Profile for Miss K.L.Davies > Reviews

Content by Miss K.L.Davies

Miss K.L.Davies (West Midlands United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Presentation Now: Prepare a Perfect Presentation in Less Than 3 Hours
Presentation Now: Prepare a Perfect Presentation in Less Than 3 Hours
by Andrew Lightheart

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and informative., 5 Jan. 2016
One of the issues I am aware I have when giving a presentation, is that it is very easy to go off on a tangent and lose track of what I'm trying to say! I also want to sound as though I'm not reading a script and finding that middle line between a natural presentation and a professional presentation can be quite difficult. It also means able to read your audience well and engage with them in the way that they react best to. Presentation Now by Andrew Lightheart is one of the best books I've read on this subject. With clear signposts to keep you focused on what you want to say - and what the audience want to hear - it makes you look not only at the big picture but the details of what you say and how your say it.

I particularly liked the chapter on benefits and downsides in particular the experience matching. For me (as I speak at conferences where the audience are non-specialists) this was particularly useful on how to tailor the presentation for those who have a little bit of knowledge in the field but who want to learn more.

The book is written to cover everything from pitches to keynote speeches and so it will stay on my desk where I can dip into it for ideas and to keep me orientated no matter whether I'm speaking to a single decision maker or several hundred people at a conference.

Highly recommend it - and having done this for 25 years plus, I can safely say that it has given me new enthusiasm for this area of my professional life.

The Magpies
The Magpies

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 1 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Magpies (Kindle Edition)
Every time I picked up this book to continue reading it I felt uncomfortable. Kudos to the author for keeping the suspension going.

Tune In Tokyo:The Gaijin Diaries
Tune In Tokyo:The Gaijin Diaries

5.0 out of 5 stars The reinvention of the travel memoir, 5 May 2014
I bought this book with one of those amazon credit emails (I.e. By accident) - and it sat on my iPad for a while before I got round to reading it. Then once I started it, I had to race to finish it. It's hysterical, with the kind of blasé throw away lines that keep rattling around in your head after reading. Whilst I have no burning desire to visit Tokyo after reading it that doesn't matter - because Tim has visited it and kindly let me greedily observe whilst he did all the heavy lifting. Exquisite!

Confessions of an Undercover Cop (The Confessions Series)
Confessions of an Undercover Cop (The Confessions Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Really easy to dip in and out of, 2 Oct. 2013
I found this entertaining and with each chapter a vignette it was very easy to dip in and out of. There is a good mix of humour and discovery and the author manages to infer the painful situations some of the victims were in with pathos and without dramatising their situation. That shows an incredible respect for the individuals. The writing is friendly and it's almost like a selection of conversations with a friend over a glass of wine.

The Ghost of Christmas Past (Midchester Memories (Sally Quilford Pocket Novels) Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 17 Feb. 2013
Really enjoyed this. Have read several of Sally's books and I'm always impressed by her level of detail which she infuses into each character.

The Ruby Brooch (Time Travel Romance) (The Celtic Brooch Series Book 1)
The Ruby Brooch (Time Travel Romance) (The Celtic Brooch Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable read, 17 Feb. 2013
I read an awful lot, 5 or 6 books a week and a have a fairly eclectic taste. I downloaded this based on comments on twitter & send a very enjoyable Sunday curled up being transported through this book. If I had one criticism it is that the 'home based' character Elliot wasn't well rounded enough, but those such as Sarah, Francis & Henry more than made up for it. Will definitely get the sequels.

Angelfall (Penryn & The End Of Days Series Book 1)
Angelfall (Penryn & The End Of Days Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 4 Dec. 2012
I downloaded this a while ago and have only just read it - and I loved it. A fantastic novel and I hope there is a sequel.

She-Wolves: The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth
She-Wolves: The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth

4.0 out of 5 stars A day you lean something is never wasted, 12 Jun. 2012
I must admit that I do love historical fiction and I also love textbooks (my son calls me a boffin) so this for me was a mixture of both. I learnt more about the queens preceding Mary and Elizabeth the 1st than I previously knew, and in an entertaining and informative style. I would have liked more content on Mary and Elizabeth BUT that was not the purpose of the book - but once we'd reached that point I would have been very interested in the auhor's viewpoint and collated data.

Crap Dates: Disastrous Encounters from Single Life
Crap Dates: Disastrous Encounters from Single Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but roll about hilarious, 12 Jun. 2012
I remember the tweets about First Date Hell so was pleased to find them in a book. Yes it's short. Yes it's a collection of tweets. Yes you may occasionally make strange sounds when reading it. But it made me laugh and thank the dating deities that I never had a date as a bad as these.

Mrs Darcy Versus the Aliens
Mrs Darcy Versus the Aliens
by Jonathan Pinnock

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it from start to finish, 2 Sept. 2011
Wow - as an avid kindle owner it is now rare for me to buy a real book (despite having a houseful) and the only complaint I have about this book is it wasn't available on kindle BUT this is one I have already read twice despite only buying it last week. There are jokes galore on each page but each character stands on it own and so I was turning pages to say what happens and sniggering at the jokes as they hit me relentlessly. It was almost as though it was a book with a secrets to share - song lyrics, film references, artists, poets - each were recognisable and didn't detract from the story itself - more like a comment from a mate in the pub that made you snort in a very un ladylike manner. It's true. Jon Pinnock made me snort and I just thankful I was not in public whilst reading this book. I am on tentacles waiting for the sequel and the only downside for me is that this is the first book by the author - how much more satisfying it would be to find he has a back catalogue I can purchase merrily and indulge over the weekend. so please write quickly Mr Pinnock and produce the next instalment - as I'm dying to know what happens next. Oh, and I have re-named our sat nav Annie, in your honour. (and this is the first review I've ever done despite reading at least 7 or 8 books a week - this book is THAT good!!!) And yes, I meant to say tentacles!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2011 12:09 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2