ARRAY(0xa3190528)

Profile for zenadox > Reviews

Content by zenadox

zenadox

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
E-Squared: Nine Do-It-Yourself Energy Experiments That Prove Your Thoughts Create Your Reality
by Pam Grout
Price: 7.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but Lightweight, 21 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First the negatives: it's very americanised (i.e. happy happy) and would have you belief that smiles from kids you don't know are "gifts"... oh please! It's also got that dumbed-down Law of Attraction pseudo-science feel which tries to convince you that the world is yours just if you visualise it's yours.

If you can get past these two things, then the experiments are actually quite pleasant. The take-away from this book is that it's okay to be positive and expect good things even if you've failed in the past. I'd add that negative thoughts have their place too. Visualising Group4 security guarding your house might not be enough to have it not be burgled... Group4... oh never mind.

All in all, I like the experiments, they are a bit of fun and even if a strange kid smiles at you and you know it's not a gift from the Supreme one, you have to admit it kind of feels nice.

Fish Can't See Water: How National Culture Can Make or Break Your Corporate Strategy
by Kai Hammerich
Price: 13.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating and Essential for Overseas Work, 21 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a business overseas and have seriously struggled with cultural differences regarding work ethics and attitudes. This book has helped me to understand how to tap into the mindsets of those I am dealing with.

Everyone knows cultures are different but in business, you tend to think that people working for you will adopt your views. Obviously they won't because they can't - it's not in their mindset to act like me and prioritise my western values. My business strategy has to take this into consideration.

I'm still learning and have to practice what I'm preaching but I wish I had read this book some years ago, it would have saved quite a bit of stress.

Talent Intelligence: What You Need to Know to Identify and Measure Talent
Talent Intelligence: What You Need to Know to Identify and Measure Talent
by Nik Kinley
Price: 23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Advice, 21 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this book extremely useful in helping to understand how to spot talent not only in new people coming in but also in overlooked current employees. I'm currently going through the second half of the book again as it's this part that provides all the how-to's.

It's quite easy to read. I'm not an HR professional, merely a company owner, and I appreciated that the terminology was accessible and not overly HR-centric.

Scotch 'Precision' Scissors - 18 cm, Grey/Red, 1 Pair
Scotch 'Precision' Scissors - 18 cm, Grey/Red, 1 Pair
Price: 6.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Office, 1 Oct 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are great for general office use. They feel sturdy and durable and get through string, paper and cardboard quite easily.

The holes aren't very comfortable so I wouldn't use them for big jobs like dressmaking or shredding stacks of paper as the handles dig into your hand after a while.

Functionality wise, they cut things and are fine. 4 stars because they are not comfortable to use and can only be used for small jobs.

The Business of Being Social: A Practical Guide to Harnessing the power of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn & YouTube for all businesses
by Michelle Carvill
Price: 10.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Guides you through the hype, 1 Oct 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I dabbled in social media a few years ago and honestly truly hated it. Tweeting, facebooking, stumbling... all codswallop and an utter waste of precious time that could be spent directly on my business. I deleted all my accounts and have had an extremely happy few years away from the online fake-happiness.

But my partner decides it's time the business had a social presence and yours truly gets put in charge. I created my facebook and twitter accounts and the sickness in my gut made me decide I don't want to go into this alone. This book turned up to be my guide.

I was definitely not expecting too much but this book is a calming voice. It goes through the various platforms and helps you understand which ones are suitable and how to develop goals so you don't end up wasting time.

I'm still reading the book and deciding on the strategy before I leap in. I'm finding it useful as it's slowed down the "leap in first" tendency and making me think about what I want to achieve for the company. It's also a good outline of the platforms and although I'm only focusing on facebook at the moment, I can see the others being handy at some point.

