Profile for joseph77a > Reviews

Content by joseph77a

joseph77a "joseph77a" (Tyne & Wear, UK)

Lenovo IdeaPad U410 14-inch Touchscreen Ultrabook - Graphite (Intel Core i7 2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, Bluetooth, Webcam, Nvidia Graphics, Windows 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little laptop but still getting used to the Windows 8 quirks, 24 Dec. 2013
I purchased this laptop as a replacement for my dying a slow death HP laptop. After much research I decided to go for this one and I like pretty much everything about it so far.

Pros:
It's fast and responsive thanks to the i7 core processor and the 4gb of ram. Boot up and programm/app launched are generally quite quick.
It's just big enough to be a desktop replacement but small enough to be portable.
The 2gb Nvidia Graphics makes using watching and concert video easy, as well as using graphics based programmes a breeze with no lag or stuttering (please note that there actually 2 graphic cards,there intel card which is integrated within the i7 chip and Nvidia which has 2gb dediciated graphics. I researched this and found this to be quite common)
The 500gb hard drive has more than enough space for my music, ebooks and documents. Please not there is not a SSD installed, what you actually get is one hdd that is partitioned into 2 drives, a C drive with windows installed and with just under 400gb (425gb total) for personal storage and desktop programmes and the D drive with a total 25gb (22gb actually remaining) space for your metro apps.
Regardless of the lack of SSD i've not seen any lag in start up/boot time or even app launches.
Wifi - not had any problems so far with this and is generally quite responsive.
Keyboard - there is some give but nothing too problematic overall it's generally a good layout with good spacing, although having been used to HP and Toshiba laptops in the past it did take me about a week to get use the slight differences - and i still have issues with the page up/down, home and end buttons.
All the connection points are great, particularly the two 3.0 usbs ports and the full HDMI slot.
Touchscreen - so far my experience of the touch screen has been good and it useful when other elements don't always work the way you want them too.

Cons:
I so far dislike the touchpad which is very sensitive (I notice this most when in chrome, it will zoom into a page when you least expect it) and the left click button seems to only work consistently when you press the right into the corner.
Some of the preinstalled software is always something I dread when purchasing a laptop and whilst not overally full of bloatware there were some apps and programs I am going to get rid of.
No optical disk drive (though I did know this going in) and you will need to purchase an external one if you want to view DVDs - please note the native windows media player will not play DVDs so you will need to install a program like VLC player.
Dobly Home Theater driver problem - like others have mentioned I too had an issue after I had upgraded to windows 8.1. After a quick search all I needed to do was reinstall the relevant drivers with can be found on your D drive, and Bob's your uncle it was all sorted.
Battery life is variable depending on usage, if your wanting to be away from home a lot without the need to recharge then this may not be for you. But I regularly get about between 4-6 hours usage which is great for moving around the house and garden.

Stray observations (mostly about Windows 8/8.1):
Windows 8 takes some getting used to as does using the touchscreen, I constantly find myself using the touchpad until I remember that sometimes it's just easier to use the screen.
The Snap feature is useful for working on multiple documents.
Big upgrades in Windows can be a pain as it takes for every and day to restart after the an update. Hopefully now I've updated to 8.1 this should hopefully quite down.
Since updating things are set to integrate automatically with SkyDrive account it's annoyance because you only get 7gb of space when compared to your 500gb hdd. But I was was getting frustrated most when saving documents on the hdd from the web only to be presented with your SkyDrive account instead of my previous downloads folder, so I had to go in and change all my settings.

Conclusions:
Overall, I'm really pleased with my purchase and for £499.99 it was a bargin for the spec I got and whilst there are some little issues here and their these are not enough for me to hate my new laptop. Also the build and quality and design are lovely. I would recommend this laptop to anyone.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2014 1:32 PM GMT

Kingston ValueRAM - Memory - 1 GB - SO DIMM 200-pin - DDR II - 400 MHz / PC2-3200 - CL3 - 1.8 V - unbuffered - non-ECC

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathed life into my old laptop!!, 23 Feb. 2011
After 5 years my old Sony VGN was becoming so slow that I had to do something about it. After check i found that my 516mb memory was continually being eating away. So I took the plunge and invested in one of these last October and my laptop now has twice the memory and now works super quick. Arrived speedily and works a dream, so much so I've just purchased my second one. Highly Recommended!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2012 3:29 PM BST