Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Trevor Bottomley > Reviews

Content by Trevor Bottomley

Trevor Bottomley "TrevB" (Yorkshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Kitchen Craft Floor Standing Foot Operated Can Crusher
Kitchen Craft Floor Standing Foot Operated Can Crusher

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 12 Jun. 2016
If you use a lot of cans, like I do - especially beer / soft drinks cans - they can take up a lot of space before put out for recycling. It therefore makes sense to flatten the can which vastly reduces this amount of space. The Kitchen Craft can crusher does that very easily and effectively. The unit is painted, and I would imagine over time the constant grinding of can against paint will scrape away the paint in that area of use - not detrimental of course, but think a plain metal unit would retain its looks for longer. It's sturdy, does what it says, and at a reasonable price.

Panasonic H-FS35100E-K Micro Four Thirds 35-100mm Telephoto Zoom Lens
Panasonic H-FS35100E-K Micro Four Thirds 35-100mm Telephoto Zoom Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lens, 21 April 2016
A great lens to complement my existing 12-32mm that came with my Lumix GM1. Although twice the length of that lens, it's still small enough for the camera to slip into a pocket with the lens attached. Even comes with a lens hood too!

Denon DP-200USB Turntable - Silver
Denon DP-200USB Turntable - Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Produces a great sound, like it!, 23 Feb. 2016
Looking for a new turntable deck to give my old vinyl records an airing and also having the ability to convert them to digital without having to spend a fortune, the Denon DP-200USB seemed to fit the bill. What especially attracted me to the Denon was that for converting the music, you didn't need a long trailing USB lead from turntable to laptop, you can just plug in a USB memory stick.
Ordering by next day delivery, it arrived Sunday morning, less than 18 hours after placing my order. Once unpacked it was easy to set up, only taking a few minutes. The turntable platter just needs to be mounted and the drive belt hooked over the driving roller capstan, the rubber mat placed on top, phono leads plugged into your amp, deck plugged into the mains, and away you go. Since getting the CD bug many years ago and not having listened to vinyl for the same many years (at least 20!), I was very impressed with the amazing sound that came out of my speakers, I'd forgotten just how good vinyl sounded! I've not converted a whole album as yet, only a single album track to test its ability to copy to a stick, which is very simple. I don't think copying a whole album would be too much hassle. On reading other's comments about editing converted mp3s, I've downloaded Audacity software rather than use the supplied Trans Music Manager (not sure this works with Windows 10 anyway). Testing this on the one track I've converted so far, it looks and works very well - just need to practice a lot with it!
Comparing to my old turntable from back in the 1970s, which was heavy and of solid all-metal construction, this is quite light, being mainly plastic (other than the turntable platter and inner workings which are metal), and does feel a bit flimsy - especially the buttons and the speed setting knob. Though not expensive, it's not cheap either, and would have expected a more solid construction. Pressing the start button activates auto play and it plays the disc through then returns the arm to its resting position which is fine, but if you need to manually select a track you have to use the tiny finger lift alongside the stylus which only juts out 5mm. Even though I don't have chunky fingers, it's size does make it rather awkward to lift and position the arm over the disc and lower the stylus carefully onto the record, which is a bit of a niggle. A less minor niggle is that there is no clip to secure the arm to its rest if you needed to move or transport the deck - you would have to use the wire tie that it was securing it when it was packed in its box. Having said that, I still like it a lot; combined with my Sony amp and KEF speakers it produces excellent sound, but the less than solid construction and niggles loses it 1 star.

White Light
White Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, 5 Jan. 2016
This review is from: White Light (Audio CD)
Really enjoy listening to this, great songs, and the Corrs at their very best.

Digipower 4.2Amp 4Port Usb Travel Wall Charger With Instasensetm Acd400I
Digipower 4.2Amp 4Port Usb Travel Wall Charger With Instasensetm Acd400I
Offered by CAMERA BOX KETTERING

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job when travelling on holiday!, 24 Nov. 2015
Saw this product advertised in a magazine and it got a good a review, so having several devices that require regular charging via USB (i.e., iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, etc.) that I take with me on holiday, thought this unit would be ideal. Often when I've been away on holiday, the hotel room has been lacking spare mains sockets, so this product is ideal in enabling charging of all your devices at once (well up to four anyway), which is usually more than enough. Also when on holiday, you most likely need to charge your devices at a specific time of day, unlike at home. Quite compact in size, so doesn't take up much space in your suitcase, and comes with two interchangeable plugs for both UK and continental sockets, which attach to the back of the unit. A very useful gadget for both travel and home use.

