Profile for a.k. > Reviews

Content by a.k.

a.k. (London, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Playmags Clear Colors Magnetic Tiles Deluxe Building Set with Car (100-Piece)
Playmags Clear Colors Magnetic Tiles Deluxe Building Set with Car (100-Piece)

5.0 out of 5 stars For creative tots!, 18 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This arrives in a box quite bigger than I was expecting given the pictures and that's a good thing because this is a treasure trove of construction pieces for your little ones. Unlike some other popular brick sets this offers more flexibility as it uses magnets rather than bricks and this opens up a whole new vista of construction, you're not limited to one way of attaching pieces, you can make some quite crazy and weird artworks!

This is a wonderfully substantial piece of work, there are so many different pieces that you're always finding something new, and new ways to put things together. I'm not joking when I say I wish I had one of these to play with during downtime at the office!

Osomount 360 Flex Universal In-Car Dashboard Windscreen Mount Holder for Smartphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspires confidence!, 18 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Prior to 360 Flex I had been using a fairly generic windscreen mount which was not up to the task of holding the quite-huge Nexus 6.

The Osomount, I am happy to report, has no such issue. The arms have a rubberised pad that stops my phone from wobbling about, even going over potholes! The windscreen mount has so far proved reliable and it hasn't fallen off once.

I like these universal mounts as my wife has an iPhone, there's no messing about with attachments, the springed-arms can cater for all phones.

Really pleased with it.

Love, Sex and Other Foreign Policy Goals
Love, Sex and Other Foreign Policy Goals
by Jesse Armstrong

3.0 out of 5 stars Pasable.. if I'm being generous, 14 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First of all I'm a huge Jessie Armstrong fan (as in I'm a fan to a large extent, not that I'm huge, although I am) from Peep Show to Thick of It and the amazing Thick of It companion book and wanted to hear his voice in a large, standalone, piece of work.

I interrupted my lifelong quest of finishing Infinite Jest (p. 250, 18 months) to take a hopefully education and illuminating jaunt into the Balkan war.

So let's get on with the review. This is a light-hearted and totally unbelievable jaunt (not going to say 'romp') into the world of a Andrew and some social justice warrior types trying to stage a play in the former Yugoslavia, during the 'troubles'. It's a fairly well-trodden road of pseudo-intellectual in amongst a group of fanatics who fancies one of them, so there's that. The protagonist has the airs and affectations of so many people you see today, the constant toenail-biting and introspection, unable to see a world outside his own purview, and we're supposed to care about him, are we? Honestly I didn't. I wouldn't give this guy the time of day but I persevered, please note that I did. I think I was expecting something a bit more fantastical and farcial, if it went Tom Sharpe I'd have been happier but it was all a bit of a damp squib in the end.

Braun Face 830 Facial Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush Including Mirror and Beauty Pouch

4.0 out of 5 stars Great all-rounder from a trusted brand, 9 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The BRAUN Face 830 Epilation and Cleansing comes neatly packed with a pre-installed AA battery, a small lilac pouch to keep the device and attachments in, an epilation tool that has a silver lid and a small brush to clean the epilator. The epilator can be easily pulled off and replaced with a soft brush facial cleansing tool which also comes in the package.

The actual main body of the device has 1 sliding switch which has 3 positions namely left and right, to change the direction of the rotating tweezers on the epilator and the centre which is the off position. The base of the main device has the opening for the battery compartment which is closed with a rotating cover that has a slit exactly the right size for a penny to fit into it to twist and remove the cover.

The epilating feature allows you to remove hair from delicate areas like upper lip and although you do feel the pinch of the hair follicle being removed, the pain is only very slight. I tend to get a bit red in the areas that have been epilated, so it's best to epilate before going to bed so any redness will have settled by the morning.

The facial cleansing brush is softer than I imagined, but I made the mistake of using it too long and pressing too hard the first time I used it and this made my skin very sensitive initially. The best thing to do is to use it for a short amount of time concentrating on you T zone. With regular use your skin will become healthier looking.

In summary this is a versatile and portable product which comes highly recommended.

Linksys RE3000W Universal N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender (Ethernet, Flexible Placement, Easy Set Up, WPS)
Offered by BESTBUYIT

3.0 out of 5 stars Troublesome setup, 13 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am comparing this with my existing BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 60, as I wanted to see if the LinkSys would improve speed and network reliability.

The first thing to note is that this product, or at least the one sent to me, is very light on documentation. There's barely a slip of help instructions, and although some of us are used to plugging and playing not everyone is this confident.

I tried the initial setup using just my Android phone to see how it went. I connected to the wireless network created by the Linkysys but the URL to connect to the extender's setup page (as noted in the documentation) didn't work via mobile. After some searching I found the IP address is 192.168.1.1 (seems pretty obvious now). After being able to connect to the setup page I tried connecting it to my router using WPS, and for some reason this was a real pain. It would register the WPS button (and that I had pressed the WPS on my router) but after some minutes it would just flash amber. I resorted to manually entering in my wireless key in the setup.

I have a suspicion some of these problems were due to me having another extender in use at the time, but even after I switched that off things weren't much better.

Having got the RE3000W up and running I found it generally performed as well as the BT extender but then after a few days it lost connection with the router and needed to be re-started. Also it's wider than the BT unit and crowds the socket, making it difficult to plug something next to it.

All in all I would go back to my BT extender, but it was worthwhile knowing the grass isn't always greener.

