Profile for A. G. Horne > Reviews

Content by A. G. Horne

A. G. Horne "Angela" (London, UK)

Fiorelli Womens Serena  FH7967 Black
Fiorelli Womens Serena FH7967 Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Fiorelli Womens Serena (Shoes)
Perfect size and shape for business. Comfortable on the shoulder or cross body and secure. As a vegetarian, I love that it's made of a very nice quality synthetic material - not an animal's skin.

Unpeople: Britain's Secret Human Rights Abuses
Unpeople: Britain's Secret Human Rights Abuses
by Mark Curtis

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading for Any British Humanitarian, 6 Oct 2012
I came across this book only recently through a recommendation in a Noam Chomsky book. Mr Curtis details crimes committed by Her Majesty's Government overseas since World War II.

This is not bedtime reading: you are guaranteed nightmares as each chapter is easy to digest but the themes are hard to stomach: legitimate overseas governments overthrown or destabilised in order to secure the business and/or political interests of an unaccountable British elite.

After reading Unpeople, I now understand the obsession with security and surveillance in the UK. Also, I now have a complete disregard for statements by politicians of any party.

I am grateful to Mr Curtis for this awakening.

Mastering Creative Anxiety: 24 Lessons for Writers, Painters, Musicians, and Actors from America's Foremost Creativity Coach
by Eric Maisel

3.0 out of 5 stars Disenchanted, 24 April 2012
I had high hopes when I ordered this book from Amazon. Eric Maisel is a respected creativity coach and author. I absolutely loved his book, Creativity for Life, which has given me invaluable guidance in managing the demands of my art (I am writing a transformational novel-memoir).

Mr Maisel makes the excellent point that creative energy does involve experiencing a certain degree of anxiety. The question is how to manage this anxiety and still be productive in your artistic discipline: how to show up each day even if you are scared.

Some of his techniques are OK, don't get me wrong, but the lessons seemed to lack a deeper dimension for me. Perhaps it is because the author has aimed this book at those who spend too much time in their heads, are caught up in their own dramas and are racked by addictions. Perhaps I am too sensible and boring.

Black Hawk Down (2 Disc Set) [2002] [DVD]
Black Hawk Down (2 Disc Set) [2002] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Josh Hartnett
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 9 Feb 2012
I've only seen this film recently although I am a fan of both Ridley Scott and Tony Scott films especially "Gladiator", "Body of Lies" and "Man on Fire".

My sister and I have become obsessed with watching Black Hawk Down at least four times in the same month. The ensemble cast are understated and elegant in their portrayal of highly trained men in battle. The special effects are invisible until you watch the special features. The soundtrack is haunting in its beauty and dissonance. Some of the shots of the helicopters flying in formation seemed to be a ballet of black metal and sunlight. Stunning.

My mother found the battle scenes so realistic that, at first, she had to leave the room. Before seeing this film she could never tell me about the battle she witnessed as a child - Monte Cassino, 1944. This film helped me understand the trauma she experienced.

Thank you Ridley Scott.

Bubble Wrapped Children: How social networking is transforming the face of 21st century adoption
by Helen Oakwater

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarity & Compassion, 6 Jan 2012
The themes in this book are extremely powerful. The author does not judge and condemn. The book is written with clarity and compassion from someone who knows first-hand the sheer hell in adopting traumatised children. A loving family environment is not enough. That cannot be exaggerated.

From reading the book, I gained a clearer idea of what trauma is and the lasting negative impact on a child. Also the author breaks down the elements of "outstanding" versus "toxic" parenting. Very disturbing but enlightening. It was moving to finally understand why birth mothers repeatedly have babies despite the children being subsequently removed by social services. It is not through promiscuity or lack of contraception. The birth parents themselves are victims of a previous generation of toxic parenting. The sense of worthlessness and shame they experience damages everything in their lives.

The advent of Facebook has completely transformed the delicate dynamics of family life for adopted children and their parents. It is chilling to realise the easy access toxic birth parents now have to the children they are unable to care for but want to have back by any means fair or foul.

I would recommend ANYONE who works with young people and especially policy and decision makers to read this book. If we can interrupt the damage done by generations of toxic parenting by providing properly targeted therapeutic care who knows how society as a whole could benefit? The author provides ideas and solutions that are worth heeding.

Meditation for the Love of it: Enjoying Your Own Deepest Experience
Meditation for the Love of it: Enjoying Your Own Deepest Experience
by Sally Kempton

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 3 Oct 2011
I had to order a second copy. The first one I gave to a friend who was flying to a war-zone in the Middle-East the following day. She saw how I had been moved by the timeless wisdom just within the first chapters alone.

Sally Kempton wrote this book for the committed meditator. I have been meditating daily now for nearly four years and, for me, reading this book has been like warm rain in a parched desert. The guidance, wisdom and useful exercises Sally provides in her easy, clear and engaging style have helped my meditation practice to bloom in the most unexpected ways.

I am re-reading the book as I am hungry for every drop of grace.

ZENBOW Aroma Diffuser with Changing Mood Lighting
ZENBOW Aroma Diffuser with Changing Mood Lighting
Offered by Amazing Health

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 28 July 2011
I bought this ioniser/diffuser in June 2011 because I felt the air quality in my London neighbourhood had deteriorated with so many construction projects on the go. I was waking up each day with a sore throat and chesty cough from the fine dust.

The diffuser cleared the air instantly while I slept. It comes with a handy little water jug to fill the 80ml capacity tank under the removable light cone. It switches itself off after four hours of quiet operation - a little white noise which is bearable while sleeping. I have been able to sleep in mountain quality air and have avoided any of the flue/viral symptoms that had plagued my colleagues, clients and friends.

My only criticism is the manufacturer recommends we do not use citrus essential oils as they are corrosive to the plastic tank in the unit. Shame because I love mandarin and lime essential oils. OK, so I won't be retiring my candle diffuser this winter.

Overall, a worthy purchase as the essential oils I use have also acted as an effective insect repellent: who knew that mosquitoes hang around London on balmy June nights!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2012 10:53 PM BST

Touch of Silence: Tibetan Bowls for Meditation
Touch of Silence: Tibetan Bowls for Meditation

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite: Heaven on Earth, 26 July 2011
I have been meditating daily since November 2007 and yearned to hear some decent Tibetan bowls for my meditation practice. I was wary of the ambient, shallow, tinny sounds used in spas and some yoga centres but since downloading Touch of Silence a few days ago I have no negative comments to share here.

The album comprises just one track lasting 55 minutes. It is produced with an exquisite attention to detail that only a master could provide; I feel as though I am meditating in a temple high in the Himalayas not in my bedroom in South West London.

Normally, after twenty minutes of sitting still, I get restless but when the album ends almost an hour later I feel bereft and don't want to move.
I recommend listening with good quality headphones that surround the entire ear to really benefit from the sound. I use Sony MDR-V700 but any other professional DJ quality headphones would work too.

Master Class in Fiction Writing: Techniques from Austen, Hemingway, and Other Greats: Lessons from the All-Star Writer's Workshop
by Adam Sexton

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has saved my sanity ..., 26 April 2006
With gratitude to Mr Sexton for the timely lessons in his Master Class. I am a writing my first (and perhaps only) novel; cursed with ignorance and perfectionism I have little idea what I am doing. This book has shown me where, in the world of fiction, to find the best examples of characterisation, plot, description, dialogue, point of view. Armed with this knowledge I can now intuitively pull the ragged pieces of my novel together by learning from masters of the art.