Profile for Ricardo Manuel S. Parreira > Reviews

Content by Ricardo Manuel...

Ricardo Manuel S. Parreira "rmsp" (Lisbon, Portugal)

White Chalk
White Chalk

5.0 out of 5 stars music from another dimension, 6 Oct. 2007
This review is from: White Chalk (Audio CD)
When artists such as PJ Harvey manage to reinvent their musical world everytime they want, are brave enough to do so with a 180º turn, and are talented enough to pull it off brilliantly, then all those taking a fancy to her work should feel very happy...well...I do!! She has trodden a rather lonely road in a world where truly gifted musicians are very hard to come by, but she has always done it with style, confidence, tons of raw, sexually charged energy, and loads of talent. All of a sudden she gives us (her fans) White Chalk. I was taken aback, like many of you must have been too. It's eerie, it's calm and balmy, it's ethereal, it's earthy and also mystical, it's primal, it is a very beautiful record. More so than probably any of her previous records, this one has been critically acclaimed and is considered one of her best. This does not mean one should like it instantly. In fact, because it is such an exquisite piece of work, it may not even appeal to you. However, I hope you give it a try, and listen to it carefully. It is not one of those records to listen to in a hurry. Art is not ment to be rushed, so if you can take the time, prepare yourself to be transported to another time and dimension, and I hope you'll be touched by this awesome collection of songs as I have.

Our Love To Admire
Our Love To Admire
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent !, 11 July 2007
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
I'm not used to writing reviews, nor are these lines intended as such, but every once in a while I come across CDs which warrant my most sincere devotion, and "Our Love to Admire" is one of them. I will go straight to the point: the sole reason why you should buy this album right away is simply because it is absolutely magnificent! The bass sound, so clearly present in the previous albums (where it set a "gloomy" ambiance for most songs, very characteristic of Interpol's previous work), has been toned down. Guitars, on the other hand, have distinctively taken over almost every song. Therefore, "Our love..." sounds a little different (just a little brighter) but it still sounds very much like Interpol. Apart from the enticing "Heinrich Maneuver", the other songs may not as "immediate" to the first-time listener (especially if you compare them to those in "Antics"), but they'll grow on you pretty fast, believe me. Personally speaking, it took me a few hours to get over the album's first track (the beautiful "Pioneer To The Falls"), and although I've heard it a "million" times, it still makes my skin crawl (I guess it always will)...and I can't help smirking every time I hear "Rest my Chemistry", my favourite song on this album. In my very humble opinion this is not only Interpol's best record, but definitely the best I've heard in 2007, and one of the best released in a long time. Am I exaggerating? Well...you may think so ...but you know what?..."Our Love to Admire" has grown on me to the point of addiction.

PJ Harvey: On Tour - Please Leave Quietly [DVD] [2006]
PJ Harvey: On Tour - Please Leave Quietly [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ P.J. Harvey

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning !, 7 May 2006
I'll tell you one thing...after viewing this DVD it'll be very difficult to "leave" your room "quietly". PJ Harvey did not want it to be a "smooth, slick concert" and this is exactly what she delivered. It's a very personal, sometimes self-conducted, collection of interviews and moments on stage, and behind the stage, exuding sensuality and the raw energy of PJ Harvey's concerts with song covering most of her career. At the same time, this brilliantly directed glimpse of what being on the road with PJ Harvey feels like is also an intimate portrait of the "Uh Huh Her" tour. Despite the fact that her fans had been long waiting for the release of this DVD, the waiting was all worth while as "Please leave quietly" is absolutely stunning.

Is This Desire?
Is This Desire?

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome piece of music, 17 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Is This Desire? (Audio CD)
Have you ever fallen totally, and utterly, in love with an album before? Well...I have...it's called Is This Desire? From Angeline to Is This Desire? Polly Jean leads you on a complex journey during which she'll introduce you to a number of female characters, recreating diverse ambiances as she moves along the record. I have listened to it hundreds of times but haven't yet come close to getting tired of it. On the contrary...You might not agree with me, especially if you are not acquainted with PJ Harvey's music and have chosen Is This Desire? to start discovering her work. In this case try Stories From the City Stories From the Sea. But if you're willing to venture on one of the music journeys of you life, run to the record store and get yourself Is This Desire? Enjoy!