Chapter Two:  Lost Light
Chapter Two: Lost Light
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good but disturbing, 22 Feb. 2015
I was really enjoying this original series up until the gruesome detail of the cold case, I couldn't actually take it and had to FFWD part of it, actually much like Bosch himself who had to leave the room.

Well done to Amazon for producing this and I hope it's continued, it's amazing what the new breed of independent content providers and making these days, exciting times.

Mistaken for Strangers [DVD]
Mistaken for Strangers [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Berninger

5.0 out of 5 stars The heirs to the glimmering world, 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Mistaken for Strangers [DVD] (DVD)
Tom Berninger is the cheeky younger brother in his older brother's shadow enlisted as part of the road crew and potential videographer for web content. We follow him trying his best to fill both roles against some very disinterested and sometimes hostile management.

As a long-time fan of The National I was fully prepared for a art house genre-defying movie but what really surprised me was how much warmth and emotion it elicited in me. Tom really does try but it's never quite good enough, I empathised with him and wished he would succeed at something.

The DVD has bonus scenes including a Q&A which makes this a great reason to buy on DVD (I'm not sure the streaming sites include this). What really came through in the Q&A is what a large part Matt's wife, Carin, played in the finished structure of the film, she saw that the film would be more interesting when looked at from Tom's POV and the band are bit-players in the story of the Berninger siblings, she deserves a lot of the credit.

I can understand some of the negative reviews, there's not a single National song played in its entirety (aside from some bonus content) but I can see that stuff on YouTube. What Tom and Carin delivered here is much more valuable.

geo Minim Electricity Energy Monitor
geo Minim Electricity Energy Monitor
Offered by Green Energy Options

5.0 out of 5 stars ROI 100%, 1 Feb. 2015
Gather round, Amazonians, for I have a tale to tell. For the past year our electricity usage has been creeping up which I thought was just due to rising prices or maybe lights being left on. I ordered the geo Minim as it has the nicest colour display with usage bar, not like those clunky LCD things, also for the fact that it can handle 2 tariffs.

I installed it on a Friday, which was simplicity itself, the CT clip can go over any of the 4 cables into the outside meter (although the manual says to use Live), then it's just a matter of setting up the display unit with date/time, tarrifs, and this device can also add daily standing charges to the usage! The next day, sitting around looking at the usage (we prefer to see it in pence/hour), we noticed a huge spike despite no heavy utilities being on. The Minim was recording sustained usage of 3kW, KILOWATTS, which is like a tumble dryer being on, or a fan heater. We went around the house room-to-room turning off every switch to find the cause, even the fridge/freezer, still the same reading.

The next obvious reason was that it had to be a faulty device. I was preparing to re-package and arrange a return but first decided to take my own meter reading and then another after an hour. Indeed there was a movement of 3kWh, so the Minim was good! Maybe we had a faulty electricity meter?!

Then I had something of an epiphany, the only remaining room/area we hadn't switched off was our boiler. We control our hot water from a timer, and we've always been amazed/ very pleased at how we never seem to run out of hot water (can you see what's coming yet?) our gas boiler, repeat, gas boiler, is timed to turn on once in the morning for an hour and once in the evening and even during summer, when we reduce the timings, we still always have hot water to hand. I called over my brother-in-law who knows plumbing. It transpires our rather state-of-the-art water tank can also act as an immersion heater and had somehow, mysteriously, been switched on. So whenever our hot water had been used it made itself busy heating the stuff using electricity!! this is very nice of it to do so but was costing me an absolute fortune! My daytime electricity tariff is seven times more than gas!

I can safely say this wonderful little device has paid for itself within 2 days, we were completely unsuspecting, we would never have known the water tank had been switched on. Now we've uncovered the behemoth-energy-thief-from-hell we can return to monitoring the normal things like lights or Playstations being left on.

Nexus 6 Case, Spigen [Stand Feature][Wallet S] - Black (SGP11247)
Nexus 6 Case, Spigen [Stand Feature][Wallet S] - Black (SGP11247)
Offered by Spigen UK Store

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite case, 22 Jan. 2015
I can't understand the negative reviews for this case, it's practically perfect.

Before I tried this case I had ordered the Orzly® - Multi-Function Wallet Case for Motorola NEXUS 6 - BLUE Wallet Style Phone Case with Intergrated Stand and Built-In Auto Sleep / Wake Sensor Functionality Custom Built for the GOOGLE NEXUS 6 SmartPhone ( 2014 Model ) which feels a bit slimer and it quite good APART from the cut-outs for the buttons which are just holes, there's no built-in buttons on the Orzly and it's now my spare. The Spigen has built-in buttons which sit over the Nexus buttons and this makes all the difference in the world. I can understand the comments about the buttons not being differentiated, they do have the '+'/ '-' & 'Power' signs on them but they're too close together to differentiate without looking but I'm not deducting marks for that.

The wallet is great, I keep my Oyster, one credit and one debit card in there and have consigned my previous card holder to oblivion. It's great having this all in one place, although the risks of loss are exponentially worse!

This case also works with QI charging so my Nexus 6 never leaves it. The Nexus 6 is a wonderful phone and deserves to be looked after.

Math Shorts - Derivatives
Math Shorts - Derivatives

5.0 out of 5 stars This guy's a hero, 22 Jan. 2015
I'm a big fan of Mr. Bektas' Kindle books, they explain things in a logical step-by-step approach and I find myself understanding concepts quite easily. I can differentiate now! Excellent author, look for his other work too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7