' or 'not as good as the classic albums' I thought for once I'd air my opinion. Firstly what are the classic albums? It depends on your taste really. I personally love the more recent stuff as opposed to the Naive, Don't blow... and What do you know... etc. With Tohovabohu you get the some of the electronic stuff mixed in with the crunching guitars all rounded of off by Kaptn' K and the astonishing Lucia on vocals. KMFDM are once again in your face whether exercising elements of funk (Superpower), singing in a foreign language (Tohovabohu and los Ninos del Parque..)or some 80's-tinged keyboard sounds (as in 'Looking for Strange'). Once again no Mr Watts but the current lineup can more than survive and thrive in his absense. Personally I feel it is kicking on the heels of 'Nihil' but we must remember that the likes of 'Nihil' 'Angst' 'Xtort' etc were out years ago (most have stood the test of time thankfully) so time does move on. Business as usual for KMFDM? Hell yeah but it still sounds fresh and exciting and a business I'd love to work for! My fave tracks: Saft und Kraft (absolute Industrial belter), Looking for Strange, Fait Accompli, Headcase... I could go on. I could never imagine Shirley Manson singing like Lucia so people need to stop the comparisons!! Thank you.

Jackknife to a Swan
Jackknife to a Swan

4.0 out of 5 stars THE 'BOSSTONES DO IT AGAIN!, 17 July 2002
This review is from: Jackknife to a Swan (Audio CD)
Having been the first ska/punk/core band that I got into, I suppose I am a little biased when it comes to the Mighty Mighty Bosstones but "A Jackknife to a Swan" is a winner.
The whole affair combines the usual Bosstones styles and even, in the case of the last track, some bluesy influence... In my mind there only a couple of weak tracks but that's because the others are that good! To compare it to previous releases I would call it a combination of "Question the Answers" (heavy and melodious) and "Let's Face it" (catchy as hell!)...Best tracks for me are the upbeat "Mr Moran" and the spine-tingling genius of "Everybody's Better". Yes, so Dicky Barrett's vocals are an accquired taste at times but they still work after all this time and the backing vocals are marvellous.. Buy it, do you hear me?!!!