Profile for Colin Cramp > Reviews

Content by Colin Cramp

Colin Cramp (Isle of Wight, U.K.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Sound Of Love: The Very Best Of Darlene Love
The Sound Of Love: The Very Best Of Darlene Love

4.0 out of 5 stars COULD HAVE CONTAINED MORE TRACKS, 1 May 2016
This cd is made up of 17 tracks on which Darlene Love is the lead singer, although 8 were originally released under group names. 14 of the tracks were produced by Phil Spector.
Plus points:
The cd comes with an informative 12 page booklet.
The tracks are in recording date order.
Minus point:
The total playing time is only 47 and a half minutes, leaving space for up to 10 additional tracks if the manufacturer so desired, such as the original recording of "Chapel Of Love" (slower and different arrangement to the Dixie Cups big hit), and Darlene Love's 4 Christmas songs. This is why I have deducted 1 star. I, and I am sure others, would willingly pay proportionately more for additional tracks.

Be My Baby: The Very Best Of The Ronettes
Be My Baby: The Very Best Of The Ronettes

4.0 out of 5 stars A SHAME THAT THIS CD DOES NOT CONTAIN MORE RONETTES TRACKS FROM THE SPECTOR CATALOGUE, 20 Mar. 2016
This cd contains 18 tracks recorded for the Spector label, all bar one of which were produced by Phil Spector. The odd one out, produced by Jeff Barry, is "I Can Hear Music", being the original recording - before the Beach Boys cover version.

The total running time is just under 56 minutes, so I wonder why the compiler chose only 18 songs. I can understand why their 3 Xmas songs were excluded, but why not include at least the following and maybe more?:
How Does It Feel? [B side of Walking In The Rain]
Chapel Of Love [recorded before the Dixie Cups]
Blues For Baby [B side of Born To Be Together]
Oh I Love You [B side of Is This What I Get For Loving You?]
I have looked into other Ronettes cds, but a (double) cd of their complete Spector master recordings unfortunately appears to be non-existent.

This cd comes with a 12 page booklet, with notes by Lenny Kaye. The recording dates of each song are shown, and all except tracks 8, 9 & 10 are in date order.

Laughter & Tears [Reissue]
Laughter & Tears [Reissue]
Offered by mrtopseller

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT ALL ORIGINAL STUDIO RECORDINGS, 19 Mar. 2016
Minus points:
Only on playing this cd did I discover that 2 tracks - "Solitaire" and "That's When The Music Takes Me" - are not the original 1972 studio recordings. Both tracks are recorded "live" from, I believe, the 1974 London Festival Hall concert. There is no indication of this on the cd insert.
I was hoping the cd would be accompanied by a booklet containing, among other things, some detailed information about the recordings; but there is only an insert listing the track titles and composers.
The 18 tracks are unfortunately not in recording date order.
For these 3 reasons I have given 2 stars only.
Plus point:
Neil Sedaka wrote 4 and co-wrote the other 14 songs.

eMarkooz(TM) new 2m 2meter 2metre Flexible Stainless Steel Chrome Standard Shower Head Bathroom Hose Pipe
Offered by Dkbees

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfactory, 13 Jan. 2016
I needed a 2 meter long shower hose, and these are not easy to find (most are shorter). This fits fine, no leaks. Water flow, as expected, not great, but this is because of the small bore.

The Very Best Of Bobby Vee
The Very Best Of Bobby Vee

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT QUITE THE VERY BEST, 30 July 2015
There are at least 3 cds with the same title. This is a review of the 2004 release (purple front)
The good news. This cd contains all Bobby Vee's UK hits, in what appears to be roughly chronological order, and is accompanied by a fairly useful 12 page booklet.
The bad news. Of the 20 tracks, 8 are covers of Buddy Holly hits. Surely, whoever compiled this cd could have instead included 8 Bobby Vee singles that weren't hits in the UK, such as "Devil Or Angel", BV's first US top ten hit, and ""Come Back When You Grow Up", his last US top ten hit.

Ultimate Collection:  Gladys Knight & The Pips
Ultimate Collection: Gladys Knight & The Pips

4.0 out of 5 stars MOTOWN MAGIC, 15 July 2015
This CD consists solely of Motown recordings. All Gladys Knight And The Pips Motown hits are here, but the tracks are not in chronological order, and the 2 pages of notes in the CD booklet lack any useful information. These 2 minus points are why I knocked off 1 star.

Letter Full Of Tears
Letter Full Of Tears

1.0 out of 5 stars WRONG TRACK TITLES SHOWN, 15 July 2015
This review is from: Letter Full Of Tears (Audio CD)
There are several different Gladys Knight and the Pips CDs titled "Letter Full Of Tears". Three of these, one of which I purchased and review here, appear to have the same picture on the front. To avoid any confusion, this review is in respect of the Hallmark CD, catalogue number 713342.
The CD insert lists the 11 tracks as: 1.Letter Full Of Tears, 2.You Broke Your Promise, 3.Operator, 4.I'll Trust In You, 5.Morning Noon And Night, 6.I Can't Stand By, 7.Every Beat Of My Heart, 8.Room In Your Heart, 9.Guess Who, 10.Stop Running Around, 11. What Shall I Do. The actual tracks are as follows: 1.What Shall I Do, 2.I'll Trust In You, 3.Go Away Stay Away, 4.Stop And Get A Hold Of Yourself, 5.Love Call, 6.Letter Full Of Tears, 7.I Want That Kind Of Love, 8.Jungle Love (Pips only), 9.Before Now, After Then, 10.I Can't Stand By, 11.You Broke Your Promise.
There are no "sleeve" notes.
The quality of the sound reproduction is poor.

Ain't That Loving You Baby (Bonus Master)
Ain't That Loving You Baby (Bonus Master)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 21 April 2014
This track, which I purchased because the "remastered version" I purchased an hour earlier had a track error (see my other review), is reproduced perfectly.

Ain't That Loving You Baby (Remastered Version)
Ain't That Loving You Baby (Remastered Version)

1.0 out of 5 stars Error on this track, 21 April 2014
A few seconds into this track there is an error - it jumps part of a beat. I therefor had to download another different track of the same master recording, which is perfect.

Apple Of My Eye
Apple Of My Eye

5.0 out of 5 stars UK FOLLOW-UP TO TREAT HER RIGHT, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Apple Of My Eye (MP3 Download)
Roy Head originally recorded "Apple Of My Eye" around 1960, then re-recorded this US hit version in May 1965, at the same session as he recorded the excellent "Treat Her Right". "Apple Of My Eye" was Roy's third top 40 hit in the US.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5