Profile for Lisa > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Doctor Who 2m x 170cm Wrapping Paper - Blue
Doctor Who 2m x 170cm Wrapping Paper - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Really liked the paper and so did my daughter, 28 Nov 2014
Really liked the paper and so did my daughter. The only gripe I have is that I ordered three rolls all together, which arrived separately packed, each one in an enormous 50x100cm box, one of which could have housed all three if a box that size had to be used. I just found it a bit ludicrous and really rather wasteful. Lugging it all home from work was an impressive feat.

Victorian Father Christmas - Gift Box (Large - 23 x 23 x 12cm)
Victorian Father Christmas - Gift Box (Large - 23 x 23 x 12cm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Nov 2014
Lovely sturdy and pretty gift box which arrived in excellent condition

The Mageri Series Boxed Set (Books 1-3)
The Mageri Series Boxed Set (Books 1-3)

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor poor poor, 27 Jun 2014
Poor poor poor. I was badly misled by the reviews here. The premise is interesting but the writing and editing are so terrifically poor that I made it to the end of book 1 by gritting my teeth and didn't bother to continue to book 2, which is rare for me. It's heavy on the gushing about the potential for sexual chemistry between the heroine and the various male protagonists and light on much else. Maybe for others but not for me.

The Last Lord Of The Moors
The Last Lord Of The Moors

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked the naturalness of the characters and the lack of ..., 27 Jun 2014
Charming and well written light reading. I liked the naturalness of the characters and the lack of machismo and melodrama which modern romance writers often use. This has a lovely feel and I will read more by the author.

Kickback (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 3)
Kickback (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 27 Jun 2014
Nice easy reading crime thriller as part of a series. A bit superficial but reasonably well written and plotted

Deadly Obsession (DS Jack Mackinnon Crime Series Book 1)
Deadly Obsession (DS Jack Mackinnon Crime Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 27 Jun 2014
Fairly standard crime thriller. Reasonably well written and a decent plot.

Wool (Wool Trilogy Series Book 1)
Wool (Wool Trilogy Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Ripping yarn, 24 May 2014
Really really good premise of a post apocolyptic society. It's really well thought out and multidimensional in detail and colour.
In summary this society live in a silo which protects them from the damaged world outside. Anyone who breaks the taboo and challenges the status quo gets sent outside "To clean" the visual sensors - it's a one way trip. The story starts gradually and eventually out of its threads, a character appears who really starts to expose what lies beneath the surface of a seemingly humdrum existance. I wont give much more detail except to say this is a good one for devoted conspiracy theorists. The pacing of the book isn't quite right. I enjoyed the slow build of the first half. The second half just raced away too quickly - it felt a little rushed. never the less well worth while. I recommend it

Sterling (Mageri Series: Book 1)
Sterling (Mageri Series: Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Reads like fan fic, 24 May 2014
I read a lot of different genres. Recently I have read some Elizabeth Hunter and Veronica Roth which I have enjoyed. So when this book came up as a recomendation with good reviews, I downloaded it to my kindle and prepared to enjoy.
It's an original premise which I think could be interesting in the right hands. Our heroine is introduced to a creepy supernatural world through a traumatic event and has to learn to nagivate her way through her new life, with the help of her newfound friends. Fair enough. But the poor quality of the writing and the editing really grated on me. For example, sometimes I couldn't work out who was speaking. I found the characters irritating and one dimensional, and I felt the book read from the perspective of a hormonal teenager who is convinced that every man she meets fancies her.
I honestly dont get it. I must be missing something fundamental, reading the reviews. All I can say is that it's not for me. I pushed myself to the end of the first book and have given up on the second. Wont read anymore. Shame.

Raspberry Pi Projects for the Evil Genius
Raspberry Pi Projects for the Evil Genius
by Donald Norris

5.0 out of 5 stars Much joy to be had, 20 Jan 2014
Given as a gift to my husband with a raspberry pi and pored over with much hilarity. I think in retrospect that a book on python would have been more useful to get going, but the ideas provoked a lot of family discussion about projects and was a good introduction to the basic anatomy of the thing for my daughter.

Silver tone mini solid metal professional cycling keyring charm gift idea - posted from London only by Fat-catz
Offered by Fat-Catz-Copy-Catz (UK Seller)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty little thing, 20 Jan 2014
Given as a gift to a cyclist. It looks nice and substantial and not at all cheap and nasty. Decent value for money

Page: 1 | 2