Profile for Grinny > Reviews

Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found
Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found
by Cheryl Strayed

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, 10 Aug 2013
I'm a sucker for strong female characters and Cheryl Strayed is a great example. I found the book uplifting despite some of the themes of drugs, abuse, and depression. In the book, the author goes on a trip unprepared and suffers some of the consequences. I've read other reviews that call it irresponsible and compare it to Into The Wild, where the main character travels to Alaska because he's disillusioned with consumerism and wants to connect with nature. While the trip into nature (and the title) have similarities, I don't think Cheryl is trying to convince anyone to go off and hurt themselves in the wild. She takes a trip to find and heal herself, and she comments on that trip with introspective and insightful musings. She's a funny, sarcastic, and kind narrator and touches on themes of self-loathing and self-healing that spoke volumes to me. After reading about her physically-grueling trip, I decided to take my fitness more seriously and challenge myself more in my life. It's been an inspiring and memorable read.

SHOE RACK 4 TIER NATURAL WOOD CRISS CROSS DESIGN
SHOE RACK 4 TIER NATURAL WOOD CRISS CROSS DESIGN
Offered by Prime Furnishing UK
Price: 27.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for its price - very pleased, 10 Aug 2013
I wasn't expecting much from this shoe rack because of its price, and was prepared to replace it when we had more money to spend. In our previous home, we had a sturdy shoe rack with tilting drawers that lasted us over ten years and I wasn't hoping for anything of the sort with this product. However, I was pleasantly surprised. It was easy to set up, it appears to be of better quality than the image suggests, and it's only slightly wobbly but sturdier than I expected. We have it set up in a corner so it gets support on two sides, and have about 20+ pairs of shoes on it, plus heavy coats and bags on the top. It works perfectly. Despite the non-gloss finish and dirty shoes we place on it, it has remained relatively clean. I'm very happy and impressed with this product, especially considering the price.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Harper Perennial Modern Classics
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Harper Perennial Modern Classics
by Hunter S. Thompson
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Well-written and interesting but depressing, 10 Aug 2013
I bought this book because of a recommendation. The writing is very good, and it gives you a window into a different time and culture. It's definitely an impressive piece of journalism and historically very important. My own reading preference is for books I can read on my commute to work, that take me into a different world and provide a pleasant experience while teaching me a new perspective. This book definitely takes you into a different world and a different perspective, but I also found it to a rough and depressing read. The reality in the book is a mix between disillusionment, self-destruction, and a hopelessness that made me feel a bit empty on the inside. It's definitely a great book, and I think I would enjoy it in a different context but I personally found it unpleasant to read. I'm not a prude or have an issue with the drugs and violence described. It has its funny moments also but I didn't enjoy it overall.

Remington S5500 Sleek and Smooth Hair Straightener
Remington S5500 Sleek and Smooth Hair Straightener

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, 10 Aug 2013
I opted for this straightener because I didn't want to spend a lot on a GHD. I use it occasionally on straight hair to make it shiny and even more straight. My hair is quite fine and is damaged easily. I found it comfortable to use, it heats up quite quickly, and I'm able to straighten my hair with a lasting effect on a low temperatute. It hasn't visibly damanged my hair (I'm not a 'power user'). I did use it with a protective spray and went easy on the tips. Good for its price.

KONTROL Ceramic Humidifier
KONTROL Ceramic Humidifier
Price: 4.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what's expected, 10 Aug 2013
I bought this during the winter months when the heater made my nose and eyes dry, and made sleeping impossible. It's very easy to use, made well, and does exactly what's advertised.

Oralmedic Mouth Ulcer Treatment - 2 x 0.2ml
Oralmedic Mouth Ulcer Treatment - 2 x 0.2ml
Offered by NHL Pharmacy
Price: 6.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't live without it, 10 Aug 2013
Best ulcer cure you'll find, guaranteed. I've tried them all! I suffer from occasional ulcers that always come at the wrong time and sit in the wrong place. I was already at the stage of accepting my fate of waiting up to two weeks for an ulcer to pass when I discovered this product. It comes with an Earbud filled with purple fluid that releases when you break the tip. You then dry the ulcer and press the tip of the bud against it for a few seconds and wash your mouth when you're done. The product creates a protective and healing barrier around the ulcer that makes it go away a lot faster. Most importantly - it doesn't hurt AT ALL while it's healing. No more trying to avoid touching it, avoid talking, chewing, whatever activity that's impaired by the ulcer. It hurts quite a lot during the application, but nothing compared to an ulcer getting bigger and bigger and hurting all the time. It stops small ulcers completely and helps bigger ones heal faster. There have been times when I didn't cover the ulcer properly with the first application, so re-applied it again to that area to make sure it's sealed. You should be able to touch the ulcer and feel none of that sharp, familiar pain. Maybe a bit of aching after having pressed acid against it just seconds ago. I can't live without this product. I take it with me on trips and make sure to have some around at all times. Super relieved to have found it in the UK.

The Un-Haggadah -- How to Keep the Conversation & Wine Flowing at Your Seder
The Un-Haggadah -- How to Keep the Conversation & Wine Flowing at Your Seder
Price: 1.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought for passover with non-Jewish friends, 10 Aug 2013
Had really high hopes for this product, as I was hosting my first Seder independently from my parents, and my Christian friends came over to share the fun. Having grown up in Israel with traditional Seders, I found the Haggadah a bit too quirky. The into was alright but after a while we swapped to a quick Seder online version and let this one be. Not too excited about it and won't be using it again next year.

Peppersmith 100% Xylitol Chewing Gum, Fine English Peppermint, 10 Pellets 15 g (Pack of 12, Total 120 Pellets)
Price: 15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very tasty but gets old quickly, 10 Aug 2013
I loved this chewing gum and used to buy a pack at a time at a local shop, so I decided to save a bit and get a big pack. The gum tastes great and knowing it's more natural made me happy. I was addicted to it for weeks but then got a bit tired of having it every day. Still, very good. The only let-down is that the boxes don't stay closed very well so I constantly end up with gum all over my purse.

The Princess and The Goblin [DVD] [2007]
The Princess and The Goblin [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Joss Ackland
Offered by globalmovies
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites, 10 Aug 2013
This is one of my favorite cartoons as a child. I love this story because of the strong female character (even if she has a boy help her out and a protective father). A curious princess, who isn't afraid of an adventure, and acts bravely to help her father. Definitely one of the only princess stories I'll be sharing with my future kids. The characters are very unique, the songs are lovely, and I still love watching this as an adult. Recommended!

Ancol Ergo Cat Slicker Brush
Ancol Ergo Cat Slicker Brush
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Great brush but a bit sharp, 10 Aug 2013
I bought this brush for my two short/medium-haired cats. It's the first brush we've ever bought, at the recommendation of a friend. One has taken to it immediately and the other needs a bit of coaxing but lets me brush him. It collects hair very well, especially now that they're shedding. It allows me to get a good handful of hair off them. The handle is very comfortable and the brush is well made. My only concern is that the pins are a bit sharp, I've scratched and poked myself lightly a few times, and I get worried when my cats try to bite it. I also try to be careful with pressing down too hard when I brush them because I'm worried I might scratch their skin. Definitely recommend it but be a bit careful.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5