Profile for nickjhunt > Reviews

The Lowland
The Lowland
Price: 2.57

4.0 out of 5 stars Devoured it, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Lowland (Kindle Edition)
I enjoy literature set in India so wanted more in India and less in the USA. I did find the time span too much and would have preferred a shorter range but liked the emotional picture of how the characters got them selves into the positions. Why the elder brother married her, why she left and how the daughter faces it all.

The Changing Lights
The Changing Lights
Price: 7.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Changing Lights (Audio CD)
There is hardly a better singer in this genre than Stacey Kent and the range of material she now sings, in different languages is so impressive. I love the songs by Kasuo ishiguo!

2121: A Tale From the Next Century
2121: A Tale From the Next Century
Price: 2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, 12 Nov 2013
I admire Susan Greenfield greatly, have met her, heard her speak and read much of what she has written. I was fascinated that she had entered the world of fiction but perhaps she should not have done so. The idea that people might divide into two groups and so separate is far from new. The teenage novel, The Guardians does it much better. 2121 has little characterisation and other than the initial idea nothing to commend. I only finished it because I felt I should.

The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science
by Norman Doidge
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Way of Looking at the Brain, 29 Dec 2010
I devoured this book, for personal reasons I wanted to know more about the brain and how it operates when damaged. This is not a text book but demonstrates that in a variety of diferent situations the brain adapts and heals. That is exactly what i wanted to believe and it has given me strength as I watched it happen in my family. It also shows that neuroscience, psychiatry, psychology and teaching all of which are studies of the brain are in themselves incomplete but too often seem to act as if the one discipline is the only one!

The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating
The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating
by Elisabeth Tova Bailey
Price: 12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 29 Dec 2010
A delightful, quiet tale of reassuring human restoration. Elizabeth Bailey could so easily have put her head in her hands and cried but her strength of spirit when all else failed teaches her to find solace, joy and even a sensef purpose in the most unlikely of places. I was gladdened and my heart in my own difficulties was warmed.