Profile for helsbells > Reviews

Content by helsbells

helsbells

Pegan Diet For Beginners: Reduce Inflammation & Lose Weight With A Paleo And Vegan Lifestyle(Lower Your Blood Sugar & Reverse Insulin Resistance,pegan ... cookbook, low carb recipes,vegan recipies)

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 31 May 2015
One of the recipes includes eggs, it's an extremely brief guide, just a few short pages, very badly written. Not pro vegan.

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying: A simple, effective way to banish clutter forever

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, wished it was longer, 7 May 2015
My only criticism of this book is that it's too short. I wanted more. I wish it went into more detail about things like tidying food cupboards or children's toys. It's been a really helpful book though and I feel really inspired to tidy and start living.

Bad Food Britain: How A Nation Ruined Its Appetite
Bad Food Britain: How A Nation Ruined Its Appetite

3.0 out of 5 stars Angry, ends abruptly, 25 April 2015
Although I enjoyed the book, the way it's written and the information it contains, I felt it lacked any optimism whatsoever. The author sounds angry and thoroughly annoyed the whole time but fails to offer any ideas on how to resolve the British eating crisis which I felt really let the book down. It ended so abruptly I was left wondering if anything had gone wrong with my kindle copy. It's a well written but there is no happy ending.

How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk
How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk

5.0 out of 5 stars So helpful, 22 Dec. 2014
Full of useful ideas, it helps you look at communicating when your child in a totally different way. Definitely with eating.

I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and was Shot by the Taliban
I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and was Shot by the Taliban

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and interesting, 22 Feb. 2014
Really enjoyed this book and felt an affiliation wit the author, a very accessible read which not only tells her story but also some of the history of Pakistan which in had no idea of before.

Chasing the Dragon
Chasing the Dragon
by Jackie Pullinger

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Christianity book I have ever read, 13 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Chasing the Dragon (Paperback)
This is by far the best Christianity story I have ever read. One of the things that made it so good was that I felt I could really relate to Pullingers "conversion". She is just a normal girl who is brought up a Christian, just like me. Her start on her spiritual journey made me feel like it could happen to any of us, it didn't take some dramatic conversion or miraculous story to get her started.
Another thing I liked about this book is that any doubt in my mind about the existence of God was totally eradicated from my mind after reading it. The amazing things that happen in this story just cannot be explained away. I have often felt rather sceptical about speaking in tongues, but after reading this book I felt so compelled to become closer to God. It really is an amazing book that I would recommend to anyone, Christian or non-Christian, but particularly those who are happily attending church week on week but have their doubts. I am not totally convinced that God exists, that Jesus is His son and that He is the only one who can save us. A truly amazing book.

Life is a Verb: 37 Days to Wake Up, be Mindful and Live Intentionally
Life is a Verb: 37 Days to Wake Up, be Mindful and Live Intentionally
by Patti Digh

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit wierd and "new age", 13 Dec. 2010
Although this book does give some good ideas for art projects I didn't feel comfortable with how it treated your dreams and wishes for the future like a religion. The book has a definate spiritual leaning to it which, as a Christian, made me feel a little uncomfortable. The tarot style cards at the back of the book were particularly perculiar and the use of spiritualistic and new age language put me off. If you are looking a book on art tips, how to progress further as an artist and where you artistic heart is calling you then this book is NOT for you. A better book would be Kelly-Rae Roberts "Taking Flight".
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2011 3:42 PM BST

Low-Cost Living: Live better, spend less
Low-Cost Living: Live better, spend less
by John Harrison

3.0 out of 5 stars practical, sensible and useful, 13 Dec. 2010
I found this book full of practical and useful advice. Admittedly most of what it told me I already knew, but to be reminded of the things you could be doing motivates you to go and do it. The book is written in a friendly, kindly way which is easy to read. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't give a failsafe white bread recipe and I didn't agree with some of the things he said about food safety.
I would recommend this book for people starting down the road towards self-sufficiency, but for an experienced and intelligent person some of the information in the book is pretty obvious.