Super Short Lightning Extension Cable (10 cm)
Super Short Lightning Extension Cable (10 cm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job and works!, 20 Aug. 2015
I bought a Gmobi iStick earlier in the year for transferring files & documents direct between PC and iPhone / iPad, which is an excellent gadget and does away with the hassle of transferring via iTunes or via Wi-Fi. Whilst the USB end is fine, the base at the lightning connector end is rather wide, making it impossible to fit into the iPhone or iPad if it's in a case, so the case has to be temporarily removed. An extension cable seemed to solve the problem, and this does just that - and at 10 cm is an ideal length.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2016 6:40 PM GMT

Mudder Portable USB Flexible Stick Touch Switch LED White Light Lamp for Laptop Computer PC

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the laptop in poor light conditions, 11 Feb. 2015
Often when using my laptop I'm in poor lighting conditions - especially at this time of year when there's not much daylight - making it difficult to see the keyboard. Having searched around, I came across the Mudder USB flexible stick LED lamp, which seemed a better option than a battery operated lamp. It's design seemed to provide a good spread of light compared to a single and more feeble LED lamp, and does indeed provide good lighting to illuminate the whole keyboard. It may be a little better if the light was more directional, not shining into the eyes and / or on the screen, but that's a minor niggle. It looks and feels quite sturdy and is easily angled, staying in position. Unlike others I've looked at, this has a handy switch on the lamp's end, only requiring a light touch to turn on & off, so when not actually typing you can temporarily turn it off, making it unnecessary to unplug the unit each time when you don't need it. Gets my vote!

2 x New Replacement Batteries for BT Verve 450 and 410 Cordless Phones 5M702BMX 2.4v 600mAh NiMH Ni-MH UK BuyaBattery Branded (Quality Batteries without white labels)
Offered by BuyaBattery

5.0 out of 5 stars Working again!, 10 Sept. 2014
Received the product promptly, within the delivery time given, and after being phoneless for a few days due to the existing battery dying on me, it's now working fine! Having got through two batteries previously, which don't seem to last a long time, it's handy that two are supplied, as compared to my previous replacement, these are good value for money.

Honeywell ZPFL1 EZ Sense Flammable Gas Detector
Honeywell ZPFL1 EZ Sense Flammable Gas Detector

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, and it really works!, 21 May 2014
I'd noticed an obnoxious smell coming from the kitchen, which appeared to be emanating from the area of my gas cooker. I turned the gas off at the meter, and the smell gradually went away. As I don't use the gas cooker very much, I could afford to leave the gas turned off until I could confirm whether it was coming from the piping or the cooker itself, and whether I needed to report the leak.
I purchased this product based on the reviews it had been given, and it arrived two days after ordering. Turning the gas supply back on, I used the detector, and within a minute or two I was able to locate within inches the source of leaking - the knob mechanism which turns on one of the gas rings. It appeared the knob was sticking, and was not returning to its correct position, i.e., not springing back out at the off position. I removed the knob and a quick spray of WD40 around the mechanism cleared the jamming - problem solved!
Though not a substitute for a unit constantly monitoring for gas leaks, I highly recommend it for regularly checking around known sources of gas usage and appliances, and it will detect any leaks and their location very quickly indeed…and being small, is very portable.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium inkl SP1 32 Bit UK - Refurbished Full Version (PC DVD), 1 User - Win7 home Premium 32 Bit [DVD-ROM] Windows 7
Offered by WINLicense GmbH

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for me!, 28 April 2014
Having had my desktop PC (Dell Dimension 5150, 32-bit) for quite some time (almost 9 years) which came with Windows XP pre-installed, I was a bit apprehensive about upgrading it to Windows 7, which came pre-installed on my newer laptop. The full boxed version seemed rather expensive, and although this is supplied as advertised, being just the disc in its envelope together with its product code, it seemed rather cheap, but went ahead and bought it.
It arrived earlier than the estimated delivery date given, and I found installation very simple, and following the on-screen instructions, had my PC upgraded in less than an hour. Other than having to re-install my software and files (which I always ensure are backed up) I did have to update drivers for the sound card and my printer, but I've found it runs perfectly, having had it installed now for 1 month. Indeed, I find that much of my software now runs speedier than it did when it was running XP!
I suppose it depends on what Windows version / PC model other uses own, but it works for me, is excellent value for money, and highly recommend it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2014 12:28 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2