Evil by Design: Interaction Design to Lead Us into Temptation
Evil by Design: Interaction Design to Lead Us into Temptation
by Chris Nodder
Price: 16.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for web designers and marketing people, 1 Oct 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think we all know that advertisers and marketeers play on our weaknesses to encourage us to buy their product. Websites are no exception. This book is a useful summary of the techniques and processes by which people can be encouraged to interact with your site more.

Andy Maslen is a copywriter and it's through his books I first learnt about using the 7 deadly sins in marketing. I love how this books takes the theme further. I am using some of these principles in a current site redesign and am having a lot of fun with it.

This book is a valuable addition for marketers and site designers who want to understand the psychology of decisions and yes, learn to manipulate them in others!

A lot of the information here is iterated on various blogs online (problogger, copyblogger and ramit sethi for example) - but this blog puts everthing together in one place and gives a lot more besides.

A very handy and useful read.

Homedics Circulation Device
Homedics Circulation Device
Price: 148.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives good relief for tired legs, 19 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't have any medical issues with my feet but I do like ending the day giving my feet a rub to loosen up any fatigue and help it find it's way out. I got this machine to see if it would be effective in this.

The results have been pleasing. It's easy to use and you can control the intensity of the "massage" - there are different ones you can choose from. It's not really a massage, the vibrations do their thing and it tingles a bit. It's not as tactile as a real foot rub but in some ways it's more convenient and effective. I've put it by my desk and use it 2 or 3 times a week for 15-25 minutes.

Apart from the tingly sensation, I don't really notice any miracle relaxation while using the machine or afterwards. The effect for me was that after using it a few times, one night I noticed that my feet didn't have any of the "end-of-day" fatigue. I stopped using it and of course it all went back to normal. So to reap the benefits of this little machine, it's best to find a way to incorporate it into your normal life in some way.

Russell Hobbs 18653 Auto Steam Pro Steam Generator, 2200 Watt, 3 Bar - Blue
Russell Hobbs 18653 Auto Steam Pro Steam Generator, 2200 Watt, 3 Bar - Blue
Price: 78.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional, 19 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a functional iron in that it does what it's supposed to. It holds a lot of water, releases a good quantity of steam and lets you get through piles of tumble-dryer-creased bedsheets much more easily than with a conventional steam iron. It feels strange that something so light can be so effective but it does work, even when you use it without steam.

Although it's light and I love the good job it does on my clothes, I still find myself using my old iron when I just have one or two items to do in a hurry. I'd probably use it for everyday needs if I had somewhere to leave it set out all the time. As it is, it only comes out on Sundays when I put a DVD in and settle down to a couple of hours of family ironing.

My biggest negative is that the water tank is bulky and gets very hot. It weighs a lot filled with water which means I can't use it on the hotel-style wall-mounted ironing board in the bedroom, only on my normal full-size board.

Biggest positives are that it gives a lovely finish on sheets and there are no drips while ironing.

Overall it has made my Sunday ironing stint easier so for that reason I can recommend this iron.

Tombstone: The Untold Story of Mao's Great Famine
Tombstone: The Untold Story of Mao's Great Famine
by Yang Jisheng
Price: 19.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 30 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a real eye-opener. My husband goes to China on business quite a bit and I wanted to understand a bit of the background and culture.

When I ordered this book, I thought I'd be getting an overview of a period. It turned out to be a horrific and detailed account of life under an inhumane regime.

It's a deep book with heavy political and historical references that made it slow-going. Parts of the book were over my head on the first read because I'm not a follower of politics. But I was moved enough to do my own research so I could understand more of the book. I've read this book twice now. It's very upsetting but it's opened my eyes to something I didn't even know was there.

Consider the Fork: A History of Invention in the Kitchen
Consider the Fork: A History of Invention in the Kitchen
by Bee Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun and enlightening read, 30 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. It's a historical romance where Romeo is Ingenuity and Juliet is Necessity. I love how it has given me more understanding about all the normal things I take for granted.

It would be a great present for people who are curious about the world around them. It's a well-researched book and the writing style is pleasant and absorbing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20